View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 6:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Early Ami 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Early Ami
Seamseal pidgeonshit weld and rust abound.
It seems that the seamseal has caused things to rot along the seams as opposed to protecting them for some reason

The inner A panel going up towards the dash has split from its welds along where it meets the pedal panel
After the seam sealant was pulled away it came loose.
So after the 2 selftappers I put in were removed and a little slice was taken from the outer A panel... This lot came off in my hand without a fight
Leaving me this is a sort of datum to work from, (so it will be staying for now while I measure and make bits)

So at the end of play today I have nearly finished making an inner to replace the bit thats fallen off, it still needs fettling though
Obviously it is not something I can afford to rush and before I can go any further I need to adjust the other front wing for fit (A Good Reference point so the bonnet aligns up) and then take the wing on this side off.

November 25th, 2012, 10:32 pm
Firing on two.

Ouch! Good luck with that.

November 25th, 2012, 11:01 pm
Firing on two.

Joolz wrote:
Ouch! Good luck with that.

As mental as it sounds Its not much worse than the other side and actually better in places :lol:
The added bonus is I now know to do the pillar before I do anything silly like cut the floor out again.
The floor on this side is mostly solid however I have a new one and a sill so they will be replaced.
On this side I am going to do the Pillar, align it, check the door shuts, trial fit the door.

THEN and only then I will brace the hell out of it so everything stays put ,sill off, floor out and replace.
Its no five minute job though, so dont go holding your breath. :lol:

November 25th, 2012, 11:35 pm
Firing on two.

It's all progress, a step closer to it being finished.

November 25th, 2012, 11:48 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Looking at the pics your doing a great job, another saved from the dust........

When you looked at Amis even left fresh from factory; doors fenders boots and bonnets didn't line up properly... (in all directions.)
Looking at some advertising flyers from Citroen it even looked shit at some... So don't wurry be happy :D :D :D with it as it is. (Do your best and leave it that way)...

I know at least 1 Ami which couldn't open the right backdoor (little mistake when welding new sills) and you couldn't see it at the gaps they wher spot on....

It's a 40/50 years old Citroen and no new Toyobushi Matata with seams/gaps of 2mm.

When you look for perfection you can look from behind the car and see that all fenders and doors are in 1 flight, (hope you get what I mean) haven't found one which hasn't a little dent at the B pillar, getting the dent out means theres a gap between door and rubber............
So I gave up to get it perfect.......

Russ

November 25th, 2012, 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
It's all progress, a step closer to it being finished.

Very true, have you noticed that the thread has gone from optimimism ("It cant be that bad")
Into the Oooh shit it is a bit rough.

and finally resigned well its fooked but lets try get it sorted anyhow.

November 26th, 2012, 12:14 am
Firing on two.

lpgo wrote:
Looking at the pics your doing a great job, another saved from the dust........

When you looked at Amis even left fresh from factory; doors fenders boots and bonnets didn't line up properly... (in all directions.)
Looking at some advertising flyers from Citroen it even looked shit at some... So don't wurry be happy :D :D :D with it as it is. (Do your best and leave it that way)...

I know at least 1 Ami which couldn't open the right backdoor (little mistake when welding new sills) and you couldn't see it at the gaps they wher spot on....

It's a 40/50 years old Citroen and no new Toyobushi Matata with seams/gaps of 2mm.

When you look for perfection you can look from behind the car and see that all fenders and doors are in 1 flight, (hope you get what I mean) haven't found one which hasn't a little dent at the B pillar, getting the dent out means theres a gap between door and rubber............
So I gave up to get it perfect.......

Thanks Lpgo , I am making this stuff up as I go along, I seriously doubt I would have got this far without all the helpful comments/pictures and even the "Rather you than me pal" comments :lol:

As for door shuts and panel alignment, It is one of my fetishes.
I just cannot help myself and It all comes from an Old Morris Minor I restored once, my first big resto. That car looked the nuts but I was never 100% happy with the thing cos the shell sprung on me as I welded in new floors.
Nobody else noticed but I did and that was enough for me.
I had 2 choices in the end cut the thing up and start again or sell it.
I sold it :lol:
Saying that I know that door gaps were never all that good from the factory but if I can get them close to right I will be happy.
and yes I know exactly what you mean by the flight.
If the swage lines up and you look along the car and things are straight then all is well

November 26th, 2012, 12:32 am
Firing on two.

was it a traveller? i see some wood has made its way into the door pillar of the Ami :D

November 26th, 2012, 9:30 am
Firing on two.

Sean wrote:
was it a traveller? i see some wood has made its way into the door pillar of the Ami :D

Traveller :lol: Nope it was a 2 Door in a fetching shade of Hyster forklift Yellow.
Nice warmed over A series (the other A series) A Plus, Nice bouncy cam, Duplex 1275 bored out to 1380 Omega pistons gasflowed, tuftrided, blueprinted, cut and turned LCB, into a Cherrybomb, Log Inlet manifold, 1 3/4" Su for reliability, Sierra 5 Speed Gearbox
and all on stock brakes suspension and rims :lol:
Fun car though, It was great Flashing Mercs and Volvos in the fastlane out of the way.
Wonder how many luxobarges got sent in for a service as a result, "Theres something wrong with this thing The other day I had a Moggie Minor in my rearview and I couldnt shake it off"

November 26th, 2012, 9:15 pm
Firing on two.

Hello Mr Unhinged i was wondering where you got your sill panels from? i have tried the normal places but failed...
Are they from SPOG ?

Thanks Ben

November 27th, 2012, 10:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next