View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 My '87 Grey Charleston 
Firing on two.

Post My '87 Grey Charleston
Hi all, after happily lurking (and posting a bit) over the past few months I thought it was high time to share mine with everyone, so here goes:

This is as it came to me in Sept last year after I'd viewed/driven five others in various states of disintegration over the preceeding two months! Already on an 18 year old galvanised chassis, I was fortunate with this one in that the previous owner, a fellow enthusiast, had virtually rebuilt the engine the previous winter and his wife was using the car as daily transport since then and as it was going to be used by me in much the same way this suited me fine. I wasn't looking for concours or a restoration project and not that concerned with originality, but wanted a useable classic vehicle. Seen here receiving its first Cat scan :lol:

As his fabulous rebuild had included a new clutch, new 9:1 pistons/barrels, new fuel pump, new oil cooler and much more, including resprayed secondhand wings front and rear and refurbed suspension, all done 'in house' as it were, I was content to just get on and use it, which I did. What a laugh, Grin Factor 10! Then, after discovering that there is virtually no part unavailable either new or refurb/secondhand, I decided to refurb the seats completely, which meant replacing the non original front cloth seats with the original ones (which came with the car) and fitting a nice bespoke seat cover set to match the red pinstripes I'd put on the outside in an effort to brighten it up a bit. New wheels and Michelin 135's all round, massively expensive but worth every penny, believe me. Also, I went for new carpets too as the old ones smelt of Stale Dog. I quite like the tubular bumpers but removed them anyway and using a mixture of eBay and new parts (front bumper mainly) furnished the car with original stuff, although rivet counters will no doubt point out that they are not actually Charleston Grey but neither are the wheels.

Thats pretty much it so far, apart from some tidying up under the bonnet and inside the car. It has a small oil weep from the RH cylinder head area which I can live with for the moment as Spring is here and time to remove my radiator muff and roll back the hood! Trips so far, apart from regular drive to work stuff, have included a couple of runs with a local group and one hilarious trip to a party at Blandford in Dorset with a mate. Loaded with two tents and two persons camping gear we bounced all the way there and back for a measly £23 in petrol. Amazing! Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Chris2cv on March 27th, 2012, 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

March 26th, 2012, 9:47 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: My '87 Grey Charleston
Very tidy! Good to hear of these cars getting a good use.

March 26th, 2012, 9:53 pm
Firing on two.

This was Martyn Beer & Heather Royle's old Charleston I think? I remember seeing it around back in the late 90s. Was in good condition then, glad to see it is still around and being used!

1979 2cv6 (Evie)
1983 Beachcomber (Mavis)
1974 AZU250 Belgian PO (The van)
1991 AXGT Mk1
2008 C5 2.0 HDi VTR+

March 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Firing on two.

Hi Will. Yes you're absolutely right. Sent off to the DVLA for the complete keeper history and they show that they kept it for a quite while, then sold it on. How interesting somebody should recognise it.

March 27th, 2012, 1:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]