View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Barbot Special 

Post Barbot Special
OK - bit of a cheat as this isn't my A-series....yet. This is a project for later this year. Photos are mainly from the existing Barbot Special made by MWR in London (?) which is pretty accurate including complicated stuff like shortened chassis that I am too much of a klutz to consider doing.

Any suggestions, ideas, etc. on how to build this will be much appreciated. I'm tempted to do away with the idea of doors, and to have a solid metal rear 'boot' panel rather than the lovely but impractical fabric seen here.

May 7th, 2009, 10:16 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Barbot Special
Have you seen that car in the flesh? it might be worth a trip to MWR to see it and get inspiration/ask questions!

I think a lot of what you're asking depends on how close a replica you want, if you wanted just an open top cut down 2cv, and it didn't have to be a replica of this you could be quite creative! There's quite a lot involved in making something like that, apart from the bonnet and maybe rear wings there doesn't seem to be a great deal of 2cv in the bodywork at all.

You could buy a cheap old ripple and make a close replica with a 500cc kit (if you can find one) and a fair bit of sheetmetal work!

edit: summat like this would be ideal!

http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/44675970.htm?ca=17_s

May 7th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Thanks Russell for the advice.

I've not seen the MWR car in the flesh - has anyone else on here? Loads of pics of that and the replica in France. As you say, it is mainly metal fabrication rather than 2cv! I want it to feel '50's but will probably base it on a more recent rolling chassis/ bodyshell/ bulkhead and work from there. Maybe have a look at a ripple though - will see when I get some garage space again. One thing a man should never do - willingly give up his garage, even if it makes a nice garden!!!

Some more pics, hopefully:

May 10th, 2009, 12:04 pm
super slot

what's the bottom pic? I'm guessing it's not the Barbot above as it has a sheet metal rear end?

May 10th, 2009, 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I guess the fabric instead of sheet metal saves a lot of weight? But when not racing, it's not that important.
I like the headlight solution on the Barbot. Will it get hard to build a good looking windscreen? A full size one?

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

May 10th, 2009, 2:42 pm

The bottom pic was from a Google hunt, it is a Dutch home build in the spirit of the Barbot. Actually looked pretty cool with paint, but no way would I want the modern seat and the cowl after the driver's head. I used Babelfish to translate the forum, it was hilarious, total gobbledigook!

I'll try to fabricate a small racing screen from Perspex like the original.

Tom

May 10th, 2009, 8:20 pm
im 99.9% sure that barbot was parked round the corner to me under a car cover and on the rare chance when the owner cleaned it or used it there was a sticker from a charitable organisation with a child crying on it. I havnt seen it outside his house for a while now.

June 2nd, 2009, 12:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]