View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Willamis old car 
Firing on two.

Location: Alone in my polytunnel with my pitiful competition onions
Post Re: Willamis old car
Willami wrote:
Rhythm Thief wrote:
Volvo 144s are lovely, good choice. I speak as another forum member who's defected from an Ami 6, in my case to a Series 2a Land Rover. Which is not lovely. Although I must admit, I do quite like it. 8-)

Hey Mr. Thief...yeah, I've always wanted an old Volvo. Originally after an Amazon but a good one is 7 or 8 grand - way beyond me at the moment, the 144 is a very good compromise. Ultimately I'd like a 1800ES (the saint's car with a quirky glass hatchback)

Land Rovers are inherently cool - but I'm guessing fuel is as issue, as with mine...can you convert to LPG?

I had a few Volvos, including a black 240 GLT estate (which was cool as f**k) and a 1962 Amazon with the 1.6 engine. I found later (much later) that my Amazon was the official Volvo demonstrator from way back, whcih was why it was loaded with every concievable extra. It was knackered though, to the point where I had an angry phone call from the bloke who'd bought it unseen on ebay and tried to drive it back to Brighton from Wolverhampton. Well, I ask you.
The Land Rover is being converted to diesel, slowly, which will not only be more efficient but will mean I can run it on any old shit - used engine oil, brake fluid, veg oil, whatever. That should make it a bit cheaper ... I'm looking forward to the summer when I can take the truck cab off and drive it as a convertible.
Sorry Russ ... OT. Back to your Ami.

February 28th, 2012, 4:14 pm
Firing on two.

Take a look at Volvo Sugga on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg7DpkR37bY

February 28th, 2012, 6:03 pm
Firing on two.

wiltz wrote:
Take a look at Volvo Sugga on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg7DpkR37bY

there's one of those up for sale on car and classics at the moment - I love the way the back has the lines of a PV544....

yeah, anyway - back to Amis (before get into trouble) :lol:

February 29th, 2012, 12:55 pm
Firing on two.

Rhythm Thief wrote:
Willami wrote:
Rhythm Thief wrote:
Volvo 144s are lovely, good choice. I speak as another forum member who's defected from an Ami 6, in my case to a Series 2a Land Rover. Which is not lovely. Although I must admit, I do quite like it. 8-)

Hey Mr. Thief...yeah, I've always wanted an old Volvo. Originally after an Amazon but a good one is 7 or 8 grand - way beyond me at the moment, the 144 is a very good compromise. Ultimately I'd like a 1800ES (the saint's car with a quirky glass hatchback)

Land Rovers are inherently cool - but I'm guessing fuel is as issue, as with mine...can you convert to LPG?

I had a few Volvos, including a black 240 GLT estate (which was cool as f**k) and a 1962 Amazon with the 1.6 engine. I found later (much later) that my Amazon was the official Volvo demonstrator from way back, whcih was why it was loaded with every concievable extra. It was knackered though, to the point where I had an angry phone call from the bloke who'd bought it unseen on ebay and tried to drive it back to Brighton from Wolverhampton. Well, I ask you.
The Land Rover is being converted to diesel, slowly, which will not only be more efficient but will mean I can run it on any old shit - used engine oil, brake fluid, veg oil, whatever. That should make it a bit cheaper ... I'm looking forward to the summer when I can take the truck cab off and drive it as a convertible.
Sorry Russ ... OT. Back to your Ami.

Yeah, before the Ami I had a LHD 240 estate in Fjord Green, great car....had an ECU though, which ironically was what got me into an A-Series.....still, back to Volvo now

February 29th, 2012, 12:57 pm
Firing on two.

Nice to hear from you Will, I can understand why you'd be a little defensive, I don't like seeing what other people do to my cars after I've sold them. I was going to make this really really low and bugger about with it but I drove it down the lane at work at 900mph and didn't feel a single bump, maybe I'm getting old but that seemed to be more convenient than driving down it in first with the axle bolts sparking on every loose bit of gravel. I am old.

I hope you think the rest of the work is OK, It really only needed a good polish and some tarting up. The mechanics need more looking at but it's not all bad, maybe I made it out to be worse than it is, then again when something doesn't start in the morning it makes me want to kill with my bare hands. I haven't killed yet, but it's probably only a matter of time.

March 2nd, 2012, 8:10 pm
Firing on two.

Left it alone for a week and it started up first time. I'm pleased. Now, why shouldn't I polish my car with 'Meguiars mirror glaze' mold (bloody yanks) release wax? I only ask because the day before I went on me hols I did polish it with this stuff because my boss left a tin in the workshop and I wondered if it'd work as a car polish, the result left the car looking incredibly shiny and after a week of being left outside its still got a really nice sheen to it and the water is beading up nicely. It's free, it makes the ca shiny and lasts well. Are there likely to be any cons to it?

March 3rd, 2012, 7:26 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
Are there likely to be any cons to it?

If you need to repair it with fiberglass, you'll have difficulty getting it to stick?

March 4th, 2012, 12:47 am
Firing on two.

I did a bit of googling, it seems like its quite good as car wax!

March 4th, 2012, 3:59 am
Firing on two.

Hi Russ, glad it’s starting better. I always found it to be a great starter to be honest, it was always sat outside on the north side of my house, so cold, wet and frosty.

I’ve noticed some A-Series owners; first thing they do is slam the accelerator to the floor and start pumping away whilst pulling on the starter. I never did this. Even on a really cold morning, choke out about half way and press the pedal about 10mm, in warm weather almost rest your foot on it – choke out half way still. Pulled the starter and it would fire straight away. Never had foot on clutch either. The odd other person who started it cold (MOT man, Gary Dicks) all commented what a good starter it was, hence my surprise when you said about starting.

Maybe you’ve sussed this but try my method next time you are having a job starting it.

Yeah, keep us up to date on how it’s looking. All the best mate
Will
Russell wrote:
Nice to hear from you Will, I can understand why you'd be a little defensive, I don't like seeing what other people do to my cars after I've sold them. I was going to make this really really low and bugger about with it but I drove it down the lane at work at 900mph and didn't feel a single bump, maybe I'm getting old but that seemed to be more convenient than driving down it in first with the axle bolts sparking on every loose bit of gravel. I am old.

I hope you think the rest of the work is OK, It really only needed a good polish and some tarting up. The mechanics need more looking at but it's not all bad, maybe I made it out to be worse than it is, then again when something doesn't start in the morning it makes me want to kill with my bare hands. I haven't killed yet, but it's probably only a matter of time.

March 5th, 2012, 1:34 pm
Firing on two.

one slight caveat to that.....hot starting in hot summer, had to go for the foot to floor method......

March 5th, 2012, 7:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next