View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Dave 411's 1967 AK350. 
super slot

Post Dave 411's 1967 AK350.
*EDIT* This is Dave 411's van, not mine! (Sean) :roll:

The following posts have been copied from the 2CVGB forum - Before anyone says owt, Dave's asked me to do this!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So,I was looking for a van and put posts everywhere I could think of.I received an email from Pete and Bev saying that another member wanted to sell his AK 350,but hadnt advertised the fact.
I sent him an email,and he kindly sent me a load of very good pics.
The van was in Burton,Staffs,and I made arrangements to go and veiw it.When I saw it I was overjoyed,It looked great.Went for a run,very noisey compared to my cars,also,never driven a left hooker before,that was strange too.I was left alone to give it a good look over.It all looked fine.The inside needs a good going over and it has a bench seat in the front which will be replaced by original seats(when I find some).The floor in the front has been repaired,so new floors will be going in also.
The rear panel has also been repaired,depending on cost,I may have that done at the same time as the floors.
Since getting the van 3 weeks ago,all I have done is fit door locks and replaced the flick ignition switch for a proper switch with a key.
I will be taking the engine and gearbox out to fix some oil leaks and at the same time I will fit a new clutch and cable,its a bit sticky.I think I may also change the colour of the wheels and front bumper,its crying out for a creamy colour,dont you think.
So,I would like to thank Ronan Sill for selling the van to me,he is a real enthusiast,and has a lovely red 2cv,and his lovley wife for the tea and home made cake.

I,ll put some pics here as I go along,but that wont be for a few weeks.

I will get the paint code and post it tommorow.Its a strange colour,in the pics it looks really blue,but in real life its more grey.

The colour code is AC 609 and its called Bleu Neve :)

February 7th, 2012, 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
super slot

Post Re: Dave's 1967 AK350.
So,the Red Spesh is finished and the garage is clear.
Brought the Van home yesterday and made a start.
Seat out and attacked the "French " repaired floor.Now,I was going to have to replace the floors,I was aware of that fact,but now the "repaired" floor is up,It will now want the toe board and possibly the sills doing as well.I didnt really want to take the body off the chassis,but I think I will have to now to do a proper job.I will post pics later today,forgot my camera! :roll:

February 7th, 2012, 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
super slot

Some pics of the corrosion damage that was under the repired floor.
I have made a start on removing the engine and gerabox,then the boddy will come of in preperation for the new floors,sills and toe board.
Oh how I wish I'd learnt to weld when I was younger :roll:

February 7th, 2012, 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
super slot

O.K. the engine is out,

and is now in bits

have new barrels and pistons to go in.It is filthy at the moment,

a good clean and then I will split the crankcases to have a look inside and fit a new oil pump.
The body is ready to come off the chassis,i am praying the chassis is alright and not corroded through any where.I will take the van to work next week and lift the body off,pics to follow.

February 7th, 2012, 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
super slot

Cleaned the outside of the engine,now I have split the crankcases.

My main concern about this engine was the Internal oil filter.It was pretty mucky,so a good clean and its good as new.
No real problems inside,just a few marks on one of the cam followers,will fit a new one if the one I ordered from Franzose is the correct one?
One thing that I find strange is the timing gear on the camshaft.Its in two halfs and is sprung loaded.Must advance/retard I suppose.I will look into this as I cant see what I really does.
The crank seals are rock hard,no wonder the engine was so dirty.

February 7th, 2012, 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
super slot

Ok,it finally stopped raining for a short while,so I quickly put the van onto a trailer and took it to work,where the body and chasiss parted company! :mrgreen:

It just lifted straight off,not sticking anywhere.

Mind you.it would with our fork lift.

While waiting for this,I have been busy cleaning and fiddling with some other bits.

A few small holes in the manifold were brazed up, as were the feet on the exhaust side.

I stripped and cleaned the windscreen wipers,the motor was filthy,as was the gearbox.A good wash with brake cleaner and they look as good as new.Re greased the gears,maybe they will go a bit faster now,the old grease was more like tar.The wiper spindles were in perfect condition.I was able to strip them right down as they are held together with a nut,not a crimp.They just needed a good clean and new o rings to seal them up.The body has a brass bushing inside so wear was negiligable.

Next thing is to strip the chasiss.I will make a start on that tommorow,wife permiting
I am well pleased with it.It looks really solid.A good clean and paint,squirt with Bilt Hammer, jobs a good un.

February 7th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
super slot

So now I have the chasiss at home in my den,whoops,garage.
Time to start stripping.

I am really amazed how easy everything came off.No seized bolts,nothing snapped off,just one shock absorber bush stuck on its mount.That came off with the Vice Grips. :D

Every thing is just caked with french mud and hard grease.And when I say hard,more solid really.
I will clean everthing and give it a lick of paint over the next few weeks.
Stripped the steering rack.

Another thing that amazes me is the amount of wear on the steering and suspension parts,there isnt any.The steering arms have slight markings on the balls,the ones one the steering rack are like new.
There were no gaiters on the steering arms,dry as a bone,but no wear,amazing.

One of the Batteurs has had it,

And there is an excessive amount of wear on this,

I have been told that spog used to do an exchange pedal box,e mail sent,awaiting reply.

Oh,and this little blue sticker was on the rear axle.Looks like a stock number or something similar.It is only a paper sticker,its been there for a long time,amazing.

February 7th, 2012, 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
super slot

February 7th, 2012, 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
super slot

Post Re: Dave 411's 1967 AK350.
I thought I had encounterd a major problem,but no,It has turned out ok.
A driveshaft gaiter had split so needed replacing.No problem,speak to Roy and order two new ones.Wrong.

Now,here you can see the driveshafts and gaiters.The gaiter is quite long,like two stuck together,but it is one.So,i start looking for said part.All the pictures I come accross show a small gaiter.to be held on with rubber bands?
Sent a picture to Roy,he has never seen them before,spoke to Rick Pembro,he has never heard of an elongated gaiter either.Now my a--- is begining to twitch,and I am thinking super glue
I finally ordered two "small" gaiters from Roy,just to see what they look like.Now,please bare/bear in mind that I have never seen this type of driveshaft before,so I assumed that the gaiters on them were the correct ones.Wrong.Never assume
The new ones arrived yesterday and as soon as I saw them,bang,it hit me like a steam train.What a dick.

In this pic the two shafts are shown,one with the original long gaiter,the other with the short gaiter.
As you can see,it fits.The long one covers the entire"double cardan",the small one covers only the gap between the metal cups covering the joints.Simples.Now I just have to sort out the rubber bands that hold them in place(theres a lip on the metal cup.and a groove on the inside of the gaiter,the lip goes inside the groove).

Panic over.

February 7th, 2012, 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
super slot

Post Re: Dave 411's 1967 AK350.

Fitted some grease nipples to the steering arms.

Gave the horn a bit of a spruce up.

The suspension tie rod ends were covered in rock hard grease.Probably 40 odd years old.

ave them a good clean,you can see a groove worn in them.I was going to replace them all,but after speaking to Ken,he suggested polishing them with a small grinding stone,did the trick,brilliant.Saved myself nearly £100 .And have still got the original rock hard eyes fitted.Wonderful.

After a good polish/grind.

February 7th, 2012, 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 204 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next