View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 9:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Dad's 1988 Bleu Celeste 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Dad's 1988 Bleu Celeste
You legend!

January 16th, 2016, 2:10 am
Aircooled Idiot

Ive worked a lot with plastic. Sorry to be negative towards your genious idea, but epoxy wont stick for long on plastic. It works at first then after time peels.

You need a plastic welder, which if you read between the lines is a hot air gun with a more sophisticated temp setting. Its a bit like tig welding, but with plastic. You melt the area around whilst feeding in new plastic through a nozzle on the gun.
Ive tried every glue with plastic, none succesful, sadly!

It looks very good!

Id love to bring my hilux doors down to you to get you to cut the bottoms off and re make them! As they are a tad rotten

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

January 24th, 2016, 6:17 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Thanks for the warning, I'll keep an eye on it. I did melt it together beneath the epoxy, with my dedicated plastic welder (cook's blow torch :P ), so hopefully it should last a while. It's not as though there's anything to loose by trying. I have a small reflow station for soldering now, the temp control on that is probably more suitable for future repairs I suppose. Any idea what sort of plastic they're made from, and what filler would be suitable?

January 24th, 2016, 12:01 pm
Firing on two.

J-dub wrote:
Ive worked a lot with plastic. Sorry to be negative towards your genious idea, but epoxy wont stick for long on plastic. It works at first then after time peels.

You need a plastic welder, which if you read between the lines is a hot air gun with a more sophisticated temp setting. Its a bit like tig welding, but with plastic. You melt the area around whilst feeding in new plastic through a nozzle on the gun.
Ive tried every glue with plastic, none succesful, sadly!

It looks very good!

Id love to bring my hilux doors down to you to get you to cut the bottoms off and re make them! As they are a tad rotten

There are so many different plastics, you can't just say that epoxy won't hold on plastic.

January 24th, 2016, 7:03 pm
Firing on two.

Gas Mark 5 wrote:
Any idea what sort of plastic they're made from, and what filler would be suitable?

From same light pod where you took the mounting part. Then it must be same plastic...

These can be also "welded" with soldering iron, I have repaired some plastic toys of our kids with soldering iron, and surprise, they haven't teared again...

January 24th, 2016, 7:18 pm
Aircooled Idiot

well every plastic I have tried has failed. Be it boats, bits of mobile phone etc etc.

I am not sure what type of plastic they are made of, but if you have an old one that is knackered, cut a small chunk off, set fire to it and hold it up and if it drips that tells you if its polyethylene or polypropylene

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

January 24th, 2016, 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

"Polypipe Solvent Cement is an adhesive for non-pressure thermoplastic piping systems. Suitable for use on uPVC, ABS, muPVC and cPVC systems."

I wonder if there's a method which would determine whether or not 2CV plastic headlamp shells are ABS?
Citroen do have previous with that material... ;)

January 24th, 2016, 8:00 pm
Firing on two.

J-dub wrote:
well every plastic I have tried has failed. Be it boats, bits of mobile phone etc etc.

I am not sure what type of plastic they are made of, but if you have an old one that is knackered, cut a small chunk off, set fire to it and hold it up and if it drips that tells you if its polyethylene or polypropylene

At least for polyethylene there is no glue in this world that really sticks to it. For a lot of other plastics, epoxy based glue works quite well, if the surface is properly prepared.

January 25th, 2016, 12:47 am
Firing on two.

Not very healthy but it could be useful: http://www.boedeker.com/burntest.htm

January 25th, 2016, 12:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5