View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 My new 2CV, running restoration. In theory.. 
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Post Re: My new 2CV, running restoration. In theory..
Pretty well?
Guess that's why so many of the b@ggers unwound themselves with only the factory staking/peening holding things together, same goes for the poor design of those rear nuts... :roll:
The older stuff had castellated nuts and split pins preventing the rear nuts from escaping, but then the accountants had their say, over-riding the engineers.

April 1st, 2015, 1:19 am
Haggis Muncher

Oi! Stop putting words in my mouth ya lanky git! I said it had been DONE in the factory, not done WELL :lol:

April 1st, 2015, 10:20 am
Firing on two.

Update time! I've moved again, this time to a new place with a double garage, so for the first time in my life I have all my cars and car stuff in the same building! 8-) I've been busy making a bench and fitting power sockets etc but now it's all ready to go. Apologies for the crap quality photos, I've lost my camera.

So I started off dusting down the chassis and trying to remind myself where I last left things, rebuilding the chassis ready to pop the body back on.

First on the list was cleaning up the fuel tank and fittings, and attaching it to the chassis.

Next I got the engine up on the bench to check things over.

Bear in mind last time this engine ran was over 3 years ago. On trying to turn it over by hand it seemed to get stuck so I took out the plugs and shone a torch down the holes.

One side looked fine, the other suspiciously rusty looking..

So off with the heads to see what's what.

One barrel looked perfect but the other was a bit crusty. Evidence of water sitting in the barrel for a while, must have been when I pressure washed it before putting it away.

Took the barrel off and cleaned it up, but I don't think it's salvageable.

Luckily the piston looks ok, I've left it soaking in degreaser but all the rings move and it's not very corroded so fingers crossed. The cyl' head looks salvageable, I'll take the valves out and see how it is.

So it looks like I need at minimum a new barrel, Ecas sell a single 602 barrel, see here

http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/barrel-on ... p-970.html

Looks like it's a straight swap but I always thought pistons and barrels had to be matched? Perhaps it would be ok because my engine shows almost no signs of wear, it's only done 50 thou.

I know in an ideal world I should change both barrels and pistons but it seems a shame as it's only one side affected by water ingress and it ran so well before being stripped. There is also the fact that I don't really have £200 spare at the moment.

Oh the joys..

1989 2CV6 (what's a D*lly?), 1989 MG 1275 powered mini, Renault Trafic.

October 22nd, 2015, 9:59 pm
Firing on two.

Nice to see you haven't given up on it.
On the road for next summer then?

October 22nd, 2015, 10:11 pm
Firing on two.

Not sure about the valves if they are that rusty......

1966 Ami Break

October 22nd, 2015, 10:18 pm
Firing on two.

Haha never surrender! That's my motto. I've been moving about so much the past 2 years it's gone from lock up to lock up (5 to be exact) but finally it's at home so it should be on the road next year. I bloody hope so anyway, I've got an acadiane waiting patiently in the queue but that's not getting touched til the 2CV is done. Happy days.

October 22nd, 2015, 10:20 pm
Firing on two.

I think the valves are ok, just need a go over with the wire wheel. I'm most worried about the valve seats, will strip the head tomorrow and investigate. The head looks worse than it is, I think it's just furry aluminium and surface rust, there's no pitting that I can see.

October 22nd, 2015, 10:24 pm
Firing on two.

Got the head stripped and cleaned up today.

Before

And after.

The valves are totally fine on the crucial faces, exhaust valve seat is a little pitted, I guess that valve was open when it was sitting. A good lapping should have it sorted, it's not much worse than the other side which seems normal.

October 23rd, 2015, 8:22 pm
Firing on two.

Happy new year all!! Got a bit sorted over Christmas break. This post will be a bit picture heavy as I often really struggle finding decent photos to reference this type of work, hopefully it'll help someone else some day.

The valve seats cleaned up very well after a thorough lapping, after spending a couple of hours doing one side by hand I rigged up a bit of rubber tube with a couple of jubilee clips and a bit of threaded bar in the drill, worked pretty well and was faster than by hand.

I bought a 9.0:1 cr barrel and piston set from Ecas, I was a bit begrudged spending so much money when I only really needed one side but in the end it wasn't much more expensive than all the standards bits for one side once you added it all up, plus it'll make the engine a bit more spritely.

Nice quality bits from Ecas

Fitted the rings to the pistons, the three oil oil control rings set 120 degrees apart and then the other two offset. This makes for a better initial start up and bedding in and is more efficient at scraping oil from the barrel walls. This is information I learned after already fitting one side with the three oil control rings spaced the same and the other two just randomly spaced. Note my experimental ring compressor in the penultimate pic. This didn't work that well, I ended up putting a light oil on the rings and compressing them with my fingers, slipped in great with a bit of wiggling. Fitting piston rings is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. Etc.

Next I changed the clutch for a new Valeo one

And fitted the heads with new valve stem seals, set the valve clearances and fitted new rocker cover gaskets. All went pretty smoothly, minus a slight mis-calculation with an online torque converter.

I only snapped one head stud but changed all three on that side as a precautionary measure. I now have a laminated torque conversion chart above my workbench...

I then built up the rest of the engine, cleaning and painting bits as I went.
[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/panelbeaterpeter/media/IMG_8391_zpsy8tcqdjk.jpg.html]
Image[/URL]

I then stripped and cleaned and checked over the carb, generally looked good, apart from a lot of crap in the bottom of the float chambers.

Made some new insulator block gaskets from gasket paper

Just waiting for the carb top gasket from Ecas and it'll be ready to fit to the engine.

Next my attentions turned to the gearbox.

I had looked inside here before when Martin (Smyth602) showed me how to peen over the selector ring so knew roughly what I was looking at. As usual, there were just three badly peened sections. I took a few videos as I went with the gearbox to show exactly what areas to peen as I struggled finding decent info on it.

Video showing factory peening.

https://youtu.be/i98qjTuHSVY

Video showing additional peening I added.

https://youtu.be/o9P0iJTGYP8

I then drained out the oil

Which showed signs of water contamination, most likely from when I pressure washed it a couple of years ago. Luckily it doesn't seem to have damaged anything.

I then removed the rear cover to check the main shaft and pinion nut were tight. Signs of water ingress in here too, no damage caused though.

The nuts were both loose and showed hardly any signs of factory peening.

https://youtu.be/UkPMXBGfJbQ

I made a wee "un peening" tool and knocked out the very slight indents left by Citroen, then removed the nuts. If anyone uses this as a guide, the lower (pinion) nut is a LH thread.

I next refitted the nuts set to the correct torque and using threadlock and more affective peening.

And cover refitted, sealed the join with a thin coat of Heldite. I used to use Heldite for leaky sump plugs before I learned how to anneal copper washers, but figured it would be good for this too.

Same applied to the gearbox top cover

And the top was bolted back on after filling up 0.9 litres of semi synthetic 75w90 hypoid gear oil.

Next I joined the gearbox and engine back together again. Slotted together very nicely, and was then plonked in position after fitting new 2cv joints and grease all round.

Next up I fitted new discs and attached and torqued up the driveshafts
ImageImage

And checked over both calipers, and fitted with new Valeo brake and hand brake pads.

That's all for now, next job is to continue trying to source a set of these brackets that support the brake pipe coil in the rear axle. I can't find any for love nor money. I've tried both methods.

And then the body tub can go on!! :o

Soonies, dudes.

January 2nd, 2016, 11:06 pm
Firing on two.

Good to see you back :)

January 3rd, 2016, 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next