View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 4:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 34  Next
 My new 2CV, running restoration. In theory.. 
Firing on two.

Post Re: My new 2CV, running restoration. In theory..
2CViking wrote:
If you want to keep your pretty apprentice for a while, secure the 2cv on axle stands :shock:

Sky hooks......

April 29th, 2011, 1:21 pm
Firing on two.

Sean wrote:
pete,
when the body is off for the welding and the re chassis starts thats the time to get a decent earth to the tank sender. the other usualsuspect is there is a lead on the Lhs rear inner wheel arch just by the back of the rear seat ...it often gets knocked

check there is feed should be about 10v as the gauge is a resistor, if you earth the lead the gauge should jump to full.

Yep It's not really concerning me at the moment, easy to sort when it comes to re-assembly, although I'll take your advice when the time comes..

The engine has only done 52 thou, and seems tight, no smoke at all, and the oil is very clean, looks like it was changed just before it was taken off the road. It'll be getting an oil change and filter when it's all re-assembled. I don't see any point in doing a rebuild.

Oh and it was on stands, it has a tow bar, and there were 2 stands either side of the cross piece where it attaches to the chassis, the rear of which is really solid. The tow bar is being binned, in case anyone wants to take it away? seems solid enough.

1989 2CV6 (what's a D*lly?), 1989 MG 1275 powered mini, Renault Trafic.

April 29th, 2011, 2:33 pm
Firing on two.

ken wrote:
Pete,
since this thread is meandering off-topic a shade anyways, do you reckon that your instructions for putting a different kind of thread through the eye of a needle work with this machine?
It's a fair bit older than me, so it's going some... ;)

IMG_3288 by slcchassis, on Flickr

Haha I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice that.. Should be the same principle, but it looks like your tensioner is missing? That's quite an old one, with the squarer profile body.

April 29th, 2011, 2:49 pm
Firing on two.

PROGRESS!!! :o

We have a chassis.

Saw it on eBay, thought it looked good but was outbid by £6 in the last 2 seconds!
Luckily the winning sniper couldn't figure out how to pick it up, so I was told I could have it. It's a very good quality standard type chassis, looks better than Citroen to me, but who knows, can't see any markings on it. It was found in the old 2CV Shitty premises in Halifax by a chap who was clearing it out. Thankfully it's not one of their attempts.

I left Stirling at 3:00pm yesterday afternoon, and got there for 8:00pm. Loaded it up (down?)

Left Halifax at 9:00pm, got home at 4:00 am this morning... :shock: Got 3 hours sleep last night.

Paid £226, the guy also threw in a new set of front door glass and new window catches, and donated a ratchet strap for securing porpoises. Nice chap, had an Acadiane.
It is very very sound, no rust at all, just plenty of Waxoyl. I'll be getting it down to bare metal, repainting it and then drowning it in clear wax, the black stuff always makes things look bodged. Busy with car shows for the next couple of weekends, but should get on it after that, so keep em peeled.

May 16th, 2011, 9:14 pm
Firing on two.

nice one! its good for piece of mind knowing that you have a solid chassis. Good luck with the progress.

May 16th, 2011, 9:19 pm
Firing on two.

Happy days, original Citroën chassis do make them feel nice and solid.

May 16th, 2011, 9:21 pm
Firing on two.

Yep it's a good step forward with the project, everything else is fixable without much difficulty and or expense, chassis was the major bit!

May 16th, 2011, 9:26 pm
Firing on two.

ha thats brilliant on so many levels :lol:
Was there anything else of use they forgot...big pile of rear bump stops perhaps?
They left an original chassis behind, bet they took it off to fit one of their "jewels"

its an original style chassis prob made on original tooling but not necessarily by Citroen, Ill be able to tell when i drop in....and I was at a loose end in Stirlingshire this afternoon!
Will be working in Kilsyth next week so will pop over.

Sean

May 16th, 2011, 9:50 pm
Firing on two.

There were lots of bits left over, a mountain of seats, couple of engines, masses of windows, lights, light bars, etc etc. I think they were yet to be picked up rather than abandoned, but the guy said a lot of it had been dumped, just because there was so much stuff. Shame.

Ah man you should have rang me or something. Definitely get in touch next time you're about the area.

May 16th, 2011, 10:26 pm
Firing on two.

PS strapping porpoises down is frowned upon in polite circumstances especially with ratchet straps.

May 16th, 2011, 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 34  Next