View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 1:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next
 My new 2CV, running restoration. In theory.. 
Firing on two.

Post Re: My new 2CV, running restoration. In theory..
Squeezebox wrote:
Sean wrote:
:roll: what! are you wanting
"readers wives" thread now.

Ha ha...those were the days !! :lol: :lol:

No they weren’t, I'm still scarred :?

April 28th, 2011, 9:51 pm
Firing on two.

Ook. Decent progress tonight, fitted new points and condenser, the old points had virtually no gap, also fitted new plugs and leads. Tested the fuel pump which I suspected to be shagged, it was, but I thought I should check the rubber pipe on top of the tank too. As had been predicted it was perished. I was also surprised to find the fuel tank was full to the brim, methinks there is an electrickery issue with the sender, earth I think. Flushed the tank, fitted new rubber fuel pipe sections, new fuel pump, refitted the tank, and bingo, it started pretty much first time, but revved like crazy.. the throttle return spring had come unhooked. Hooked it up it and it ran beautifully! Gears, clutch, brakes, everything works. First time it's driven in 2 years I think.

The grand moment was even captured on film.. Ignore the weird sound, either Satan was liquidising himself in a corner of the workshop and I never noticed, or my microphone is broken.

http://youtu.be/1ZvgyKdh1t8
http://youtu.be/uQItzTCtpQw

It's too dark to see my face, but trust me, I was grinning like a deranged baboon/buffoon.

One for the perverts..

1989 2CV6 (what's a D*lly?), 1989 MG 1275 powered mini, Renault Trafic.

Last edited by panelbeaterpeter on August 20th, 2012, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 29th, 2011, 12:03 am
Aircooled Idiot

looks like you got a good one there

and the car looks good too!

;) ;) ;) :)

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

April 29th, 2011, 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Pete,
since this thread is meandering off-topic a shade anyways, do you reckon that your instructions for putting a different kind of thread through the eye of a needle work with this machine?
It's a fair bit older than me, so it's going some... ;)

IMG_3288 by slcchassis, on Flickr

April 29th, 2011, 1:10 am
Firing on two.

panelbeaterpeter wrote:

to be perfectly honest...that picture really doesnt help !!...I am trying to offer support and encouragement, but somehow getting into this thread for all the wrong reasons !!! :D

April 29th, 2011, 5:51 am
Firing on two.

Happy days. At least with the mechanicals in half decent order you're halfway there.

April 29th, 2011, 8:19 am
Firing on two.

phwooooarr.

April 29th, 2011, 9:32 am
Firing on two.

pete,
when the body is off for the welding and the re chassis starts thats the time to get a decent earth to the tank sender. the other usualsuspect is there is a lead on the Lhs rear inner wheel arch just by the back of the rear seat ...it often gets knocked

check there is feed should be about 10v as the gauge is a resistor, if you earth the lead the gauge should jump to full.

April 29th, 2011, 9:48 am
Firing on two.

Pete, unlike many 'posed' photos which are often merely nice, that one ^ is genuinely very, very sexy - in the nicest possible way, of course...

**cough** Anyways, when my sender played up, I found the problem was down to where the metal 'dip' pipe passed through the sender's flange - this has to be a sound connection as it's how the actual sensor is earthed to the flange. On mine the actual pipe could be moved. Fairly easy to clean up the surfaces and solder it.

The engine looks (I won't say 'sounds') as tho' it's running well, and no smoke out t'rear either. New oil in here yet?

I'm assuming the engine doesn't need stripping down and is good to go? If so, my personal recommendation - tho' some have disagreed on another thread - is to warm her up, dump the oil, and give it a thorough flush with proper flushing oil (rather than a mere additive.) Repeat the process if the oil is really murky (or there is sludge in the bottoms of the rocker covers - which indicates lack of servicing) and then refill with damn good quality oil - semi-synth if not 'full'.

Good vid - that was a landmark moment!

April 29th, 2011, 10:19 am
viking bastard

panelbeaterpeter wrote:
Ook. Decent progress tonight, fitted new points and condenser, the old points had virtually no gap, also fitted new plugs and leads. Tested the fuel pump which I suspected to be shagged, it was, but I thought I should check the rubber pipe on top of the tank too. As had been predicted it was perished. I was also surprised to find the fuel tank was full to the brim, methinks there is an electrickery issue with the sender, earth I think. Flushed the tank, fitted new rubber fuel pipe sections, new fuel pump, refitted the tank, and bingo, it started pretty much first time, but revved like crazy.. the throttle return spring had come unhooked. Hooked it up it and it ran beautifully! Gears, clutch, brakes, everything works. First time it's driven in 2 years I think.

The grand moment was even captured on film.. Ignore the weird sound, either Satan was liquidising himself in a corner of the workshop and I never noticed, or my microphone is broken.

It's too dark to see my face, but trust me, I was grinning like a deranged baboon/buffoon.

One for the perverts..

If you want to keep your pretty apprentice for a while, secure the 2cv on axle stands :shock:

April 29th, 2011, 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next