View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2024, 8:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 59  Next
 Belgian built 1969 AK350 'Hetty' 
viking bastard

Post Re: Belgian built 1969 AK350 'Hetty'
Jonathan wrote:
So will the spring fail and if so, what would happen? Cheers :)

Game over if the spring break, most likely. Any piece of loose metal can/will jam between gear teeth and break them off.

March 3rd, 2011, 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

The gearbox in my car is a lot like a bird I used to date. Full of bent teeth, never been taken out and whined constantly.

March 3rd, 2011, 8:39 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
The gearbox in my car is a lot like a bird I used to date. Full of bent teeth, never been taken out and whined constantly.

:lol:
Mine was more like the rear seat in that Dyane George and I dismantled: Been under a fair few people, saggy and not particularly supportive...

Back on topic... Ordered a manifold gasket set from Ecas yesterday and got hold of a set of push rod seals, washery things and springs (just in case) from a friend.

Dug out a spare headlight reflector, I'm presuming they're the same... i'll find out Sunday!

Once the engines sorted I'll change the brake and gearbox fluid too. Might have a look at the tye rods early next week if I get a chance.

March 4th, 2011, 10:10 pm
Firing on two.

So after a rather superb morning at Goodwood this morning I decided to tackle this oil leak. I gave her a quick run and yes - oild pouring out of the forward push rod seal on the right hand side.

Massive thanks (again!) to Russ for all his help today, I have at least doubled my mechanical ability :)

The nice thing with this van is everything seems willing to be undone - manifold nuts (and two bolts) all came out great. No problems with the barrel either. Manifold is making some rattly noises, so its probably rusting merrily inside, but I'll worry about that another time.

The cowling was a bit of a pain, but it came of ok.

I kid you not, this is THE most mechanical thing I have ever done!

New seals installed.

I've used later 'spectacle' type seals with the little notches and corresponding metal caps - apparently the rubber is better? Anyway theyre not leaking which is the main thing.

New manifold gaskets.

Put it all back together and she's running beautifully! There'll be a video on facebook shortly.

On a separate note, what shall I do with these? I could lacquer them as they are and preserve the 'aged' look but these panels are rare and I'd like to preserve them as best as possible. Sandblasting may damage them, what about soda blasting? Or should I just go at them with a grinder and some elbow grease?

Measured the diameter of the intake on the carb too - its a whopping 6.5cms!

Turns out the airbox I have is correct for the Vin plate - which should be attached to a 1969AKB with an M28/1. It won't fit on the solex 40 carb of the Ami 6 M4. The Ami 6 had an airbox that won't fit under the bonnet of the AK.... Adrian had used a pancake filter, which might be a good stop gap, but i'd like to, if possible, get an A series box on there.

That's all for today. The coming week should involve - panel beating the dented wing, new front bumper, changing the brake fluid, straightened headlamp bar, working electrics.

I'm also getting a better grip of photo uploads :)

March 7th, 2011, 12:13 am
Firing on two.

It is worth considering taking the panels to SPL and getting them dipped and E coated if you want them rust free.

March 7th, 2011, 2:52 am
Firing on two.

samfieldhouse wrote:
straightened headlamp bar

IIRC, that light bar's a bodged-to-LHD RHD one - and wide, anyway. Might be worth straightening as a stopgap, but looking for a narrow LHD one for long term.

March 7th, 2011, 9:22 am
Profile YIM WWW
toomany2cvs wrote:
samfieldhouse wrote:
straightened headlamp bar

IIRC, that light bar's a bodged-to-LHD RHD one - and wide, anyway. Might be worth straightening as a stopgap, but looking for a narrow LHD one for long term.

Aaaaah. Sam, if you talk nicely to Russ, he may be able to help you out there headlamp bar wise but he may not even realise it!

IIRC, I gave hime an old style headlamp bar from my AZU when I met him down in Kent the other year when I was fetching a manky old horse-box.

Did I Russ, or am I dreaming? :?

March 7th, 2011, 9:27 am
Firing on two.

You did, but it seems to have vanished around the time I got rif of that workshop. Which is annoying, because I'd quite liked to have kept hold of it.

I can help by straightening that one at lunchtime and taking an inch or two off each end.

March 7th, 2011, 9:31 am
Firing on two.

After last weekend, Hetty is now sporting a straightened headlight bar, many thanks to Russ for sorting this for me.

The right hand reflector is a little rusted, and standard 2cv lenses won't fit without a few modifications, fingers crossed itll be ok for the MOT, I'm having no luck trying to track those reflectors down on line anywhere.

Had to bodge the electrics at the front a bit as all the bullet connectors sort of fell off as I removed the bar :roll:

The tape is temporary, I'd quite like to put a new headlight loom on eventually.

I've managed to get all the brake and sidelights reconditioned. The right hand number plate light was badly rusted but a minute with my dremel saw the unit functioning again and earthing restored.

Below is a pic of my improvised 'Citroen brake light testing tool.' :lol:

This is water running down the bulkhead:

The screen wash reservoir has a massive crack in it currently patched with duck tape made super sticky with petrol. The bulkhead in this area is a little crunchy so will need to be watched.

So what's working electrically:
sidelights all round
brake lights
number plate lights
dip/full beam
horn

there really aren't many other electrics fitted! The wiper motor seems to be seized, it emits a clunk and thats about it.

My bug bare is the indicators :evil:

Is it safe to bypass the flasher unit so I can constantly illuminate the indicators to figure out what's wrong, presuming the switch is working?

One by one I short circuited the bulbs by powering them from the sidelights and they lit up fine, so I know the earths are ok. There's power going to the clicker (tested with multimeter).

Booked my dad for Monday to do the brakes with me - the wing's been beaten out beautifully, it may even get painted this week....

On the subject of paint, I was going to use U Pol Acid 8 followed by zinc 182 then colour, however, could I skip the zinc 182 and do colour straight over the primer?

I was going to get this company to mix some cellulose in the right colour for me for the back end. http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/ prices don't seem unreasonable, unless anyone has other suggestions...?

hehe and picked up one of these for the back. eBay bargain! at £12 (Ikea price £54) just needs cutting to fit!

It'll sit on slats that will be raised off the van bed to allow storage underneath. Caitlin's gone all interior designy on me and is borrowing my credit card for trips to the haberdashery :lol: the words curtains, checks and vinyl were thrown around... we have a plan... and it involves finding a hyundai coupe in the scrappy... :twisted:

March 10th, 2011, 10:39 pm
Firing on two.

You're going great guns on Hetty Sam! It really is inspiring. Must dig J out from the lock up for a run this weekend!

March 10th, 2011, 11:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 59  Next