View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 Belgian built 1969 AK350 'Hetty' 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Belgian built 1969 AK350 'Hetty'
MoT Pass :D - hatrick, three years in a row :D

I got her running after her random burping/backfiring fail. Upon taking advice I started with the tappets and worked my way forward. The inlet on the nearside had zero clearance so I adjusted it up to 0.25

As you can see the nuts are approaching the end of the thread... so something isn't quote right, or maybe that's normal for an M4...when Dave get's his sorted we can compare!

I also did the timing, for the first time, completely on my own. I set it statically, then used a strobe (thank you Geoff) to set it dynamically.

James mentioned that he'd never seen the point of strobe setting. I don't know the technical side of it, but as far as I can ascertain, using a timing light has a 'bigger tolerance' than the strobe. With the timing light, the points box was a few degrees down to the right, but using the Strobe, I tapped it back until it was almost vertically. The marks on the fly wheel lined up with the marks on the bell housing, then as I revved up they separated (which I believe is correct?).

The strobe enabled me to get the marks bang on (the static timing had the flywheel mark about an inch 'before' the bell housing mark.

Proof of the pudding as it were - she sat happily at 58 and drove beautifully (as ever) so I'm pleased :)

She's all ready for Reg day now :D

June 7th, 2013, 11:58 am
Aircooled Idiot

Dont recall sayig whats the point.. Just that i dont bother..!!

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

June 7th, 2013, 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Re your tappets something has to be worn,cam followers or the cam ,or the push rods are to short,maybe someone has added decompression spacers under the cylinders. The last time I saw anything like this was on my Mark 2a Norton Commando,where I had one of cams they forgot to 'tuffride'( harden) so they wore almost round.:-)

Ace looking van :mrgreen:

June 7th, 2013, 2:19 pm
Firing on two.

samfieldhouse wrote:
MoT Pass :D - hatrick, three years in a row :D

Result!

Quote:
I got her running after her random burping/backfiring fail. Upon taking advice I started with the tappets and worked my way forward. The inlet on the nearside had zero clearance so I adjusted it up to 0.25

As you can see the nuts are approaching the end of the thread... so something isn't quote right, or maybe that's normal for an M4...when Dave get's his sorted we can compare!

So are they closing up quickly? If so, something's wearing rapidly.
If they're staying roughly static, then there's not much to worry about.

June 7th, 2013, 3:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

banjo wrote:

I second that - best van on here------ What are those extra little lights (by the main lights)?

June 7th, 2013, 3:40 pm
Firing on two.

ChrisW wrote:
banjo wrote:

I second that - best van on here------ What are those extra little lights (by the main lights)?

Thanks! They're little halogen spots, the yellow lights are cute but with a vehicle coming towards you it's impossible to see the kerb. They dip to the left so I basically use them as dip beam. Currently cable tied in position, I'll do something more permanent with them eventually.... I just wanted something subtle but effective.

toomany2cvs wrote:
So are they closing up quickly? If so, something's wearing rapidly.
If they're staying roughly static, then there's not much to worry about.

They were all ok and haven't been adjusted in 2 years apart from the inlet on the left which seamed to have no clearance at all. However, the misfiring issue started very rapidly, no gradual fail.

In the repair process I also replaced the condenser... so it may not have been the valve at all... we shall see I guess...

June 7th, 2013, 3:48 pm
Firing on two.

Do they work OK? Where did you get them?

June 7th, 2013, 3:52 pm
Firing on two.

ChrisW wrote:

eBay - although I think halfords do them too. I can send you the PDF that I put in the mag about them.
And yes! They're superb, really chuffed with them :)

June 7th, 2013, 4:28 pm
Firing on two.

samfieldhouse wrote:

This does not look right to me. Mine does not have this. Maybe you push rods are shorter (435?) or bend. I can't imagian that wear off the cam followers would cause this.

June 7th, 2013, 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

samfieldhouse wrote:
ChrisW wrote:

eBay - although I think halfords do them too. I can send you the PDF that I put in the mag about them.
And yes! They're superb, really chuffed with them :)

Yes Please... :)

June 7th, 2013, 5:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next