View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 6:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next
 1979 Jaune Mimosa 2CV 
Aircooled Idiot

Post Re: 1979 Jaune Mimosa 2CV
when we spray boat repairs at work we use those spray guns you get for model things in model shops
i would imagine they would be perfect for touching things up!

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

May 15th, 2011, 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Covers came off this today. replaced the fuel filler neck thanks to Harry who gave me one via Sam.

It's a bloody clean little car under all that dust, the front wings are a bit scabby but the rest of it is pretty sound, and it does buff up nice too thanks to its 2K paintjob.

James Kelly sent me a bumper via Sam too, which was really nice of them both.

Can't wait to get it slammed and polished again.

Those wheels are going into the massive pile of wheels we've already got.

FLT 4 PRKIN WIN.

Going into work tomorrow to get it dropped and do a few other jobs here and there. drop the tank and change that bastard pipe, sort the exhaust out and add some camber to the back. MOT next saturday, I hope...

August 5th, 2011, 11:27 pm
Firing on two.

What a bollocks kind of a day. Got it up on stands at work with the vision of finishing off the ride height and getting a pleasant sort of stance to it, and all I achieved was to change one can and arm. I attempted to get a bit of negative camber on the back but I can only get about 5 degrees before the tyre hits the bumpstop and the outer wing, and that little is hardly noticable, although it'll probably be just enough to stop the back end kicking out when I lift off in roundabouts, which will be a double kick in the balls.

At the moment one side is sort of done although it needs setting up when the other side's finished. I haven't dropped the tank, not have I put a decent battery on it, or sealed the exhaust up or in fact done anything that it needs for an MOT, which is me all over really, a half cocked effort to make it look cool without really concentrating on anything important. Ah well, have some photo's anyway.

One can off...

Checking for fit with rear cambered arm...

Tighter than a nuns chuff...

You can kind of see the look I want here...

Sadly due to stupid and ill-thought-through chassis design I can't get it this low.

Before...

After... (although it will be about an inch lower)

Rear before...

Rear after. This will be an inch higher.

Not the attitude I was after...

Obviously there's no point me adjusting it about one side without the other side the same, but at the moment it's a bit too level, I'd like a slightly nose down appearance which will enable me to make the whole thing look lower whilst not being any closer to the ground. It would also show off any rear camber, which sadly isn't half what I wanted in this instance, without trimming the wing away and removing the bumpstop it just aint gonna happen.

I need to order some bits now, like a new trackrod adjuster, various splitpins, bolts and nuts that I've broken, and all the sundry shite I always forget to buy before I get involved. I also need a litre of Gris Rose paint and primer and thinner and all that jazz for the wheels and a few other parts, and this would also seem like an ideal time to actually paint both sill yellow as I've been meaning to do since 2006 when I bought the car...

More to come.

August 6th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Firing on two.

did you bend the rear arms with the brace in place on the rear arms?

They did that on the racer last year before i got there "........with hilarious concequences" as they used to say in sitcoms

the hilarious subsequence was the driver pitting complaining that the NS rear was breaking away, was there oil on the tyre?......the wing was holding the wheel in place as the arm had split from the welded brace all the way round and was hanging on by 40mm of metal at the top, welded up on jacks with the driver still on board.

August 7th, 2011, 8:53 pm
Firing on two.

I didn't bend them, I cut them and opened them up then welded them again. The brace thing was just a bit of bar welded to the backplate to stop the brakes squeaking.

August 7th, 2011, 9:37 pm
Firing on two.

August 11th, 2011, 6:57 pm
Firing on two.

YES

August 11th, 2011, 8:35 pm
Firing on two.

So I didn't take it for an MOT on Tuesday as I'd hoped to because the insurers were being twerps about things, I sorted that and it's rebooked for Saturday morning. Will it pass? No, I wouldn't have thought so. Partly because I've yet to get a car through an MOT without either the tester having some sort of cash related vision defect or having to take it away and fix tons of stuff that only a really bitter and twisted MOT tester would give a toss about.

Today my ECAS package turned up with the new trackrod adjuster and wiper blades and stuff so I slapped that on and got it sitting right.

I dropped the tank last week and replaced that wanky bit of pipe off the sender unit which falls apart and renders a 2cv useless without notice. I remember filling it up at some point in early 2008 and noticing it was leaking all over the forecourt, it's only taken me three years to get round to fixing it, a lot of this is because I am a lazy fucker.

Having dropped the tank the fuel gauge now doesn't work, or at least, it's not registering anything much, I assume this is because I knocked a wire off putting it back in and not because it's empty, because it seemed to have enough juice in it to make removing it a cock of a job. Having run my red car for a year with no fuel gauge and having not run out once, I'm not too bothered about this and can't be arsed taking the tank out again.

Can you notice the negative camber in that photo? no? Me neither. that's because it's approximately bugger all. Pretty cross about this actually, but I don't want to go and put standard narrow wheels back on it just to make space for camber, because standard narrow wheels are for big gay bears like you and not super-fly whizzkids like me. :lol:

It's sitting about right now, so that's nice. I will drop it a couple of inches all round when it's MOT'd but right now it's still sitting on its bump stops which may/may not upset the MOT man, but not as much as it not going on his ramp will.

I even washed it, and tomorrow, after work, I'm going to polish it too. because I'm completely skint I haven't bought any paint to do the sills or wheels but one day I'll sort that out. Or I'll ignore the problem. Yeah, that's what I'll do.

The red car has now donated its front arms, spring cans battery and various other bits, and is now serving as a security fence, beached on a pallet in front of Sams mehari, hopefully unless the gypos HIAB it out of the way it should be fairly safe. What to do with that? Dunno. I'd like to channel a van on its chassis and dispense with the red spesh shell. But I haven't got a van so I won't.

But anyway, I've got a 9:30am appointment on Saturday and I've cautiously (and cleverly) booked it in for a 12noon MOT too, that way I can cane it back to work, rob my red car of whatever it fails on and cane it back for a retest. Slick eh?

August 19th, 2011, 12:49 am
Firing on two.

Location: Alone in my polytunnel with my pitiful competition onions
Nice. Looking forward to seeing it at Snet.

August 19th, 2011, 6:21 am
Firing on two.

Thanks, although I'm not sure it will be there as I doubt it will be mot'd and taxed by then. I will probably be there in my birds 106. I am looking forward to seeing your ami there though.

August 19th, 2011, 7:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next