View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 4:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next
 1979 Jaune Mimosa 2CV 
Firing on two.

Post Re: 1979 Jaune Mimosa 2CV
Where u can mount the pipe after you form it. I'll show u.

November 25th, 2014, 12:47 am
Firing on two.

More disappointment!

This evening I got the four swing arms home after wire wheeling them back to bare metal and painting them.

I've been trying to find a set of arm bearings that are worth using. Whilst I'm really keen to replace as much as I can so the car drives as well as possible, at £35 each and needing eight per car I'm also keen not to blow almost £300 on bearings. Whilst I've managed to find five races that are as good as new I can only find a couple of the outer ring parts that are any good. This is rather sad as I can only fit one swing arm, This is a bit pointless, obviously.

All the rings are heavily worn. Annoyingly I don't have the rings that mated with the good bearing races.

So, it looks like I'm into this for a good couple of hundred quid. :(

I *hate* spending money on cars. I hate it.

To top off this tale of woe and misery, I damaged the paint on one of the arms on my way home.

FFS. :evil:

November 27th, 2014, 11:31 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Put them in as they are for now, they will work (because they have worked before)..
Then ask all your family for a bearing these Xmas next birthday aso... Would take about 2 years then (don't know the number of your family and friends).....

Putting in a bearing would take you about 2 or 3 hours.... so doable...

Russ

November 28th, 2014, 12:22 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I'll buy the bearings, as and when I can afford it. I'm going to bring the engine and gearbox home tomorrow and start stripping them down on the bench. I'm reasonably confident that there's not a lot of expense involved in freshening them up so that'll be the next job until I have got the bearings.

Good news!

I recently discovered a new fastenings supplier locally and they stock M7 AND M9. Which is handy. They're also on some sort of constant fiddle and everything is a bargain if you don't want a receipt...

Quick question; I have got the tank saddle/seat belt mount ready to go on, is it acceptable to tap the threaded plates out to M10 and use some nice 12.9 cap screws I picked up at the previously mentioned fastener company?

Oh, and while I'm asking, for the fuel tank mounting bolts I have a selection of oval washers, I have twice as many washers as I do places to bolt them, are they also spacers? what's the sequence for fitting them?

November 28th, 2014, 10:34 pm
Firing on two.

Yes, they are spacers, but I can't remember the sequence. I bet Ken does ;)

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

November 28th, 2014, 11:09 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Russell,
those spreader plates (aka lumps of steel strap) were only necessary on an original chassis in order to provide adequate pullout strength; if your aftermarket chassis has a 3mm thick web through which the bolts pass, 10mm bolts, nuts and washers should be OK.

Re fuel tank mountings, reading 'upwards' on the rearmost pair; M7 bolts/set screw > plain M7 washer > oval steel washer > oval plastic washer > petrol tank mounting flange > small square plastic washer used as spacer.

At the front end of the tank/into the rear axle: M7 set screw > plain M7 washer > oval steel washer > oval plastic washer > tank flange > round plastic spacer/bobbin about 10mm deep.

Guess a photograph would have been easier, but too cold and damp to be out in the shed right now. ;)

Russell wrote:
I'll buy the bearings, as and when I can afford it. I'm going to bring the engine and gearbox home tomorrow and start stripping them down on the bench. I'm reasonably confident that there's not a lot of expense involved in freshening them up so that'll be the next job until I have got the bearings.

Good news!

I recently discovered a new fastenings supplier locally and they stock M7 AND M9. Which is handy. They're also on some sort of constant fiddle and everything is a bargain if you don't want a receipt...

Quick question; I have got the tank saddle/seat belt mount ready to go on, is it acceptable to tap the threaded plates out to M10 and use some nice 12.9 cap screws I picked up at the previously mentioned fastener company?

Oh, and while I'm asking, for the fuel tank mounting bolts I have a selection of oval washers, I have twice as many washers as I do places to bolt them, are they also spacers? what's the sequence for fitting them?

November 28th, 2014, 11:18 pm
Firing on two.

i left the tanksaddle out as i don't have rear seatbelt anyway. I cut the space between the two holes open so i can get at the fuelline and the gauge wire.

November 28th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Firing on two.

AZL57 wrote:
i left the tanksaddle out as i don't have rear seatbelt anyway. I cut the space between the two holes open so i can get at the fuelline and the gauge wire.

This would be ideal but I want rear seat belts. I guess I could have made something that allowed access to the sender but I hope not to need to get to it very often.

Thanks Ken, I just tore the whole thing to bits without paying much attention. Dumb move!

November 29th, 2014, 12:07 am
Firing on two.

All the fuel tank questions were a bit pointless because I forgot to bring it home. Arse.

What I did remember to bring home was the engine. It's been sitting out in the weather for a while and it's only a matter of time before its fubar.

I've only half made the engine stand so it's currently on the WorkMate, which isn't quite strong enough to instill confidence. It's the best I can do until I've made a proper engine stand/trolley thing for it. As mentioned, I don't have a pot to piss in so with any luck the engine will just want a bit of tarting up. What it certainly needs is new manifold studs because they were not coming off. I attatcked them with a grinder and a chisel and now that's that.

I've left it tonight draining the oil as best it can and I can start taking stuff off it tomorrow and assessing what to do with it.

November 29th, 2014, 8:04 pm
Firing on two.

You lot take the piss out of us southerners for being upside down, at least we don't drain oil sideways!

November 30th, 2014, 3:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next