View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2024, 7:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My Old Blue 250 AZU 
Firing on two.

Post My Old Blue 250 AZU
Sorry for the ripoff of Old Nail's thread title. I can resist anything bar temptation :oops: Having said that this will be different to his project. I won't be going for shiny. I'm getting into that French state of mind....

Since no bugger seems to want to buy my 250 AZU self assembly kit I thought I might as well cease being lazy and assemble the thing myself. I’m confident it is basically fine.

I’ve had a good trawl through the workshop to find all the bits I confidently told people I had for it.

The list so far stands as follows.

1) Van ready fitted with new floors sills and back end
2) Dating letter to get it registered
3) Pair of rear wings (new)
4) Pair of side rails (new)
5) Some legalish wheels and tyres
6) Used rusty front bumper
7) Ecas big V repro alloy grille
8) Ecas grille muff
9) Fuel tank
10) Lights front and rear
11) Big pot of paint
12) Small pot of matched matted blue paint
13) Spare 425 engine
14) Rear doors
15) OK ish spare wheel panel
16) OK ish fuel tank panel
17) Pair of old style wiper blades
18) Used door glass to replace the broken one
19) Master cylinder reservoir (thanks to Spanners)
20) Rear door hinges + some spare for the spare wheel well lid (thanks to Spanners)
21) Door handles
22) Rear reflectors in just about useable condition.
23) New brake hoses
24) New felt heater ducts
25) New inertia reel seat belts

I don’t want to spend ages on this, I’m just going to make it work safely and reliably and use it for a while. It is actually extremely solid. The chassis is excellent, the floor, sills cross members and back panel are all new.

Since I want it safe and useable I thought it would probably need brakes. Since the brakes are MIA a phone call to Roy’s parts emporium produced a new master cylinder and wheel cylinders. I also splashed out on some brake pipe seals and a fuel tank collar.

Safe and reliable I guess includes starting and having lights. There was nothing for it but to buy a nice new black case 6 volt battery; ouch.....

A quick look at what is left seems to indicate it needs a vent flap, I should have one. It needs front wings. I think I may have one used genuine early front wing but in the name of expediency I think I’ll bung on some modern ones and use the indicator holes. I’m sure a trawl through the useful bits hidden away will turn up a pair.

I need to drag it indoors. The first thing I’m going to do is fix the brakes and see it it’ll talk to me. I don’t think it needs much welding. A couple of patches on the bulkhead, a couple on the load compartment, but basically it is structurally sound.

I lack seats. I think I may simply cut the runners off a pair of modern seats and convert them to peg type. I’ve been wondering what to do with the German adjustable backrest seat I have. I think it has a new home. Bleu Ecossais fabric will look mighty fine against a surface rusty blue van.

All I need to do now is find my beret, a packet or two of Gauloises and the POP rivet gun. MOT test here we come!

October 26th, 2010, 4:29 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: My Old Blue 250 AZU
twofifty AZU wrote:
I’m confident it is basically fine.

wise words to live by :lol:

October 26th, 2010, 4:51 pm
Firing on two.

Willami wrote:
twofifty AZU wrote:
I’m confident it is basically fine.

wise words to live by :lol:

Every A series I've been foolish enough to work on has proven to be as rotten as the proverbial pear seemed such a negative way to start....... :lol:

October 26th, 2010, 5:31 pm
super slot

It certainly is a lovely looking van. I shall be following this thread with great interest! :)

October 26th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I replaced the floors, sills, back end, Lower front panels and one body support cross member many years ago but it became one vehicle in the garden too many so it had to go :cry:

October 26th, 2010, 8:15 pm
Firing on two.

I love this van! Sadly it's beyond me at this point in my life (not enough spare time, not enough skill/experience, no welding equipment, no space to repair)... but I'm really looking forward to seeing the project progress. Have fun with it, 250AZU.

October 26th, 2010, 8:42 pm
Firing on two.

notsmartcar wrote:
I replaced the floors, sills, back end, Lower front panels and one body support cross member many years ago but it became one vehicle in the garden too many so it had to go :cry:

Did you ever have it running or driving?

It'd be interesting to find out any history on it. I acquired it with a load of stuff I needed for one of my other vans. I took pity on it and decided not to break it as it is too good. Do you know when it was imported?

October 26th, 2010, 8:47 pm
Firing on two.

You will also note I put the rear bumpers in up side down .. dooh but you will find the rear doors will still fit .. I never got around to starting engine as I go 602

October 27th, 2010, 12:22 am
Firing on two.

The rear bumpers look fine to me, they're meant to tilt up a bit and be positioned towards the top.

What do you think is wrong with them?

My old grey van is essentially the same.

October 27th, 2010, 12:30 am
Firing on two.

Look forward to seeing this come together. P.S. drop the '250' from the title it spoils the flow. :lol:

October 27th, 2010, 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next