View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 7:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 My new car ... 
Firing on two.

Post Re: My new car ...
Quote:
how does the bottom water blade get to spin around with an engine sat on it.....

The engine just sat in the slide out basket thingy so there was no problem with the bottom blade spinning. Unfortunately the top blade had to be removed to get the engine in.

I ran it through a full cycle a couple of times and the results weren't particularly good so the dishwasher is now off to the tip.

Twas worth a try.
:roll:

November 23rd, 2010, 1:04 pm
Firing on two.

Location: Alone in my polytunnel with my pitiful competition onions
Well, the Ami's been on hold for a while - working on cars in the snow is no fun - but with the recent re emergence of the sun (whatever that is) I've been out and modified the clutch cable so I now have a working clutch. Sadly, I bought a GSA cable in the hope that it'd save me having to bodge a 2CV one, but it didn't. So if anyone out there needs a clutch cable for a LHD GSA, it's yours for £25, which is half price or thereabouts.
I've also rigged up the choke and accelerator fittings today and reconnected the battery, which resulted in a brief but exciting fireworks display as it became apparent that I'd mistakenly connected the earth lead from the regulator straight to the positive terminal on the starter motor. Oops. Next job is the heat exchangers, then we should be about ready to start the thing up ...

January 9th, 2011, 2:59 pm
Firing on two.

I've had it running now, for the first time since I got it home in September (?). Moved it experimentally back and forth a few inches and the clutch cable adaption (that is to say "bodge") seems to have worked. I've even managed to find a bit of tube which will bend tightly enough to fit the (M28) heat exchangers to the (M4) bulkhead pipework.
All I need to do now is adjust up the handbrake properly, finish off the front light wiring and cure a blow on the right hand heat exchanger to crossbox joint. All simple stuff. Then I can get it insured and get it on the road again.

January 9th, 2011, 10:39 pm
Firing on two.

Hi Rhythm

Mine’s got an M28 in it too – so I know exactly the bother you’d had with the ducting….I ended up using the woolly stuff, which isn’t bad but I’d love to know what you’ve found – can you let me know. I tried the foamed cardboard tube but it doesn’t bend the way we need it to…i.e completely back on itself – getting it round the master cylinder and rear brakes pipes is tricky too, so it’s just on the screen on the driver’s side too

I did consider making some out of chicken wire and plaster of Paris

Cheers
Will
Rhythm Thief wrote:
I've had it running now, for the first time since I got it home in September (?). Moved it experimentally back and forth a few inches and the clutch cable adaption (that is to say "bodge") seems to have worked. I've even managed to find a bit of tube which will bend tightly enough to fit the (M28) heat exchangers to the (M4) bulkhead pipework.
All I need to do now is adjust up the handbrake properly, finish off the front light wiring and cure a blow on the right hand heat exchanger to crossbox joint. All simple stuff. Then I can get it insured and get it on the road again.

January 10th, 2011, 1:59 pm
Firing on two.

I, er, "found" some rubberised tube reinforced with plastic piping. It was attached to a big hoover type thing at one of the car dealerships I used to deliver to in the dead of night, and I thought "well, they'll never miss a foot or so of that". I wish now I'd taken a bit more. :)

January 10th, 2011, 2:42 pm
Firing on two.

Willami wrote:
Hi Rhythm

Mine’s got an M28 in it too – so I know exactly the bother you’d had with the ducting….I ended up using the woolly stuff, which isn’t bad but I’d love to know what you’ve found – can you let me know.

http://www.bighealey.co.uk/content/wire ... cting-pipe

This looks very much like the stuff I used. Not sure of the diameter, but I'd guess the 3" stuff would do it.

January 11th, 2011, 7:55 pm
Firing on two.

I'm really pleased to hear that you're on the vinegar strokes now, and that you didn't do what I did and give up on the old thing. Although half of me thinks it would have been a better idea to keep it and put the BMW in that instead. I'm looking forward to seeing it at camps and stuff. World meeting?

January 11th, 2011, 8:53 pm
Firing on two.

I don't know about the World Meeting, but I'll certainly be at the Easter camp at Holbeach Hurn again. And as many other camps as I can get domestic management clearance for, including Spa (if it's on this year).
I've pretty much finished it now, by the way, just got to change the gearbox oil and get it insured when my Daihatsu insurance runs out next month.

January 11th, 2011, 10:00 pm
Firing on two.

Rhythm Thief wrote:
I don't know about the World Meeting, but I'll certainly be at the Easter camp at Holbeach Hurn again. And as many other camps as I can get domestic management clearance for, including Spa (if it's on this year).
I've pretty much finished it now, by the way, just got to change the gearbox oil and get it insured when my Daihatsu insurance runs out next month.

It is, see racing forum :)

January 11th, 2011, 10:03 pm
Firing on two.

Hooray ... just insured it. £118 fully comp including UK and European breakdown cover. 8-) It's covered from Friday, so that gives me two days to get the oils changed, adjust the handbrake properly and finish buggering about with the heater.

January 26th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next