View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 My new car ... 
Firing on two.

Post Re: My new car ...
Great work RT!!
Ami's are so nice to drive!!

March 12th, 2011, 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
super slot

Nice one, RT! :)

March 13th, 2011, 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

The suspension scraping thing is probably the tyre rubbing the inner wing, I don't know why it does it to be honest, but you'll see where the paint's worn off.

If you raise it up at all, I'd happily buy or p/x those front arms off you for standard ones. I think I have the originals. Somewhere...

March 13th, 2011, 11:47 pm
Firing on two.

Oh, and I'm very relieved that you've got it going! I really hope you enjoy it. I had a lot of fun with it. I hope you have the chance to do so too.

March 13th, 2011, 11:48 pm
Firing on two.

Nice one RT - the hard work paid off. If I can give any advice on the Ami-quirks, I will

:)

March 15th, 2011, 11:36 am
Firing on two.

Location: Alone in my polytunnel with my pitiful competition onions
Well, there's not much to "report". I've been using it and gradually ironing out minor teething troubles and I must say it's great to be back behind the wheel of an A series again, especially one that's a bit different.
I won't be raising the suspension, wheelarch interaction aside, it's not really a problem and I should be able to sort that out with an angle grinder, an old washing machine case and either a MIG welder or a rivet gun. It is a bit odd why it's only the one side that does it, though. Even lowered, it's still a pretty practical vehicle: I drove to a gig in it on Friday with amps, speakers and guitars in the back with no problems, and yesterday I brought two big bags of manure back from a farm.
What else ... I've fixed the rear door lock by judicious application of a needle file to the tumblers, and I've wired in an extra pair of sidelights on the inner headlamps, so they glow when the outer lights are on. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it does look really good at night now. :) Oh, and I've managed to get the heater working. Jobs on the list now are to take the offside front wing off and sort out some minor rot on the bulkhead (at least it looks minor) and ... well, that's about all I can think of. For the moment, I'm just enjoying driving it. 8-)

March 21st, 2011, 1:41 pm
Firing on two.

Nice one, good to hear.

March 21st, 2011, 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Blimey, it's been a while since I updated this. It got a nice new MOT today so I thought it was about time to let you know what I've done.
Kingpins, mostly. You may have seen on the other thread how I had to shrink the axle arm hole on the nearside with a welder, which worked far better than I thought it would, what with my welding being a bit cack handed. I had to adjust up the rear brakes, which the tester very kindly passed on condition that I sorted them as soon as possible. Top tip for taking your car for an MOT: always look like a mechanic. I turned up in oily jeans with grease all under my fingernails, and they seemed to be more willing to cut me a bit of slack because of it.
I've also removed the rear bed frame which Russ had built and hidden that monster amplifier in the spare wheel well, so now there's plenty of room for camping kit, musical instruments, PA stuff and so on. Which is good, because this weekend we're playing at Redefest in Northumberland, so I'm planning on driving up in the Ami on Thursday. It's not exactly a relaxed motorway cruiser, but the alternative - my ancient leaf sprung Daihatsu Fourtrak - makes the Ami look like a 7 series BMW, so there we are.
Next jobs are to sort out the MOT advisories, which are corroded rear brake pipes both sides and slightly chaffed rear brake flexis on the left. Then once that's done I suppose I'm going to have to think about Waxoyling and painting the chassis, which is a job I'm struggling to work up any enthusiasm for ...

August 1st, 2011, 5:08 pm
Firing on two.

The Ami has finally gone! :cry: The chap came to pick it up today, and that was that. It's not like me to get attached to a car, but I was very sad to see this going off down the road for the last time. Especially as I've now got to get used to a vintage tractor - like vehicle with prehistoric suspension and a fuel consumption more usefully measured in gallons per inch. Ah well, I imagine I'll be replacing it with a Dyane sooner or later ...

November 24th, 2011, 6:36 pm
super slot

Rhythm Thief wrote:
I imagine I'll be replacing it with a Dyane sooner or later ...

:)

November 24th, 2011, 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next