View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 1:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 1981 Acadiane 
Firing on two.

Post Re: 1981 Acadiane
:D

Yeah thats what my reaction would have been! I promise its not one of those stories like

"erm my friend has this rash..."
"oh really, so this friend..."

I think she is a bit alarmed by the sheer volume as she tries to calmly approach her place of work. I want her to use it more and be comfortable with it as I need to borrow her Renault for long journeys down south.

So i take it you just get a standard 2cv silencer and fit as normal?

August 25th, 2010, 3:21 pm
super slot

I must say i'm surprised that the rack is knackered.

95% of the work i did on the van was done in a council lock-up with no electric & with no way of wheeling the van out as the 'driveway' is so steep. So the first time i drove any real distance was to my mates bodyshop - all of about a mile & a half. I thought that the steering seemed very vague, infact i may have mentioned it in this thread...

When i stripped all the front end panels off, removed the wheels, etc (Graham hates working on Dyanes!) it became clear that the wheel bearing was shot to bits. The 32mm hub nut was *just* hanging on. The kingpins were in a terrible state - he reckoned they were the originals! With all new bits in place the steering was transformed & there was next to no play detectable.

August 25th, 2010, 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Alkie wrote:
:D

Yeah thats what my reaction would have been! I promise its not one of those stories like

"erm my friend has this rash..."
"oh really, so this friend..."

I think she is a bit alarmed by the sheer volume as she tries to calmly approach her place of work. I want her to use it more and be comfortable with it as I need to borrow her Renault for long journeys down south.

Sod that. She might actually like it too much, then you'll be stuck with the Renault.

Quote:
So i take it you just get a standard 2cv silencer and fit as normal?

Yeh, the exhaust system is just normal 2cv all the way through - the tailpipe is different, but most (sane) people put the cheap, long-lasting, easy-to-fit shorter van ones to 2cvs anyway.

August 25th, 2010, 3:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
super slot

A normal 2cv silencer will fit fine.

The front pipe & the tail pipe were both new, so you should easily be able to remove the offending straight pipe & replace with a torpedo.

I love the sound of the straight pipe - especially when 'giving it the beans' in 2nd & changing up to 3rd. Can't help but blip the throttle when changing down! :oops: :roll: :lol:

August 25th, 2010, 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Neil wrote:
I love the sound of the straight pipe - especially when 'giving it the beans' in 2nd & changing up to 3rd. Can't help but blip the throttle when changing down! :oops: :roll: :lol:

Me too, what a noise, I get in the house with a massive grin on my face every time. We call it the Edith Paf the Bird Scarer as all wildlife pegs it, even horses and cows in the nearby fields, when you come blatting down the road. Im going to try and convince her not to fit it. Unless she buys herself one for Christmas or summat.

August 25th, 2010, 3:48 pm
super slot

Neil wrote:

I'm trying to find Geoff Archer's flickr photostream (anyone any idea?) - he has some good pictures on there on a very rotten Acadiane - it would give you a good idea of where to concentrate your rust proofing efforts...

Found it...

rest are here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14787007@N03/page5/

August 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Thats really helpful Neil thankyou - gonna spend all monday filling it with wax, not sure how to protect the bulkhead area near the fuse box though.

The problem with the throttle that occured yesterday just got weirder and weirder and I've posted a topic in the tech section, neither me or the AA man could work it out!

August 26th, 2010, 7:12 pm
super slot

I was wondering how you were getting on with getting it going again!

The 'trough' bit is a real rust trap - it soon fills up with leaves, silt & the resulting mulch which stays damp eats its way out. The trough was 100% rust free when i had it - i cleaned a load of very fine dust from it & was relieved to find it mint. I would lob a load of wax in there - if you remove the bonnet - 2 pins - 1 either side, you will be able to see what you're looking at a bit better. The bonnet pins aren't seized - they pull out as if they were put in yesterday! ;)

August 26th, 2010, 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Sorted, thanks for the advice. Gonna enjoy washing rust proofing gunk out of my armpits for the next week. Its mad when you get into a new car, all the other knowledge that you acquired about other makes you owned just goes out of the window, its like beginning again.

August 26th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Firing on two.

Neil, sorry to ask loads of questions, I've spent the weekend filling the box sections with waxoil, chassis and holes in the body, doing the trough, inside any nooks and crannies and in the doors. I've ordered 2 lots of 750ml Bilt Hamber spray wax cans to add elsewhere, trying to get up in the roof seams and along window rubbers etc. At the end of the week I'm going to jet wash the underside to get the cow shit off, let it dry and coat it twice with waxoil after squirting the Bilt Hamber stuff into the seams.

When you said previously to "lash everything in wax" to what extent do you mean? I've heard of people covering the entire car in clear wax polish, to provide a barrier over the paintwork. Does anyone do this?

cheers, Joe

August 31st, 2010, 5:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next