View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Joyce, The 1981 Rouge Castille Dyane 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Joyce, The 1981 Rouge Castille Dyane
Fantastic work :)

April 17th, 2013, 9:32 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Dyane chassis, not one of those CV2 thingummies... ;)

Scrapping a Dyane to use its chassis under a 2CV used to be a regular occurrence in the bad old days.

Russell wrote:
Quite surprised it was ok inside, I've cut a few open and they're almost always worse inside than they look externally.

Last edited by ken on April 18th, 2013, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 17th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Firing on two.

ken wrote:

Scrapping a Dyane to use its chassis under a 2CV used to be a regular occurence in the bad old days.

That's how my Dad kept his '52 on the road :oops:

April 18th, 2013, 10:43 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

A real '52, not an ersatz one? :roll:
He'd have needed to weld on some outriggers if it was the former, then juggle around with the front end a bit, as those early cars had the front crossmember set further back, also the engine mounting bolts were closer together... ;)

ken

samfieldhouse wrote:
ken wrote:

Scrapping a Dyane to use its chassis under a 2CV used to be a regular occurence in the bad old days.

That's how my Dad kept his '52 on the road :oops:

April 18th, 2013, 11:03 pm
Firing on two.

Me and my dad collected the Dyane from Joey's place in Staffordshire yesterday, and I'm so pleased with the welding.

I only have one picture, but once me and my dad start putting her back together (hopefully this weekend) I will take more, I know how much you lot like pictures...

Look, a floor with no holes!

My dad has been mumbling about getting her to Registers, which is eighteen days away, but bearing in mind we managed to get her started a couple of years ago, it is doable. Probably. If not, maybe next year?

June 10th, 2013, 9:45 am
Aircooled Idiot

I was gunna say. Which reg day ;)

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

June 10th, 2013, 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Easy! I had the Mehari out of hibernation, running and MoT'd in a week - Hetty took 3 months....

June 10th, 2013, 3:50 pm
Firing on two.

So while I've been slaving the day away at work, my dad's been fettling with the Dyane at the garage. I joined him after I'd finished to 'supervise' and take pictures. Of course

So, what's been happening today?

He's been fiddling about with the windscreen surround, trying to see what state the air vents are in, as well as prepping for the trough repairs, after Joey welded the very homemade repair patch in.

So, to do this and to get to the vents he pulled the dash off, which is probably for the best because it is a bit disgusting and will benefit from a good cleaning.

The vents are actually in pretty good condition, apart from the fact the rubber's a bit grim, but I think we have some repair bits bought in preparation buried somewhere in the garage, which is nice.

Unfortunately after taking all this off, my dad decided to get busy with his wire brush and has found the start of some rust in the windscreen surround, which is a little irritating, especially seeing as we thought we'd got all the holes.

On the plus side, it's only the very early stages of corrosion, and the rust hasn't gone through to the inside so hopefully it's been caught early enough. Dad reckons he can bodge it, using all manner of wizardry, so that's all good.

To be continued...

June 10th, 2013, 7:28 pm
Firing on two.

I have to say that the picture must be deceptive, because from here it looks like a hole. I see he's used his favourite rust converter, but can I suggest that he choses a form of wizardry that doesn't include body filler.

Stresses from the hinge will flex the surrounding metalwork, and filler would crack allowing water to get underneath it, I'd say put some zinc primer on it and then some sort of flexible sealer.

June 12th, 2013, 5:35 am
Firing on two.

Joolz wrote:
I have to say that the picture must be deceptive, because from here it looks like a hole. I see he's used his favourite rust converter, but can I suggest that he choses a form of wizardry that doesn't include body filler.

Stresses from the hinge will flex the surrounding metalwork, and filler would crack allowing water to get underneath it, I'd say put some zinc primer on it and then some sort of flexible sealer.

Yeah the pictures aren't particularly good unfortunately...

Oh yes, he does love the Rust Buster, he will bang on about it to anyone who'll listen :lol:. No, body filler is not on the cards for this particular bit, for the reasons you suggest, I think he's planning on going down the zinc primer and flexible sealer route, hopefully.

June 12th, 2013, 9:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next