View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Bamboo my 87' 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Bamboo my 87'
Swirl pot is on the bulkhead under the heater tube, high pressure pump is on the bulkhead just above the gearbox, high pressure filter mounted on top of gearbox. Low pressure lift pump near the tank using original pickup, return pipe fitted into filler neck.

September 15th, 2013, 2:33 am
Firing on two.

Indeed, as the man says, thanks Joolz. The credit for this install really has to go to the sparrows & joolz. If anyone is thinking about the adapter kit from them & doing this yourself I would say do it! Also if you are in devon & need a test ride to make your mind up then give me a shout.

In case you are wondering I can report 90mph @ 6500rpm. Where it was still pulling like a train. My test track isn't very long at all though. I am reliably informed it will rev to 9200.

I thought fuel economy would be considerably worse but even gunning it around I am getting around 15 miles a tank less. I'm sure if I cruised it would be much better. This is quite hard though.

Next step is finishing a few bits to MSA Sports Libre spec. After perusing the little blue book I think all I need are six point harnesses & a non milk bottle catch tank. I have found a nice set of low topped bucket seats with seperate & removable headrests from BF Torino that will accomodate six pointers and don't look too out of place in the car (I'm not so keen on modern race style recaros). And the same people that make the swirl pot make very reasonably priced catch tanks with custom sized inlets, fill sight glass etc.

September 15th, 2013, 6:50 am
Firing on two.

The need for speed....

September 15th, 2013, 9:43 am
Firing on two.

Thanks Joolz n' Fritz, out of interest which HP pump do you use?
The best suited I could find is Bosch 0 580 254 911 as it has the lowest amp draw vs flow rate...
It just seems a bit crazy to have all that fuel pumping around at such a high rate compared to what the motor actually needs.
Thoughts?

Harley

September 17th, 2013, 3:14 pm
Firing on two.

Ha ha! You over estimate me Harley, the decision process went: open ebay, type 'fuel pump', select cheapest, buy.

I looked for one with push on fittings to make plumbing cheaper, and if the pump was made with a push on fittings I knew it was safe to use them elsewhere.

Probably 0 580 464 070 from that list.

This would do, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-900-9000 ... 2ec7adac0a

September 18th, 2013, 1:46 am
Firing on two.

I have one similar on my car - mine is for Metro Turbo - quite noisy

September 18th, 2013, 8:43 am
Firing on two.

The only thing I have recently changed is to higher quality jubilee clips after the outlet of the hp pump. The others kept working loose & liberally spurting neat fuel over the gearbox & straight down onto the exhaust.. eep!

It may be due to too much fuel but there is a lovely pop in the time gap as I change up a gear if I'm nailing it..

September 18th, 2013, 10:36 am
Firing on two.

So, I've slightly slacked off with keeping this up to date.. and indeed doing much with the car over the last year.

It has had rather a long sojourn at Sparrow Hq recently where it has had:

- full cage added with door bars and harness bar, this has been made as subtly as possible and painted in a bright white to match the wheels
- Sabelt six point harnesses
- custom seat frame and two Aluminium Kirkey Racing vintage buckets that were sent over from the States
- 2cv racing filler neck shortened so it is recessed inside the bodywork
- rear wing cut to make the hole around the filler larger
- LED foglight recessed into rear bumper
- tow straps front and rear
- tank guard underneath petrol tank
- ducting from between the cut out in the front bumper to the oil cooler behind it
- the ami super slotted rims have been banded by 1.5 inch
- door handles drilled (for lightness)
- lightweight Optima Gel Battery added behind passenger seat in a sealed case
- loom changed to suit new battery placement & other additions
- electrical cutoff inside and externally
- push button start and fuel pump on switch
- OMP 2.5ltr plumbed in fire suppression system with external and internal controls
- new custom dashboard with full suite of Stack Motorsports gauges, 160mph speedo, oil temp, fuel, voltage and the monster tacho with shift light that I had already

Why has it had all of this?

Green car and I are off on a new adventure... Hillclimbing and Sprinting (& maybe some Time Attack) in the MSA Sports Libre Class, our first outing is at Gurston Down in mid May.

February 21st, 2015, 8:42 pm
Firing on two.

What an awesome car :-)

Had mine through thick and thin too, and long penniless times. Great to have them still around isn't it.

I never see other 2cv when I'm down - I come home to Totnes sometimes and you'd think I'd see one there if anywhere.

February 22nd, 2015, 12:09 am
Firing on two.

Love it, very similar to what I am doing with mine. Also with the plan for the odd hill climb. I didnt really want to cage mine though!! but if needs must I guess I will.

February 22nd, 2015, 12:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next