View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 2:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Bamboo my 87' 
Firing on two.

Post Bamboo my 87'
Ahoy 2cv folk, new here so thought would introduce my little old bamboo…

So this old girl was my first car, with its old green and white striped wendy roof I bought it when I was 16 from a fireman, Jeff, who used to do up 2cv’s but it was his wifes car and he was going through a divorce (I think?!)… I was never in to 2cv’s but then knowing the fenners, steve & little marc it was a betting that sooner or later I would probably end up with one.

Buying it as it was cheap (& more importantly cheaper to insure than my friends fiestas/crap boxes) I was never really that taken by it.. at first..

Learning to drive in it, borrowing seats from darus & Louisa richs ami so I could take my test in it (needed seats with headrests!).. turned out the examiner used to have a 2cv! It was my only car all the way through college and got me till my third year at uni when I needed a 2nd bigger car to tow my boat with.. Regularly seen droning all over the country with a roofrack stacked with kayaks/bicycles she was a joy to drive, although living by the sea she did need a lot of attention… mmm… portugeuse steel!

I am no welding grand master so when jobs too big came we would take a chance and jump over the border in cornwall to see Graham at the 2cv workshop, floors and bulkheads done one rainy easter in my second year.. yuck that was a nasty few days!! In retrospect it was the best move finding my local 2cv expert as soon as I came down to uni.. probably an ever better move turning up there unannounced with a box of donuts.

As my 2nd car she suffered a little from lack of use, but now I had a big car for kayak/boat lugging it was time to start using her more as a toy & something to play with.. always having enjoyed the mechanical side & simplicity of her design..

She now has..

Engine

9:1 barrels and pistons (AM2) but with 2cv engine cowling
2nd short ratio (2cv) gearbox – with help fitting one night by Matt D (of soft top fame)
Dellorto Carb, jetted out with a K&N Filter
Yellow Harley Coil
Improved & Smaller Screw Top Engine Breather
NGK Iridium Plugs (good on long runs after they got hot)
Two into one pipes replacing the crossbox
2cv van side exit exhaust right after the torpedo
Electric Fuel Pump in spare wheel well
Stainless Braided Fuel Lines
Castrols Finest Oil
Tesco 99 Octane Super Unleaded
Luminition

Once oil up to temperature can cruise all day at 70mph at 5100rpm, high 70’s achievable on flat stretches (perhaps 80 on a really good day although thats just past the end of the speedo..) at approx 6000rpm, higher speeds achievable (on downhill stretches or with ear defenders!)

Brakes

Standard all around but new pads/discs, drums have new cylinders
Stainless rear bits that pass through the axle – a bitch to fit!

Cockpit

Oil Temp Gauge
Rev Gauge
Dice Gearshift
Hanging Tree from rear view mirror
Denim Door cards with 2cv club plastic door trims
Rear Fabric Parcel Shelf

Suspension

Set of caster corrected arms - tracking measured and found to be toed out 3mm either side and within a third of a mm - not bad considering I did it by eye!!
Long tie rod ends
AVO adjustable shocks
Custom set of 150% uprated springs – still to fit – anyone handy with a welder in the devon area & done this before??
A Galvi' Wills Chassis (though it has been uprated after i split it taking off over a hump back bridge round the back of Braunton Burrows/Croyde on a surfari one year)
Runs with 45mm ground clearance (a slamboo as well – although I see this name has been taken!) from my shock mounts.. though catch these on speed bumps & driveways sometimes!

Sparkly Outside Bits

Chrome Headlight Units on thinner width/earlier light bar
Front Indicator Embellishers
Paperclip Over-riders
Rear Light Stainless Surrounds
70’s three bar grill
Single small old style round mirror – mounts to front window hinge
Black Matts Soft Top (not sparkly but now keeps me dry!)

(°\=/°)

Stay stoked,

fritz

Last edited by fritz on July 15th, 2010, 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

July 14th, 2010, 7:59 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Bamboo my 87'
Welcome here fritz, I think we may have discussed your car here previously, Neil mentioned a low bamboo that's visited Grahams joint before.

Have you got a facebook account? either that ir Flickr/photoshop makes uploading pics much easier, or you can email them to me and I can do it for you.

shedspeed@yahoo.co.uk

July 14th, 2010, 8:02 pm
Firing on two.

hello Russell!

Yes that'd be mine ;) have anything good to say about it?!? every time I visit though i have to raise it up a little to get it over grahams speed bump..

thanks dude,

fritz

July 14th, 2010, 8:09 pm
Firing on two.

Yeah definately! from what you've described it sounds like the car I wanted my bamboo to be, but never was!

Grahams drive is a cock innit? I struggled with getting an AX down it, I'd have left me 2cv at the bottom and walked it!

July 14th, 2010, 8:12 pm
super slot

Ah, evening Fritz!

Nice to have you join us. Is this your 2cv:

I've seen it in & around Plymouth a few times & have seen it down Graham's on a few occasions too. Graham said you loved your 2cv, but in his opinion had 'ruined it' by lowering it! :lol:

He used to give me a lot of stick for having my 2cvs real low & still tells the story to customers of how i ripped the suspension can mount clean off the chassis after hitting a protruding stand pipe cover in the road! :lol:

July 14th, 2010, 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Hi Neill,

Haha yes thats her! Its true, I have been in two accidents in her (none my fault - how can people miss me though?!), once where I was spun twice on a dual carriageway roundabout and she looked after me.. also been through alot (LOT!) of miles & hard penniless times through uni... rather attached to her. Just bought a house with her & the lomax in mind, looked at the garage & drive before the house! Hopeful for some serious metal work tidying/bodyshell respray now she has somewhere warm & dry to live.

That was obviously as running stock suspension and I would guess taken over a year ago as I lowered her maybe 12 months ago or more?

Where did you take that piccie? What do you drive? Do you know John from Plymstock with the 2cv, Manx & H-van? Also Kevin with the pick up & lomax towards exeter? Only know sam with his super cool old van (though that got written off i think?) apart from them in plym.

fritz

July 14th, 2010, 9:20 pm
Firing on two.

Here you go:

I noticed in the email, that some of these pictures were entitled 'Welsh roadtrip'

They look startlingly like some photo's of my last 2cv from another 'Welsh roadtrip' and I can only hope and pray yours was more sucssesful...

Thanks for joining btw, looking forward to seeing more of your bamboo!

July 14th, 2010, 10:25 pm
Firing on two.

haha, yes. thanks for sticking the first four up dude. I read about your trip in the bottom photos!

Mine went grand thanks, mountain biking in north wales then an excellent drive from bangor right down through the middle of wales to my sis's in cardiff where the 4 pics were taken.

fritz

July 14th, 2010, 10:31 pm
Firing on two.

Welcome mate! ive seen your car in plymouth before.

July 14th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Aircooled Idiot

welcome!
just out of interest,
do you notice any difference in the iridiums, as there bloody expensive!
they recon more fuel economy and other things?

James

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

July 15th, 2010, 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next