View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Bamboo my 87' 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Bamboo my 87'
Ian, thanks! Yes through thick and thin indeed. Ha you'd of thought totnes with it being the hippy hub of the southwest.

DB78, yes our cars are in sports libre so the absolute minimum is

- a full cage with rear arms and a diagonal (drawing in the blue book but I'll stick up some pictures when I work out how)
- oil catch tank
- fuel tank protection
- fuel filler recessed inside bodywork
- six point harnesses
- fire extinguisher (can be a hand operated one rather than fully plumbed in)
- tow straps front and rear

I can't remember whether cut offs are a necessity or whether you just need to mark how to turn it off on the dash.

February 22nd, 2015, 6:35 pm
Firing on two.

If you want to email me pictures I can post them. Shedspeed@yahoo.co.uk.

February 22nd, 2015, 9:19 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
If you want to email me pictures I can post them. Shedspeed@yahoo.co.uk.

Thank you sir! You have a heap about to land.

February 22nd, 2015, 9:49 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks Fritz, and Russel for when he's posted pics up!! :)

February 25th, 2015, 1:14 pm
Firing on two.

It gets back from the paint shop today so looking forward to seeing the cage, seat frames and banded steels all looking great!

February 25th, 2015, 1:37 pm
Firing on two.

Sorry the pictures are late...

March 1st, 2015, 12:41 pm
Firing on two.

So he's finally finished (until supercharging this coming winter), here are a couple of short clips of hillclimbing last month.

Green car at Gurston Down: https://vimeo.com/127864819

Green car at Prescott - La Vie en Bleu: https://vimeo.com/128740715

Enjoy the sweet BMW noise!

June 8th, 2015, 8:56 pm
Firing on two.

June 8th, 2015, 9:11 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Looking great... I still haven't made a decicion in which car I put my Beamer in...... Ami or 2cv...

Russ

June 8th, 2015, 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

A little look at a few bits of the car up close:

The crackle black finish custom dash with a suite of Stack stepper gauges. The GS fuel gauge is temporary whilst Stack sort out a broken fuel gauge that they supplied.. taking their sweet time though!

You can also make out the fire suppression big red button and test switch in the upper centre just under the windscreen. If you look closely at you can see part of the pipework in the far left. There are two nozzles in the engine bay on the firewall and two nozzles in the cabin at my feet on the lower bulkhead.

I acquired a vintage dymo tape gun from the states with some of the old punch out lettering reel to label up the dash.

Kirkey Racing bucket seats mounted on custom seat frames. They are aluminium with padded leather inserts that press stud in. The drivers is made for my hip width and offset from the side of the car to provide me with a dead straight steering position infront of the wheel, the passenger seat is the widest we could fit in with the available space. You can also notice the external cut off pull wire going down to the cutoff box which is at my feet between the two seats.

Also took the time to label up the cut off box which sits at my feet in the centre of the car - just at the base of the seats.

So here you can see where the lightweight racing battery in its protective box has been relocated too. Also the OMP White Edition canister for the fire system.

And a view from the rear to make it a little bit clearer. Don't worry - the wires are all tucked away now behind new glued in felt panels. What a sticky job..

The Sabelt six point harnesses and cabin interior before the car was finished, there is now FIA approved roll bar padding on the door bars and around where my head may contact the cage - also a nice bit of soft foam on the headrest plate!

A few changes in the engine bay, namely for the regulations. We added a proper catch tank rather than the milk bottle/cider jug that was their before. Funnily enough the motor dropped down to one cylinder when cruising at 6500rpm. It turns out that the BMW motor needs that much air when running at that speed that it sucked the foam filters down the inlet tubes. Currently running without any filters but looking at popping into a motorsport warehouse when back in the uk next to see what they have available in stiff filters that will fit and be up for the task.

The new ducting plate to the extra oil cooler that is hidden behind the front bumper. Also you can see the heat wrap on the exhaust and how low the sump is on this. Luckily I've only clouted the side running silencers and the shock mounts so far - it's not as low as Louis ami I believe.

A work of art in itself - the modified 2cv racing filler neck. It has been cut down so it doesn't protrude past the outer edge of the wing. Also check out that tyre clearance.. this is on 175 65 15s, I will be changing to 185 55 15s soon (if they fit!) as the current tyres are not MSA legal for competition and are not as sticky as I would like.... Anyone after a set of Yokohama 175 65 15s? Only ragged for 2000 miles and two hillclimb events.

So... turns out the banded steels were made a few mm too wide... Sparrow Automotive pushed the boat out again and put 4deg of negative camber in the rear (a bonus anyway) and trimmed out all of the arch strengthening at the base of the rear wing. Every mm counted!

The timing strut (or bert strut) that is a requirement of hillclimbing and sprinting.

Peeled some of his ragged old surf & boat racing stickers off and added some that are a little more themed.

June 8th, 2015, 10:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next