View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 10:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
 Very rusty '86 Bleu Celeste. 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Very rusty '86 Bleu Celeste.
Lenny wrote:
Will my 'Anne Summers Tangerine Joy Jelly' do the job do you think?

if you are feeling amorous towards your car, then i would imagine so.

August 3rd, 2010, 12:35 pm
Firing on two.

It's slow going now. I've reached the filling and rubbing down bit. I hate this bit.
I must have spent a good 8 hours this week sorting out the offside front screen pillar and blending in the offside rear sweep. Pretty pleased with the results though.

I've spent this afternoon doing the same to the nearside aswell as finishing off welding the B-pillar to the sill (after checking the door gaps). Whilst removing the bracing framework with a cutting disc on an angle grinder I managed to modify myself a bit too.

That smarted a bit. Didn't know I knew so many swear words. I think I may have made up a few new ones.

August 8th, 2010, 10:55 pm
Firing on two.

usually I find grinders quarterize the wound straight away and it doesn't hurt that much.

Excallent work on the car though, I'm still envious of your work, have you had any training as such in body repair?

August 8th, 2010, 10:59 pm
super slot

Fantastic work as per usual! It must be satifsfying to know that it's done properly!

August 8th, 2010, 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Quote:
have you had any training as such in body repair?

No none at all unfortunately. Just years and years of welding up crusty sheds. This is only the second one I've done to this extent though. Hopefully I'll get it finished without removing any limbs in the process.

Quote:
Fantastic work as per usual! It must be satifsfying to know that it's done properly!

Ta very mooch. I'm still amazed that I've got this far without bodging anything. It's taken some proper willpower you know. :D

August 8th, 2010, 11:17 pm
super slot

Any progress, Lenny?

August 26th, 2010, 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Quote:
Any progress, Lenny?

It had to take a bit of a back seat for a couple of weeks.

I had to get my other 2cv totally prepared for the jaunt we got back from about 6 hours ago.

We drove to Italy for a pizza.

It was absolutely brilliant.
(Well the adventure was brilliant. The pizza was alright I suppose.)

I'll be back in the garage at the weekend. Still got a bit of rubbing down to do then it's out of the garage and into the cheapo gazebo for a bit of grit blasting here and there.

Dreamy. :D

August 26th, 2010, 5:58 pm
Firing on two.

I managed to spend a day in the garage over the weekend. I'd forgotten what an unpleasant job grit blasting is.
I spent an hour or so trying to set up the gazebo in front of the garage on one of the windiest days of the year before giving up and putting it up inside the garage.
It worked a treat as a blasting booth and made clearing up afterwards a lot easier than if I'd just gone ahead and filled the whole garage with grit.

I'm a big fan of grit blasting for small rusty but solid areas and I think it's gives the best chance of getting rust out of seams, like this usual bit above the doors:

Before....

...and after:

And the roof clips:

Before...

...and after:

I did plenty of other little bits here and there too so hopefully there'll be no rust to come bubbling back through in the near future.

Sealed and finished the bottom of the nearside B-pillar too. You can also almost see the round dining table top with wheels that I've mounted the body on. Makes it proper easy to move it about. Should have thought of it weeks ago.

With a bit of luck I'll have plenty of time in the garage this weekend. I'd like to get the shell painted while the weather is still something approaching warm.

September 1st, 2010, 10:06 pm
super slot

I love this thread! :)

September 1st, 2010, 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Quote:
I love this thread!

It's funny really. Updating this thread somehow keeps a bit of pressure on to keep going, in a really good way.
On any project I never have any problem getting on with it. Chopping out the rot and welding in new bits is great. It's this bit where all the small details need finishing and all the filling, priming and rubbing down over and over again that does my head in.
You can do hours of work and hardly see what you've achieved. I know it'll all be worth it when it's done.

September 1st, 2010, 10:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next