View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2024, 2:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
 Very rusty '86 Bleu Celeste. 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Very rusty '86 Bleu Celeste.
Over the last week I must admit I've been flagging a bit. I've been down to Nottingham to collect four doors and then up to somewhere or other just north of Hull to collect two more.
I've also managed a few hours in the garage here and there.
The offside rear sweep and the back panel are now in place. They weren't the easiest to fit but we got there in the end. The back panel was great but the sweep was a bit of a challenge.

Inside the boot is starting to look a bit less frilly...

So, two panels left to go. Nearside rear sweep and a-panel, but not tomorrow. Tomorrow I'm going out to get drunk. 8-)

July 17th, 2010, 10:23 pm
Firing on two.

Looks really nice, what a good job on the welding. Can hardly see the join where the new sweep meets the old panel. 8-) Keep updating!

July 19th, 2010, 12:10 am
Firing on two.

That's all the panels fitted at last...

Front A-panel was nice and easy and fitted a treat...

Now, at the risk of sounding a saddo, I've been keeping a record of how long I've spent on this and it's currently running at 43 hours, in just over 3 weeks. Me ears are ringing from the grinder, I've got a superb tan from the welder, and me bird has forgotten what I look like.
I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far though.
Next step is to get it back the right way up and start the endless task of getting the shell ready for paint.

July 19th, 2010, 10:12 pm
super slot

Very impressive work - looks like you could teach the 'pro's' a thing or two ;)

July 19th, 2010, 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Quote:
Very impressive work - looks like you could teach the 'pro's' a thing or two

I doubt that to be honest! :D

It's made me realise how many corners must have to be cut to 'restore' one profitably though.

I can honestly say I haven't bodged anything on this so far. I nearly did. I nearly covered the pin holes in the bottom of the front bulkhead with seam sealer, but then my conscience made me do it properly.

I've no idea what I'm going to do with the car when it's finished. I'm hoping my lass will take a shine to it and get rid of her Ka but if I finish up selling it I want to do so without thinking I've ripped anybody off in any way and hope what I've done will last another 20 years.

July 20th, 2010, 9:24 am
Firing on two.

This week has been a week of tidying up loose ends. I've welded new seat belt mounts into the new inner wings and midified the bump stops in the way Ken suggested, then it was on with the compressor and out with some paint.

Zinc etch primer here and there followed by seam sealer on all seams.

Followed by light grey stonechip paint (I prefer light grey so I can see if the top coat completely covers it).

Final coat is Schutz with Waxoyl.

A very light coat of the Schutz thinned with petrol was sprayed on the bottom of the boot floor and both inner arches to give a bit of a gloss.

Once that lot's dried I've got to get the shell the right way up and start on the top side.

The gathering of parts is going fairly well. I now have doors galore to choose from, two useable bonnets, some smashing chrome headlight shells and a brilliant pair of tail lights (thank you Ken).

Last edited by Lenny on July 31st, 2010, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 25th, 2010, 11:32 am
Firing on two.

Now I've got the shell the right way up I sort of wish I'd left it upside down. It looks far better underneath.
I was sort of hoping not to have to do too much with the windscreen surround. On the face of it things didn't look too bad...

...alright the vent flap has seen better days but on close inspection there's been a new bonnet hinge panel fitted at some time so I was hoping that whipping the screen out and grit blasting the rusty bits followed by a proper painting would sort the job out. Unfortunately I was a little bit wrong....

...there's this bit in the top corner of the bulkhead too...

...and the top corners have had it too...

...so another few quid has been invested in a windscreen surround which I'm not really looking forward to fitting tomorrow. Aren't they a bugger to fit?

July 31st, 2010, 10:08 pm
I've not done a windscreen surround (yet) but, judging by the work you've already done, I wouldn't imagine it's going to pose you too many problems. 8-)

July 31st, 2010, 10:12 pm
2CV Fan

Hi Lenny, I envy your skills in doing this, really great inspiring work. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the windscreen. I need to do the same job on mine, but have been avoiding it for a long time.

August 1st, 2010, 10:59 pm
Firing on two.

It's not so bad you know. I'd always avoided doing one until today but I was pleasantly surprised how straightforward it was.

Drilling out all the spotwelds took forever:

Two hours to get the old panel off:

Two hours or so to repair the bulkhead...

...and remove the rust on the thankfully solid box section below the windscreen:

Then another couple of hours playing about with the new panel and welding it in place:

Very pleased with it so far. Still got a good couple of hours work on it left to do. Got to finish the top corners and the bottom bits where this panel meets the A-panels.

Get the welder out and get stuck in. It's REALLY not that bad a job to do.

August 1st, 2010, 11:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next