View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 my 83 2cv6 'CLUB' 
Firing on two.

Post my 83 2cv6 'CLUB'
Well here is my starter thread.
Brought this 2cv a couple of years ago with intention of racing it, however over time I have changed my mind and would like to see it back on the road in its original looking form but with some performance updates to make it a nice daily driver or to take to little car shows etc. Not concourse but a tidy example.

2 years ago I stripped wings,door etc off it and some interior bits like dash and trip prior to preparing it for a rollcage but then work got in the way and 2years on its covered in dust and I forgot what it was or needs!!! :oops:

Tonight I dropped the wings back into place and rear doors and listed the few mechanical parts I think it needs to get through and MOT. Front pads and a shaft gator.. Other than rust and thing else that I should look out for?

Think my plan will be to get an mot on it asap and then start tidying it up.

any thought ideas etc welcomed.

db

August 28th, 2013, 12:09 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Post Re: my 83 2cv6 'CLUB'
Can't help much with regards to what parts it might need for MOT purposes, but your photographs should be handy to help Pottsy see what a tidy '82 reg 2CV Club looks like...
( For reference; http://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/number ... ained.html )

Did you adjust the valve clearances before putting the wings back on?
'Tight tappets' are one item which will cause problems with the emissions part of an MOT test, with the bodgers getting round the 'problem' by increasing the tickover speed and leaning the idle mixture right off rather than doing what they should have done, which was to have given the poor thing a proper service. :roll:

If it's been stood for a good while, the pivots for the rear brake shoes may have rusted up, which can result in the rear brakes dragging after the tester has managed to obtain an acceptable brake reading, but only by coming close to pulling the steering column off the rack.

Greasing the kingpins might make the difference between a pass or a fail.

As for rusty bits, the list of areas to check could be quite long...

ken
( p.s. No 'gators on 2CVs, those are to be found only in America and China. ;) )

db78 wrote:
Well here is my starter thread.
Brought this 2cv a couple of years ago with intention of racing it, however over time I have changed my mind and would like to see it back on the road in its original looking form but with some performance updates to make it a nice daily driver or to take to little car shows etc. Not concourse but a tidy example.

2 years ago I stripped wings,door etc off it and some interior bits like dash and trip prior to preparing it for a rollcage but then work got in the way and 2years on its covered in dust and I forgot what it was or needs!!! :oops:

Tonight I dropped the wings back into place and rear doors and listed the few mechanical parts I think it needs to get through and MOT. Front pads and a shaft gator.. Other than rust and thing else that I should look out for?

Think my plan will be to get an mot on it asap and then start tidying it up.

any thought ideas etc welcomed.

db

August 28th, 2013, 12:43 am
super slot

Nice looking car!

I think the previous owner is on here, 'Deano'.

Attachments:
club 29-03-2009.jpg
club 29-03-2009.jpg [ 91.52 KiB | Viewed 8771 times ]

August 28th, 2013, 7:22 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Neil wrote:
Nice looking car!

I think the previous owner is on here, 'Deano'.

Quite possible as the guy I brought it from races historic Astons from time to time, it also has an Aston Martin owners club sticker in front screen.

Welding list is not very long, boot floor and a little in passenger foot well. Nothing major.
The wings are only nipped up as will remove them when I tidy the engine bay so can set tappets at same time. Where can I find hot/cold clearances?

August 28th, 2013, 7:30 am
super slot

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=329

August 28th, 2013, 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Neil wrote:
http://www.international2cvfriends.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=329

Good find.. searched his posts but can't see anything about the club, one about a cut and shut which I hope isn't the club ha ha.

Maybe he will see this thread.

August 28th, 2013, 9:01 am
super slot

db78 wrote:
Neil wrote:

Good find.. searched his posts but can't see anything about the club, one about a cut and shut which I hope isn't the club ha ha.

That was a different car!

He hasn't logged in for over a month - might be worth sending him PM, that way he should get an email notification.

August 28th, 2013, 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

db,
for valve clearance, try here,
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2799
& here...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2754

Setting the clearances a shade wider than originally advised by Citroen, especially on the exhaust, lessens the chances of ending up with burned valves.
I'd also recommend backing off and retorquing the head studs to 17 lb.ft. if you don't know when that was last done, especially as some folk think they were given bionic arms at birth and so are capable of tightening them correctly without resorting to a torque wrench. :roll:
Sean's suggestion of replacing the 'peg bolts' at the lower end of the rocker shafts with Allen screws ( plain, not stainless) is also worth noting.

ken

db78 wrote:
Welding list is not very long, boot floor and a little in passenger foot well. Nothing major.
The wings are only nipped up as will remove them when I tidy the engine bay so can set tappets at same time. Where can I find hot/cold clearances?

August 28th, 2013, 9:51 am
Firing on two.

Neil wrote:
db78 wrote:
Neil wrote:

That was a different car!

He hasn't logged in for over a month - might be worth sending him PM, that way he should get an email notification.

That's good then.. unfortunately between him having it and me the previous owner managed to dent the bonnet so I need to replace or repair that. Will probably have a go at panel beating it first and replace as last resort. Rear bumper got a bend too.

August 28th, 2013, 9:55 am
Firing on two.

ken wrote:
db,
for valve clearance, try here,
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2799
& here...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2754

Setting the clearances a shade wider than originally advised by Citroen, especially on the exhaust, lessens the chances of ending up with burned valves.
I'd also recommend backing off and retorquing the head studs to 17 lb.ft. if you don't know when that was last done, especially as some folk think they were given bionic arms at birth and so are capable of tightening them correctly without resorting to a torque wrench. :roll:
Sean's suggestion of replacing the 'peg bolts' at the lower end of the rocker shafts with Allen screws ( plain, not stainless) is also worth noting.

db78 wrote:

Thabks

Thanks Ken, I will have a read of those links at lunch time and then give the engine some loving at the weekend.

August 28th, 2013, 9:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next