View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My "Plums and Custard" D*lly - crashed! :( 

Post Re: My "Plums and Custard" D*lly - crashed! :(
Well I've just spoken to Dave Winchester of Southend based 2CV Services (his card was in the history file). He basically confirmed everything that has been said here, he actually drove past the car when it was sitting on the pavement following the accident. He is 100% certain the insurance company will write it off, in his opinion it would be better going through the insurance, and he says while the back panel might be difficult and expensive to repair he thinks the boot floor could be straightened out and the back panel replaced, although the main expense would be the chassis....he has offered to have a look at it Tuesday.

The father of the girl who hit me has been on the phone and is keen for me to accept a private settlement, which I have been advised not to get involved with.

June 19th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Firing on two.

Oh that really sucks, I really hope you can rescue it... The Ka is totalled I hope?

Anyway, took the liberty to update your signature icon ;)

June 19th, 2010, 8:51 pm
Firing on two.

Richard H wrote:
Well I've just spoken to Dave Winchester of Southend based 2CV Services (his card was in the history file). He basically confirmed everything that has been said here, he actually drove past the car when it was sitting on the pavement following the accident. He is 100% certain the insurance company will write it off, in his opinion it would be better going through the insurance, and he says while the back panel might be difficult and expensive to repair he thinks the boot floor could be straightened out and the back panel replaced, although the main expense would be the chassis....he has offered to have a look at it Tuesday.

The father of the girl who hit me has been on the phone and is keen for me to accept a private settlement, which I have been advised not to get involved with.

What does this girl look like?

On a serious note, thats pretty wack it happened in the first place. all the best sorting the car out. it is summer afterall!

June 19th, 2010, 8:58 pm
Firing on two.

Richard H wrote:

On what grounds were you advised not to? I'd get an estimate for fixing it and then see if the 'settlement' was acceptable.
If it could be sorted out amicably without involving the suits I'd consider it a victory for common sense.
I don't know what condition the damaged parts were in prior to the impact, but if after being repaired it will be in considerably better condition, then I would feel it unfair to expect the father to stump up the full bill.

June 19th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Well, the back panel and chassis were certainly very tired and the chassis would probably have only seen one more MOT at the most before it would need replacing. Basically I have been told that I am unlikely to get anywhere near the costs of repair from a private settlement, and that if the insurance offer is not satisfactory, that I can insist the car is restored to pre-accident condition with no expense spared.

I tried to contact my insurance company this evening but when I got through I was asked if the car was still drivable, as it was I was told to call back tomorrow morning.

The KA didn't seem too badly damaged, but the father told me the bumper, bonnet, and radiator need replacing, and the front crossmember has been shoved back so he thinks it's written off as well.

Oh the girl was quite fit, just a shame she managed to demolish my 2CV's rear end :(

Last edited by Richard H on June 20th, 2010, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 19th, 2010, 11:58 pm
Firing on two.

Richard H wrote:
Well, the back panel and chassis were certainly very tired and the chassis would probably have only seen one more MOT at the most before it would need replacing. Basically I have been told that I am unlikely to get anywhere near the costs of repair from a private settlement, and that if the insurance offer is not satisfactory, that I can insist the car is restored to pre-accident condition with no expense spared.

I tried to contact my insurance company this evening but when I got through I was asked if the car was still drivable, as it was I was told to call back tomorrow morning.

Oh the girl was quite fit, just a shame she managed to demolish my 2CV's rear end :(

demolish her rear end? and eye for an eye and all that.

June 20th, 2010, 12:01 am
Field Plougher

:lol:
your on a role today with these comments joe

June 20th, 2010, 12:07 am
Firing on two.

You'll struggle to insist that the car is restored to pre accident condition. As you've said the light panel wasn't great, the chassis was maybe fit for one MOT. Were the insurance to agree to rebuild the car by swapping out the chassis and replacing the bodywork then they are entitled to ask you to pay for your share of the repair i.e. the increase in value between a car with a ropey chassis and rust and one that has a new chassis and is now shiny.

However they won't go down that route with your car. It lacks the inherent value to do serious work to it. They will simply look at the value of the car before it got intimate with the KA and settle it as a write off. They are not obliged to deliver you a restored 2CV in return for your crashed tatty one.

Richard H wrote:

The KA didn't seem too badly damaged, but the father told me the bumper, bonnet, and radiator need replacing, and the front crossmember has been shoved back so he thinks it's written off as well.

June 20th, 2010, 12:42 am
Aircooled Idiot

sorry to see that mate, saw it and heart sank

i was going to give you some advice but hey i know nothing... so no point

hope all ends well, as it would be sad for another one to hit the dust....

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

June 20th, 2010, 1:21 am
Profile WWW
viking bastard

Maybe consider the money the other party is prepared to give you. Find a suitable donor 2cv (maybe one without papers) and move parts over if possible. This way the 2cv is not written off and kept on the road for a lot longer. You get a spare 2cv for parts and the insurance company is not involved.
Good luck

June 20th, 2010, 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next