View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My "Plums and Custard" D*lly - crashed! :( 

Post Re: My "Plums and Custard" D*lly
Hi Russell, I'm in Southend, South East Essex. I don't think I'm going to be insured in time for the Easter Camp so I think I'll have to give it a miss unfortunately :(

Next year - hopefully! :D

March 25th, 2010, 8:05 pm
Firing on two.

Hi Richard. If you join 2CVGB you should be able to get a pretty good discount with Footman James.

Look forward to seeing you and your car in a field somewhere soon (I really like plum and custard wollies btw)!

March 25th, 2010, 10:04 pm
Firing on two.

Hello Richard, welcome to I2F :D You can turn up at the Easter Camp in your A35, t'will be ok. You mention your clutch is fierce and you're graunching in to 1st & reverse? Sounds like plenty of "meat" on the clutch to me, try adjusting it, you should have about an inch or so of free play at the clutch pedal.

March 25th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Firing on two.

Richard
What a bargain! Provided the all important chassis and floors/bulkheads are sound, you've got a nice car. Yes, get insured with Footman James. I tried various other options (GoCompare.com) and although some were cheaper, none offered the extras such as overseas recovery and home recovery that I wanted. (£100 fully comp). Lots of friendly advice on here and the 2CVGB forum and your car should soon be running sweetly. Should the clutch need replacing, and of course you must ensure it's properly adjusted first, they are a synch to change. I changed mine a couple of weeks ago, and it DID need changing, whipped the engine out, replace the clutch, refitted engine, and she's now as sweet as a nut. Everything else can be done as and when.

March 26th, 2010, 10:56 am
Firing on two.

Richard H wrote:
Little Louis wrote:
Nice loads better than mine at £300 :lol: how did you get into 2cvs, are 2cvs in the family, just fancied one?

paint it all one colour and it will be brilliant :lol:

Paint it all one colour? Why would I want to do that? wollies are far superior to any other A Series ;)

:D That's the spirit. I love the plums n custard colour scheme (and all D-ollies) - they're lovely. Both my brothers had PnC wollies - I did my first London to Brighton in one when I was about 5 :)

Looks like you got quite a bargain. Why not spend a day on her bum - remove the light fittings and whatnot and sand the rust off (is it rust? - cant quite see on my phone) before it goes any further. Then zinc prime and spray her up at the back.

You've certainly joined the best 2cv forum - it's great.

And as other people have already said, try Footman James, they're very good - just be aware (if it applies to you) of their compulsory excess of £150 that applies to young drivers.

March 26th, 2010, 2:37 pm

Hi guys.

Sorry I haven't posted on here recently, but I got the 2CV insured and have been using it everyday for the last couple of months, it's been great.

Sadly this morning I was stationary in a queue of traffic when a young girl in a KA ran into the back of me! The impact was so great my glasses went flying off and landed on the back seat somehow!

Anyway the good news is that she has admitted full liability, she was in tears and very shaken up about it, she took her eyes off the road to look for the wiper switch (it was raining heavily) and WAM.

The bad news is that my lovely little D*lly is very badly damaged, the rear panel has been shoved back, the inner wings and boot floor are all crumpled, the exhaust mounts have sheared, and perhaps worst of all, one side of the chassis has actually sheared off (I knew it was on its last legs anyway)

Well no doubt there will be an assessor coming round soon, who will almost certainly write it off, I just wonder if there is some way it could be repaired as I have grown very attached to the old thing :(

Here are some pictures of the damage:

Any help much appreciated with what I should do next guys! I'm with Footman James and have never had to do anything like this before!

June 19th, 2010, 5:49 pm
Field Plougher

oh shit my face dropped when i saw that, i hope they only make it cat C write off so you can put her back on the road

Feel sorry for you dude :( :(

June 19th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Little Louis wrote:
oh shit my face dropped when i saw that, i hope they only make it cat C write off so you can put her back on the road

Feel sorry for you dude :( :(

Thanks dude. I really couldn't bear to see her go to the scrapyard :(

June 19th, 2010, 5:58 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: My "Plums and Custard" D*lly - crashed! :(
Oh dear, that looks rather painful.

Anything can be salvaged with enough time and money I guess, but that looks like a considerable amount of work to me.

Hopefully they will make it a cat C so you can buy it back and do it yourself...

June 19th, 2010, 6:09 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: My "Plums and Custard" D*lly - crashed! :(
That doesn't look too bad to me, but it will no doubt need putting on a new chassis and the back panel and boot floor will need changing.

The problem you'll run into with the insurance is betterment; If all the required work is done its condition will be considerably better than pre accident. I think I have a brand new genuine back panel sitting on the shelf. Its fairly easy stuff though.

The sensible thing might be to find a better shell if its done on a DIY basis.

June 19th, 2010, 6:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next