View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Jeremy AKS400 Super 
gym bunny

Post Jeremy AKS400 Super
Bought end of June 2008.

Info from pervious owner:

"The body, as I expect you will realise is a Louis Barbour/Pete Sparrow conversion with up/down rear tailgate, extended wings, and fibreglass bonnet, all in pretty good condition - no rust, but will need some tidying

Underneath is an Ami Super chassis, 1220 engine and 4 speed box (the Ami bell housing is used to keep the same engine/gearbox length to fit the Super chassis). A floor mounted gear shift is fitted. I rebuilt the engine in about 1988 with new belts, etc, and it last ran in 1990, so you would need to look at it carefully, but other than possibly new belts again, it should be OK, but no promises! The gearbox was fine when it came out of the donor GS, and I put a new clutch in it when I put it together. I have a brand new exhaust designed for a Super bought from a company in Belgium in 2005. It has never been fitted, but should be OK. It forms the Y pipe, and everything beyond. It doesn't use a cross-box of any sort, just 2 silencers down the side. The original manifolds and straight pipes were OK, but are probably shot now, but I have some spares

It has 5 Ami Super wheels (the ones with the holes) with 5 hardly used, but now rather old Michelin 145/15s on them. They have been stored in the dark in my garage loft, and the ones shown in the photos are worn out 2CV ones just to keep the van off the ground and save the good ones. The tyres are not perished at all, and should be fine.

You would need to sort out the hand brake mechanism, which is currently mounted on the chassis where the exhaust passes. I originally thought it would be easier to route the exhaust around the handbrake, but I think that was wrong, and is one of the main reasons the project stalled

It has twin fuel tanks - the Super one and the AK one have both been connected with a Jaguar XJ switch between them, so I think you end up with about 13 gallons

It has Fiat Panda seats - they are nice and skinny, and have head restraints.

I originally intended to put in a Visa instrument panel with the pods - that has been roughly fitted.

The main thing that it doesn't have is a wiring loom - I had intended so many variations (Visa dash, twin tanks, GSA heater (fitted), reversing lights, etc) that I was going to make one up from scratch, but didn't get very far - another reason I got into difficulty

I have the new style registration for the Super - don't know if that still works, but it's probably a start

There is almost everything available that's needed to finish it, apart from the wiring loom (though I have enough loose wiring to make one up), and the handbrake mechanism - it is currently a 2CV type bolted to the chassis, though probably needs to be one of the bulkhead mounted ones.

I have a variety of spares, including an engine and gearbox, condition of both completely unknown, a roof-rack, new front discs, and a new pair of long van door mirror arms, which I believe are now unobtainable, though you will need to find the actual mirrors."

Since it arrived at mine i have done various things with it including the engine work and getting it running! It is still WIP but getting there slowely. 85% of bits working now and will be ready for Czech etc next year! Needs A damn good clean... :roll:

December 8th, 2008, 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
gym bunny

Post I DROVE HIM!
after the stress of Christmas shopping which i failed to complete before giving up and loosing interest i decided Van work would be the answer to calm me down... 12Degrees outside so i pushed jeremey out and set about tinkering.
More lube on the stuck springs, abit of a bounce, checking fuel pipe (which all needs replacing as its split! and very old) and fitting the horribly expensive rear reflectors...

after that and abit of petrol drinking, tank blowings, pipe sucking and splash in the carb he ran on his own from the tank!

best bit is HE'S ALIVE! drove forward off the drive, then tried to find reverse, stalled as i picked 4th, then got my brain and him in gear and backed back on to the drive. Clutch sounds brand new but he smokes alot! i think he may just need a cain about once i insure and make him abit more legal and safe! woop! woop! happy bunny! :D

December 22nd, 2008, 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Jeremy AKS400 Super
Nice work Timmy! He'll be on the road for Sportsmans at this rate.

This warm weather's brilliant. I've been outside all morning in a t-shirt, working on cars as well.

December 22nd, 2008, 4:00 pm
gym bunny

Cheers! It's not warm enough to paint really...?! RSA is probably going to be the Ami!

December 22nd, 2008, 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Well done Timmy!

The gearchange will catch you out now and again especially when going from a normal A-series to a sidewinder!

Can't wait to see it on the road, it'll soon be time for another Timmy Project!

December 22nd, 2008, 7:58 pm
gym bunny

haha. got the chassis ready for the next one!!!

December 23rd, 2008, 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Got anything in mind? That chassis was a bargain to end all bargains!

December 23rd, 2008, 7:50 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
Got anything in mind? That chassis was a bargain to end all bargains!

Jason's Ami! Go on Timmy, it's only a bit bent/burnt out...

December 24th, 2008, 12:12 am
gym bunny

it starts, runs and then falls to bits. its leaking alot of fuel from the back of the carb but i dont know why! HELP! :cry:

leaking from nut type thing i think. everything appears tight and the carb inside looks clean.

January 3rd, 2009, 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
gym bunny

1222 coming out, 1299 going in!

engine currently in the boot of the Xantia as i have no space in the garage and its heavy.

engine ready to pull out now once ive checked and removed all the bits i can think i want to.
(click pic to make bigger)

pump blanking plate:

wonder if there is a market for these plates?

January 18th, 2009, 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next