View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 6:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 54  Next
 Joolz's Red One 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Joolz's Red One
Can't you move the bonnet and wings forwards a bit by increasing the distance between the windscreen and the bonnet hinge? Done properly that shouldn't really be noticeable.

May 26th, 2010, 1:48 am
Firing on two.

I could, but I don't want to. I know it looks alright if done well, but I want to keep the external appearance as standard as possible, even to the trained eye. Plus I'd far rather do mechanics than bodywork anyday, I hate bodywork.

May 26th, 2010, 2:08 am
gym bunny

I got my 5 speed box from Chevronics... not cheap but known working boexes.

May 26th, 2010, 7:00 am
Profile WWW
I always liked the 4 speed from GS/AS 1129cc Specials, it had a brilliantly high top although it had a large jump (similar to that of a Dyane box) but it never bothered me.

It was low enough to allow the Dyane to pull (with 1299) in top from about 35 mph and would also return over 40 mpg (with Mrs Spanners driving it) 8-)

May 26th, 2010, 7:48 am
Firing on two.

4 and 5 speed gearboxes are the same size... Not a cm difference! Just the housing.

Last edited by Dago on May 26th, 2010, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2010, 7:52 am
Firing on two.

I vote you move the axle back. Only because I want to see the sexy custom front arms you make to compensate for the shocker and tie rod pick ups and the wheel being too far back. Something tubular and tig welded, similar in appearance to a bike frame would be nice. Cheers.

May 26th, 2010, 7:54 am
Firing on two.

Moving front axel back:
When I rebuilt my front swingarms to 10 degrees less caster,
I was forced to change little on the fenders when the wheels end was moved almost 2cm. forward.
Was it a way to do it?? , and so it becomes easier to manage if it has lowered suspension.

May 26th, 2010, 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Joolz wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think any of them would allow me to move the box any further back than it already is, I wouldn't bother changing to a GS box unless it was a 5speed, and at the moment I can't think of any way of fitting in a 5sp without lifting it over the axle. I might be able to move the engine forward 10mm and might be able to machine a bit more off the bellhousing if I thin the flywheel to match. To be honest I'm probably pushing my luck trying to get a 5sp under a standard 2cv bonnet.

As the gearbox mounting is at the moment, the distance between the bracket on the axle and the rear casing is; 2mm of bracket, about 6mm of bolt head, and about 3mm of clearance. And that's with the bracket on the axle moved back 25mm, so I've already got every spare millimetre I can find. Plus there is no spare room between the steering rod ends and the back of the casing, so I would have to lift the back of the box.

Does anyone know exactly how much longer a 5speed is over a 4sp?

Should I move the front axle back 2 or 3cm? I don't see why I can't.

Should I go and buy that 5sp off leboncoin? Do they come up for sale very often?

you could lengthen/ stretch the fenders and bonnet in front a bit (just 1 or 2 inches or so) that will give you some more space.

how much longer...?? see site cats.net; 2cv; tuning; calculations. (difference in top speed; then calculate what the percentual difference is) there is also a list of all availible gearboxes and all gear ratio's, also what the speed is @ 1000 rpm, so it is easy to compare here you can also see that there are differences in 5 speed boxes as well
link: http://www.cats-citroen.net/home.html

If you move the axle back; your wheels will go back as well.. I think it looks better if you stretch bonnet and fenders.

5 sp of LBC... Over here on 'the main land' ;) there are many GSA's scrapped, most of the time with engine and box... if you are willing to search a bit it will be possible to find one (a friend of mine probbably has 1 or 2 in his shed, I can ask him if you'd like) altough €150 isn't to much I think (but how to get it on the Island ;) )

one more thing if you use the bellhousing af a visa/ LNA box (yes it fits) you will gain a couple of cm's as well!

suc 6

greetzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Rusty

May 26th, 2010, 9:19 am
Field Plougher

can you raise the engine so its above the axle and make a hump in your toe board to accommodate the gearbox?

May 26th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Firing on two.

Little Louis wrote:
can you raise the engine so its above the axle and make a hump in your toe board to accommodate the gearbox?

That's the usual way to do 5spd Sidewinders - but it puts the driveshaft joints at a steeper angle, and also has the oil sitting in funny places in the box because of the changed angle.

May 26th, 2010, 5:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 54  Next