View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 54  Next
 Joolz's Red One 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Joolz's Red One
Yeah get some more info on here!

I was lucky enough to get a ride in "Joolz's Red One" and it gave me the largest smile of the meeting!

Just fantastic! 8-)

May 17th, 2010, 8:10 pm
Spellin Bea

yea we went shopping with joolz i couldnt keep up with him in the dyane :( , although Pete Flint-Murray was also lucky to get a ride the bastard :lol:

great meeting you joolz! how was the ride home little sick hehe :D

May 17th, 2010, 8:20 pm
Firing on two.

Okay, so some of you might have picked up on the fact that I've done a couple of jobs on the car and 'overlooked' to mention it.

History, As I mention back on the first page I bought the car back in August '04, and even before I bought it, I was considering the various tuning options, race spec, fast road cams, two-one exhausts, twin carbs, big bores, turbos, supercharging, all of which might be capable of netting me 45-60hp, but at considerable cost and at the expense of reliability. I then came across a very detailed account of building a pembleton on somebody's web site, and spent about a year following his progress. He was using an older BMW 'airhead' engine, an '80s R100, mated to the standard 2CV gearbox, which is a common option for pembletons, apparently the reduced weight of the kit car means the gearbox gets an easier time and has a reasonably life expectancy.
I contacted pembleton and asked if they were interested in selling me the parts necessary to join the engine and box, they weren't, but if they could do it then is was obviously possible, and I set about trawling ebay for a suitable engine. After watching a few and realising that they hold their value quite well, I came across one of the newer type(Oilhead) 1150 motors listed as a non-runner, a bit of research told me they were newer, bigger, and more powerful, the fact that they use full engine management was inconvenient, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, and I didn't even know if it could be made to fit the gearbox yet. Anyway the bid was placed and £150 later it was mine, this was about january '06.

Last edited by Joolz on September 2nd, 2015, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 21st, 2010, 12:24 am
Firing on two.

On getting hold of the motor things looked promising, when held up against a spare gearbox no major parts were fouling each other, and even though the BM motor has a long sump which sticks back under the bellhousing, it left enough room for the clutch release arm. Infact it looked easier than the R100 option the pembletons used.
Working out the flywheel and starter options came next, unlike the majority of bikes, the BMW uses a dry clutch and starter ring gear mounted on a large flywheel with an external starter, exactly like a car. Fitting any other bike engine(except a moto Guzzi which is similar) would be a far more complex job. The BMW starter was discounted as it wanted to sit where the left brake disc now was, and although I hadn't done anything like this before, I'd always taken an interest in 'properly' modified cars, and it soon became clear that the easiest option would be to fit the 2CV flywheel to the back of the BMW engine, this would mean that both the clutch and starter could be left exactly as citroen intended, although at this stage I had no idea if either of them would be man enough for their new roles. An added bonus was that both the 2CV and the BMW use a 5 bolt flywheel, the spacing of which is close enough that the holes in the 2CV flywheel could simply be enlarged and offset sightly to match the holes in the BMW crankshaft.
I'm bored of writing now so I'm going to lob up some pictures, I know you all like pictures. :D

May 21st, 2010, 12:26 am
Beard

Joolz wrote:
I know you all like pictures. :D

:D

http://www.rollingonfour.co.uk

May 21st, 2010, 12:50 am
Firing on two.

You'll have to make do with what I took for now, these were all taken while the engine and box were going in last autumn, I don't think I ever took any early on and can't check my phone because I killed it with beer at Giel. :roll: Luckily I'd already uploaded these, as ever the quality is so so.

The first two show the back of the BM engine with the 2CV flywheel and clutch mounted on it, also in place is the adapter plate, you can see the four studs which replicate those on the back of the 2CV engine, you should also be able to make out the heads of the countersunk screws that hold it to the engine.

And this is the LNA gearbox. I had originally been intending to use the 2CV gearbox because 'G-types' were hard to come across, and had the attitude that I would replace it when it broke. However after a while I accepted that it would have a very short life expectancy and found myself the LNA box, luckily it's virtually interchangeable with the 2CV one, so the adapter plate that I had already made did not need changing.

Points of interest in this pic are the mountings on the rear, the cut-outs in the bellhousing to clear the discs and the spacers on the driveshaft flanges, note that they are only spacers and not adapters, as the LNA version of this 'box(unlike the GS) has the same driveshaft bolt pattern as the 2CV.

May 21st, 2010, 1:10 am
Firing on two.

After having bought an engine of unknown condition and discovered that it could be made to fit, the question came up of how to make it run. Ever a fan of doing things on the cheap, it would have been relatively easy for me to make up a manifold and use a carburettor from a car of comparable power, similar to the 2CV layout.
The ignition however had me more stumped. I thought about trying to use the electronic ignition system from a 652 visa or mounting a distributor on top of the engine and driving it via a toothed belt from the crank pulley, or even a megaspark system (diy electronic ignition).

The standard management parts were just looking too expensive at the time for an engine that was still in unknown condition. However I finally decided that it was in for a penny, in for a pound and stumped up for the engine that you see in the pictures, it was a guaranteed runner and came with all the necessary electronic 'gubbins'.

May 21st, 2010, 1:42 am
Firing on two.

Fuel system. A low pressure pump mounted next to the tank supplies fuel to a swirl pot under the bonnet.

The swirl pot, mounted next to the battery, provides an uninterrupted supply of fuel to the high pressure pump, under the battery shelf. You'll notice that the standard engine is still in place at this stage, as much work as possible was carried out without taking the car off the road. It was infact driven to Spa last year with this in place, it was simply a question of re-routeing the fuel supply from the base of the swirl pot to the original engine mounted pump, and making sure the low pressure pump was running to keep the swirl pot topped up.

May 21st, 2010, 1:58 am
Firing on two.

you sir, are a genius.

May 21st, 2010, 3:18 am
Firing on two.

VERRY F#CKIN NICE!!! Love it!

I was just wondering about the cooling of the engine, is it enough?? or do you have to keep driving?

RESPECT!

greetzzzzzzzz

Rusty

May 21st, 2010, 3:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 54  Next