View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The mad mix 
Field Plougher

Post Re: The mad mix
Right last friday i went down the garden to find some nuts and bolts for the red 2cv and this was looking in a very sorry state covered in dust rust patches every where and the "tidy up" above didn't do much for it so i decided this week it needed some real attention. rust patches got rust killed.
Monday:
fog/driving/spot lights I dont know what to call them but i started with these, they'd been sitting in my bedroom since late last year, I started off thinking I'll just put them on the bar but soon began to think what if the look shit, so i didn't really want to drill holes in that or the roof. So I had some steel and an old barbecue and built a light bar which is way to heavy and overly strong for what it needs to be but it does the job. came to wiring them in and thought ahh poo no wires, no switches, no relay. I got 10m of wire thinking I'd over compensate for what I needed, but I used it all :shock: ok so i was being generous with it but still 10m of wiring :!: :!: got toggle switches and a relay too re read the topic i made in technical a while back to give me an idea of what I was going to do.
Turned out not to be as hard as expected it just took a while. when fiddling around under the bonnet i managed to get the electric fan working again still not quite sure how, think it was a loose connection.
Did some other minor things too. after this when my dad got home we were going to move it round to the front of the house, needed my dad to move the trailer with the volvo. the battery went dead just as I was starting it to move it (it had started first time with out fail all day) so had to bump start it. once round the front of the house I started to mess round with the rear fog light and eventually thought duck it i cant be arsed any more. I realised I'd been working on it for 12 hour :lol:

Tuesday:
Absolutely knackered woke up late, walked dog, it was now long past lunch time, I was in a lazy mood so I thought I'd paint the chassis and touch up the body put the ramps under diagonally opposing whee and tried to put it on in reverse in 2 wheel the front wheel with out the ramp screeched on the oil patch from where the red 2cv had been, still tired and slightly annoyed, slammed it into 4x4 and gunned it at the ramps and it went straight up. Happy.
as you can imagine with all the mud it gets dragged through the chassis is coated in crap despite multiple jet washes, so when underneath the car its best have goggles or something on your eyes couldn't find goggles so i took the light filter off the welding maskand used that instead i must have looked pretty stupid, painted the chassis in hamerite.
Touched up the body with a yellow that doesn't quite match but its amazing what a difference it makes! It looked a hell of a lot smarter, re painted both sills and below the number plate on the bonnet.
Today:
started early, Vreidesteins keep going flat. theres not alot of 4x4ing going on at the moment so it was tonka toy tyres on but that meant ducking around moving them from under the a body and propping the body back up.
Put them on they give a good 4 inch extra ride height, after lifting the body and putting these on you can imagine how my back felt. so it was time to mess around with the rear fog the inside was corroded and especially on the contacts so i re wired it and riveted new contacts on and messed around a bit with an earthing point and decided to just go straight to the chassis. thats now working, happy days. The next bit it would fail an MoT on would be the floor, it had come away from the toe board and the toe board had come away from the a panel, welder out, im not brilliant at welding well no Im shit at welding and I wasn't overly impressed with my repair, but under paint it appears to look ok which is good :D

Now some random images that mean nothing:

a range rover that i thought looked cool and might take some ideas from 8-)

July 21st, 2010, 5:58 pm
Firing on two.

Little Louis wrote:

Those tyres look fantastic. Can you actually steer withougt the fronts rubbing on the suspension arms, wings, chassis, engine, headlamp bar, bumper etc? :lol: Just good for going off road on roman roads? They do look the nuts though. 8-)

Are the wheels standard or 'banded rims'? What size are the tyres?

I was reading the posts of this guy on the French forum,

He had to re-route the swan neck through the interior with a length of flexible pipe in order to be able to turn left :? . Jeep tyres I think he said...

July 23rd, 2010, 12:15 am
Field Plougher

wheels rub on the arms normal wheels.
195 r15 don't know the height and I'll tell you in 2 weeks because tomorrow im going on holiday

July 23rd, 2010, 12:30 am
Firing on two.

[quote="Xmas
I was reading the posts of this guy on the French forum,

He had to re-route the swan neck through the interior with a length of flexible pipe in order to be able to turn left :? . Jeep tyres I think he said...[/quote]

That looks nice :)

July 23rd, 2010, 6:13 pm
lovin' the snatch

shame about the... shudder... beetle... indicators...

Keep Them Looking Standard.

1979 Myosotis Blue Dyane6
1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6
1989 Vert Bamboo 2cv6 D*lly (in bits)

July 23rd, 2010, 10:30 pm
Firing on two.

He's changed it a bit since then:

Still at least he hasn't got the cox front indicators anymore. :D

Or in fact any front indicators come to look at it. :lol:

I think the wheels are old 2cv wheels, 16", with the jeep tyres as I said.

July 23rd, 2010, 11:22 pm
Firing on two.

Xmas wrote:
I think the wheels are old 2cv wheels, 16", with the jeep tyres as I said.

Yeh, they're old ripple 400mm rims - you can see the slots.
400mm = 15.75"... 16" tyres'll fit, but I don't think I'd want to put too much hassle on 'em...

July 23rd, 2010, 11:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Field Plougher

Visa engine is Fuucked, so I'm going back to 602 cause visa's are poo, you know it's true, but I think it'd be good with a BMW. But I cant afford one so I'm going to try an get an engine in for crapadeuche, should be enough time as I've got a week off next week.

February 15th, 2011, 10:41 pm
Field Plougher

Oh yeah and I want more height and 2cv springs back on it.

February 15th, 2011, 10:43 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Little Louis wrote:
Visa engine is Fuucked, so I'm going back to 602 cause visa's are poo, you know it's true, but I think it'd be good with a BMW. But I cant afford one so I'm going to try an get an engine in for crapadeuche, should be enough time as I've got a week off next week.

Turbo it!!
Mark is coming over to have a look at it (he said)

Russ

February 16th, 2011, 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next