View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next
 Albert the AKS400 
Field Plougher

Post Re: Albert the AKS400
ken wrote:
Louis,
just out of interest, whereabouts on the trailer is the rust?

If it's on a part which could have been damaged or scratched, the surrounding undamaged areas will tend to slow down further corrosion.

The zinc is, after all, a sacrificial coating which will eventually be used up in protecting the mild steel underneath...

ken.

Little Louis wrote:
the galvanised trailer we have has rust on it.

the rust is in the front cross member part where I think grit has been flicked up. theres not alot but it makes look bit scruffy

July 22nd, 2010, 10:48 am
Firing on two.

Well I think I probably will end up painting the chassis, not so much out of protection or aesthetics, but just because I want to get some painting practice in!
I'm planning to paint the entire van myself, and have done virtually no spray painting before in my life...

It's not the actual spraying technique that is the problem, more the preparation and setting up. Last time I tried, the conundrum was how to transfer paint from a 3 gallon container, to the gun cup. Pouring? My shoes are still red...
Eventually dad's soup ladle came to the rescue (Splash it with some thinners, he'll never know! :lol: ) but it's all those problems that never occur to me beforehand :roll:

Anyway, we're going away for a bit (France, supposedly on holiday, but really to pick up some 2cv/mobylette components) The van is going back on the chassis and back under cover for then. The last crossmember is tacked in, hopefully I'll get it finished before we go.

I'm rather hoping that floors, sills, bulkhead, toeboard, a pillars/panels etc. will go a bit faster, as I already have the panels and don't need to fabricate them as I go along.

Thanks everyone - I'll get there in the end :D

July 22nd, 2010, 11:40 am
Field Plougher

I use a big funnel to transfer the paint.

July 22nd, 2010, 12:53 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Don't ask...

:lol:

ken

Little Louis wrote:
Some people have been known to use a big funnel to transfer the paint onto their shoes.

July 22nd, 2010, 1:08 pm
Firing on two.

Thinking I might re-visit engine / gearbox area soon. Bodyworks all very well, but crappy mig, in the wind and rain, on kit-kat wrapper is begging to get tedious.

I got this gasket set for my engine, most of which have been fitted (I think!) correctly, but there are a few mysteries. Can anyone shed some light on them?
(And I've lost the use of photoshop - having to make do with some free equivalent :( )

I guessed most of them just by the location of the holes. However the one labelled 'oil pump?' fits perfectly, but I'm not sure there is meant to be a gasket there, and there wasn't when I took it apart?
Just want to get the engine done and out of the way

July 22nd, 2010, 11:07 pm

Gas Mark 5,
Paper gasket should be fitted between the oil pump and crankcase, so check that the old one isn't stuck to the back of the flange.

Hexagonal paper gasket is for an older style oil pump. M4? Will know soon enough, as I've got three of them to pull apart.

Smallest rubber 'O' ring fits onto oil strainer stem, middling size probably for older type pump.

Larger copper washers are for drain/level plugs, definitely not spark plugs.

All for now, last orders soon... ;)

ken.

Gas Mark 5 wrote:
Thinking I might re-visit engine / gearbox area soon. Bodyworks all very well, but crappy mig, in the wind and rain, on kit-kat wrapper is begging to get tedious.

I got this gasket set for my engine, most of which have been fitted (I think!) correctly, but there are a few mysteries. Can anyone shed some light on them?
(And I've lost the use of photoshop - having to make do with some free equivalent :( )

I guessed most of them just by the location of the holes. However the one labelled 'oil pump?' fits perfectly, but I'm not sure there is meant to be a gasket there, and there wasn't when I took it apart?
Just want to get the engine done and out of the way

July 22nd, 2010, 11:31 pm
Firing on two.

Quote:
All for now, last orders soon... ;)

ken.

I think 'Ta very mooch' is the required phrase! :)

Almost ready for the big start-up... One more puzzlement though, (Last one, honest!) on the n/s head, both the intake and exhaust valve have two springs each, one inside the other. On the o/s head though, there is only one spring per valve. Is this some clever idea of Citroen's? Or has someone previously just forgotten them when rebuilding an engine? In which case - http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/valve-spr ... -1496.html - that wot I want?

August 11th, 2010, 11:17 am
Firing on two.

I'm fairly sure that somebody else must have changed a complete head at some point and not realised, I believe the valves are the same but you'll probably want to change the springs so that all of them are the same.

Of course, I may be wrong.

August 11th, 2010, 11:22 am

That cylinder head with 2 springs per valve is an earlier type.
The combined load from the 2 springs is equivalent to that of a single later spring, so I hope you haven't mixed the sets up if you've decoked the heads and ground in the valves.
I have a feeling that the lower cups for the double springs are also different from those for a single spring setup, but it's been a while since I've built one up...

ken

August 11th, 2010, 11:51 am
Firing on two.

Gas Mark 5 wrote:

:)

Middle o ring is for the oil filter carrier IIRC

no copper under the spark plugs, its sump filler plugs and oil press relief valve(IIRC) and oil press switch

big penny rubber washers were for rocker covers without the captive washers with the conical seat.

non "eyebrow" seals for the pushrod tube.

there was a period when double springs were fitted, the head will date from that period the single spring one will have been a replacement id guess

Sean

August 11th, 2010, 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next