View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 3:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
 Albert the AKS400 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Albert the AKS400
The bonus of not having the holes for air to route to the disc coolers is that all the cooled/fanned air will be cooling your engine, not a bad thing!

July 21st, 2010, 8:50 pm
Firing on two.

forgot to say...

GOOD EFFORT with the van! Well done.

A trick with the fan is next time you wrestle it off.. head down to wickes & get a length of re bar (reinforcing rod) that fits inside the starter handle hole.. re bar comes in all sizes (its threaded if youre looking for it).. if you get a super snug one then all you have to do is undo the bolt with a long 13mm socket, stick the bar in, waggle it up and down a couple of times and the fan will pop off! Obviously remembering to release the tension on the alternator belt.

The floors on the underside of the bamboo were zinc coated panels when I bought them (replacements), then stonechipped them (some bubbly paint stuff), painted them in bamboo green, then covered them in waxoil branded underseal. Bilt Hamber is also awesome stuff. I have a galvanised chassis too which I have yet to cover, I think this summer I shall get round to painting it with the clear waxoil just to keep it safe. Remember to only do this after dry warm weather though as you don't want to trap moisture under the waxoil/underseal...

Good luck, enjoy it

fritz

ps. underseal to the eye = not cool.. wear glasses!

July 21st, 2010, 8:59 pm
Firing on two.

I never bother releasing the tension on the alt belt, the fan goes on and off fine without doing so.

July 21st, 2010, 9:14 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

fritz,
isn't an estimated life of 'about' 60 years for a galvanized coating enough? :roll:

< http://www.hdg.org.uk/index.php?cms_id=335 >

Waxoyling a galvanized chassis to preserve it is akin to improving armour plating by wallpapering over it.

ken

fritz wrote:
f Bilt Hamber is also awesome stuff. I have a galvanised chassis too which I have yet to cover, I think this summer I shall get round to painting it with the clear waxoil just to keep it safe. Remember to only do this after dry warm weather though as you don't want to trap moisture under the waxoil/underseal...

fritz

Last edited by ken on July 21st, 2010, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 21st, 2010, 9:15 pm
Firing on two.

I'll be knocking on your door if there's a speck of rust at age 59.... :lol: :lol:

ken wrote:
fritz,
isn't an estimated life of 'about' 60 years for a galvanized coating not enough? :roll:

< http://www.hdg.org.uk/index.php?cms_id=335 >

Waxoyling a galvanized chassis to preserve it is akin to improving armour plating by wallpapering over it.

ken

fritz wrote:
f Bilt Hamber is also awesome stuff. I have a galvanised chassis too which I have yet to cover, I think this summer I shall get round to painting it with the clear waxoil just to keep it safe. Remember to only do this after dry warm weather though as you don't want to trap moisture under the waxoil/underseal...

fritz

July 21st, 2010, 9:40 pm
Field Plougher

the galvanised trailer we have has rust on it.

July 21st, 2010, 11:40 pm
Firing on two.

Little Louis wrote:

I must admit I tend to paint galvanised stuff; I just don't like the white powdery look of weathered galvanising.

July 21st, 2010, 11:55 pm

Louis,
just out of interest, whereabouts on the trailer is the rust?

If it's on a part which could have been damaged or scratched, the surrounding undamaged areas will tend to slow down further corrosion.

The zinc is, after all, a sacrificial coating which will eventually be used up in protecting the mild steel underneath...

ken.

Little Louis wrote:

July 22nd, 2010, 1:10 am

Painting over a galvanized finish is OK, just be patient and let it weather first... ;)

< http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... s%3Disch:1 >

twofifty AZU wrote:

I must admit I tend to paint galvanised stuff; I just don't like the white powdery look of weathered galvanising.

July 22nd, 2010, 1:17 am
Firing on two.

I don't always do it; only when I'm overcome by excessive fussiness :lol: It seems fine provided its given a coat of etch primer, but I'll readily admit it is an exercise in pointlessness.

ken wrote:
Painting over a galvanized finish is OK, just be patient and let it weather first... ;)

< http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... s%3Disch:1 >

twofifty AZU wrote:

July 22nd, 2010, 1:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next