View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 12:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Albert the AKS400 
Firing on two.

Post Albert the AKS400
Hello everyone,
I've just recently got into 2CV's, and after ages of fruitless ebay searching I came across this wonderful 1978 AKS400 on '2CVTV' and managed to persuade dad to drive however many hundreds of miles to pick it up (It needed trailering, and I'm only old enough to drive my mobylette, which might struggle to pull a deux chevaux...)
Liz and Steve, the people we brought it off were totally wonderful, and included tonnes of parts, so for the most part it's an assembly job, though there are some 'oles in the upper bulkhead/firewall/whatever it's called, bit of rot in the 'A pillars' and the 'lower rear crossmember' is barely clinging on...
I have sorted out one of the A pillars, but other than that I have never done any car bodywork before so I'll probably be asking for advice soon - I didn't put it in the repair section as I expect it will be one of those ongoing projects, it wont be long before something goes wrong!
It's living up in the garage, without electricity so major work is confined to free weekends and holidays etc. where I can bring it down outside the house, so don't expect quick progress!
for now though, if I've understood photobucket correctly, there should be some pictures :D
(Admittedly mostly sideways...)

And thanks to Neil from 2CVGB for telling me about this site. I decided between international2cvfriends, 2CVGB and a small mobylette forum which gave me a section for the 2cv I should be able to get him fixed!
Thanks

George

January 9th, 2010, 8:37 pm
super slot

Post Re: Albert the AKS400
Hey George, Good to see you here. Looks like you are doing some great work on the van. Keep plugging away!

January 9th, 2010, 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
super slot

George, i've just rearranged your pictures to make it a little more user friendly! ;)

January 9th, 2010, 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Welcome!
The work on the a-pillar looks rather good for a beginner!

Enjoy it here, and with your car ;)

We have here a Solex-thread, but your mobylette is welcome there:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1048

January 9th, 2010, 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Wow!
I wasn't expecting replies that quick ;)
Thanks Neil, I'm terrible at formatting all these things :roll:
A Solex thread as well! You have everything here. Solexes and mobylettes are fairly close friends aren't they? I've got another mobylette awaiting restoration as well :oops:

Just for working out costs, after fitting this could I reuse the panel behind it or will I need a new one?

January 9th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Field Plougher

Gas Mark 5 wrote:
so don't expect quick progress!

:lol: dont worry about that work too fast and you'll get bored, good luck with it.

January 9th, 2010, 9:34 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

George,
won't it depend on the condition of the rear panel?
On this aks400, it was possible to reuse it, as it was one of the few areas of the van which hadn't had filler trowelled over it during a 'chassis change and rebuild' job... :roll:

< http://www.flickr.com/photos/30132857@N06/4259572169/ >
&
< http://www.flickr.com/photos/30132857@N06/4259572729/ >

ken.

Gas Mark 5 wrote:
Just for working out costs, after fitting this could I reuse the panel behind it or will I need a new one?

January 9th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Firing on two.

Phew!
That panel is fine, from the description "Use part 520080 to repair outer part and this kit to repair box section inside" I assumed the outer part would need to be replaced, but if not that saves me £60!
Thanks

2cv4x4 wrote:
Gas Mark 5 wrote:
so don't expect quick progress!

:lol: dont worry about that work too fast and you'll get bored, good luck with it.

If I ever get bored with this project please make me see sense! I started making a balsa wood plane years and years ago, and got bored of that project, it's still sitting on the desk haunting me every time I look at it - I never want that to happen again :cry:

January 10th, 2010, 4:46 pm
Field Plougher

I meant that if you finnish too fast you'll wounder what to do because all your other weekends/ holidays were taken up by a project

January 10th, 2010, 5:27 pm
Firing on two.

:lol:
I've no shortage of projects to pass the time!

January 10th, 2010, 7:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next