View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Albert the AKS400 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Albert the AKS400
samfieldhouse wrote:
Are you around tomorrow George I'm in Canterbury all weekend if you fancy a drink?

Whoops, sorry Sam, only just noticed this! What were you doing in Canterbury? I'm there most weekends if you find yourself in that neck of the woods again. You know where I live! :mrgreen:

January 18th, 2016, 9:58 am
Firing on two.

Whoa, what a great read. I'm much inspired! It was so worth sacrificing my mock GCSE revision and I now know that I really need to get a van one day! I am inspired and ready to tackle my 2CV saloon 8-)

January 18th, 2016, 9:44 pm
Firing on two.

I work there sometimes, will let you know when next I'm about :)

January 19th, 2016, 3:39 pm
Firing on two.

Time for a slight update?

Decided it was time the carb had a proper service, it had started sticking on half throttle at traffic lights when the engine was warm, very embarrassing. The spindle was slightly twisted, I just straightened it by hand as best I could, seems fine now. I did however find a spring in one side of the float chamber, and a matching ball on the other

The remains of the float valve, its absence doesn't actually seem to have adversely affected it, but I replaced the valve just the same.

I also discovered why my van leaks quite so much

I have a new seal, but the vent flap currently on there isn't actually a proper vent flap I've just noticed - it's a bit of steel glued to a bit of rubber, no crimp fitting or anything. I have another lurking around somewhere, so it will be good to get that sorted.

Of marginally more concern, I decided to strip the engine down a little, as it has started burning oil. I think the barrels / pistons are past their prime, carbon is actually starting to build up in the wear ridge above the top ring now. At 230,000 miles or so I think this is perhaps only to be expected. ECAS don't seem to stock 602cc 8.5:1 kits, only 9.0:1. I know the higher compression can exacerbate pinking problems if the timing is not set correctly, but other than that are there any issues with using them? And is there any advantage of the higher priced Bretille kits?

George

May 29th, 2016, 8:44 pm
Firing on two.

Spoke to Roy and have gone for the 9.0:1 kit, will hopefully fit them next week. While fixing stuff, I decided to fit a new guide ring bush to the steering rack that has been a little slack for years. That side of things is fine, however the top pinion bearing is a little crusty. The bottom needle bearing is fine, but I'll replace the ball bearing that sits immediately under the slotted nut / seal. Does anyone know the dimensions of this bearing off the top of their head? I forgot to take my verniers with me, and now it's locked in a barn I don't have access to until next week :roll:. I can't find it listed individually on any 2cv parts site either.

June 2nd, 2016, 6:00 pm
Firing on two.

Needs this

http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/steering- ... -1553.html
or
http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/steering- ... -2107.html

Add grease nipples 1 for the pinion 1 for the top bearing
Attachment:
DSC03357.jpg
DSC03357.jpg [ 246.92 KiB | Viewed 5087 times ]

June 2nd, 2016, 7:56 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks for that Pete, I have a stash of grease nipples ready to stick everywhere :)
Does the lower grease point on your picture there cover both the needle bearing and the pinion?

Is the top bearing not separable from the pinion? I don't have access to the parts at the moment to check, the pinion itself is in good condition, the teeth and splines are fine, but the bearing is a bit rumbly. I was hoping to just replace that.

June 2nd, 2016, 8:17 pm
Firing on two.

The lower grease nipple only the serves the pinion.
The needle roller may get some overspill, but mine never seem that bad.
The pinion/bearing are combined the inner race is the pinion shaft.
If the bearing is noisy its on the way out.

June 2nd, 2016, 9:20 pm
Firing on two.

Never had issues with pinking on all the 9:1 Pistons I've fitted - probably need a slightly larger main jet but otherwise just enjoy the increase in power!

1966 Ami Break

June 2nd, 2016, 9:45 pm
Firing on two.

I will do a more thorough update when I have a spare 5 minutes, just a quick query for now though while it's not raining and I have some time to work on the van. Putting the rack back together with new balls, cups, pinion, bearings seals and a plethora of grease nipples etc. If I wind the castle nut that tensions the rack slider far in enough to line up with the split pin hole, it is very notchy, I can barely turn it by hand. Winding out a few more turns and the rack feels lovely, but the castle nut was definitely much further in before. I don't really want to just drill a new hole to make the split pin line up as it feels like there is something amiss. Has anyone encountered this before? The pinion is new, the rack is the original.

July 7th, 2016, 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next