View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 4:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 1975 2cv 
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Post Re: 1975 2cv
Ben,
the heavy earth lead should be connected to one of the studs on the gearbox lid.

If it isn't, because the engine and gearbox mounts provide electrical isolation, the circuit for the starter current could be running via the brake pipes, handbrake cables or whatever route it can find... :shock:

The short earth cable to the body, close to the battery, sometimes fares rather badly if the main cable isn't connected, mind you.

Didn't most 2CVs with alternators have 3 pin plugs for connection of their regulators?

ken

meshking wrote:
One other thing I noticed was that the handbrake lever wasn't connected and was resting against the gearbox - when cranking over I got loads of sparks between handbrake lever and drumbrake. Have I missed an earth lead somewhere?

I was surprised to see that the voltage regulator connector has a multiplug connector, which fitted straight onto a solidstate lucas regulator I had kicking about. Or perhaps this means that the car has had a replacement wiring harness at some point in it's life.

March 7th, 2010, 11:07 pm
Firing on two.

:oops:

hmm - I think I need a tin of paint to start marking the nuts and bolts I haven't tightened. I had to undo that nut to get the air filter back on. Retightened, no more sparks! :D

No fuel arriving at pump though - is there a nice way to prime the pump?

Ben

March 8th, 2010, 12:22 pm
Firing on two.

It runs! Sorted the air leak in the fuel pipe and it started right up. Now I've got to take the manifold off, because I didn't think it would all work again so well and I've not got the tinwear fitted.

Once small oil drip from the offside cylinder head oil feed, I didn't renew the brass washers, I'll do this before I go any further.

Plus point is I found that cassis do the spring connector and rod connection bits for the accelerator... one step nearer!

March 15th, 2010, 3:32 pm
Firing on two.

I have started to use the braided oil feed pipes ecas sell as a matter of course, I find the standard pipes break too easily.

March 15th, 2010, 7:47 pm
Firing on two.

Cheers for the tip Russ - I'll see about ordering some next time I pop an order in.

I've managed to lose the rear half of my wiring loom. Seeing as it's only 5 wires (at a guess), would it be easier just to buy some wire and make my own? Any ideas what gauge wire I should be using?

No need for a foglight, since the car is too old to require one, so just indicator x 2, brake (single?) tail (single?) and fuel sender. How hard can it be? :D

March 27th, 2010, 8:03 pm
Firing on two.

Fitted the front wings, so I though why not the bonnet too?

As it stands currently:

March 27th, 2010, 10:36 pm
lovin' the snatch

how fit is that!!!

major levels of want!

Keep Them Looking Standard.

1979 Myosotis Blue Dyane6
1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6
1989 Vert Bamboo 2cv6 D*lly (in bits)

March 27th, 2010, 10:50 pm
Firing on two.

Quick update - work stopped due to builders inconsiderately wanting access through the garage to build our new extension. The cheek of it!

Back to work on this - engine put back together properly with correct torque settings on the wrench, wiring all hooked up - indicators and lights all round.

Took it for a spin up the road and back today - seems to go and stop as it should - didn't get much past 2nd gear though...

Got *another* package arriving from ECAS soon, so might even be ready for an MOT early next week. The underside has been sealed and schutzed, so hopefully the rust bug won't bite again too soon. Once it's MOT'd then it'll be a rolling resto until I can get a weekend free to spray it. That's unlikely to happen in the near future though, so I might turn up to some events next year in harlequin mode.

September 29th, 2010, 4:54 pm
super slot

Nice work! Good luck with the MOT - i'm sure it'll be fine. Looking forward to some pictutes! ;)

Is it going to be the original Beige (vanneau)?

September 29th, 2010, 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Yup, AC 083 vanneau beige is the plan. Couldn't get the right hood colour though, so I went for a burgundy as you can see in the photo above.

I'll try and get some photos next time I drive it out - promise! But it does look exactly as above...

September 29th, 2010, 5:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next