View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Thoughts on........ 
Firing on two.

Post Thoughts on........
There seems to be quite a bit of chatter online about the future of old/classic/vintage cars and the possibilities of converting to full electric (EV). I love the sound and feel of the 2CV flat-twin and would never want to go down that route myself, but I think there is another option that could improve the car in the eyes of the greenies and improve the driving experience. What's the forum's thoughts on fitting a Belt Integrated Starter Generator, and would there be space under the bonnet to fit one in place of the original alternator? There's also the little matter of finding one on the market that would work for a 2CV. Your (honest) thoughts gentlemen, please.

July 12th, 2020, 7:43 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Thoughts on........
No dimensions but looks big https://www.motorauthority.com/news/110 ... rid-system

July 12th, 2020, 7:58 pm
Firing on two.

Just found this via a quick search ..... https://www.seg-automotive.com/boost-re ... n-machines

July 12th, 2020, 9:48 pm
Firing on two.

who knows but were do you put the 4 batteries? That's a lot of weight to carry around. Wouldn't it use more fuel? I think fuel injection wouldn't be bad too.

July 29th, 2020, 6:57 pm

I built an electric 2CV in 1999. It worked quite well and had a 45 mile (gentle driving) range. The only downside was the 250kg of lead acid batteries. Things are much better nowadays and with enough money it would be quite possible to build an electric version with a 200 mile range and pure electric is much simpler than any hybrid in my opinion so I wouldn't even think about hybrids.

Steve

August 3rd, 2020, 9:28 am
Firing on two.

AZL57 wrote:
who knows but were do you put the 4 batteries? That's a lot of weight to carry around. Wouldn't it use more fuel? I think fuel injection wouldn't be bad too.

Injection is another useful tool in the box to help our little engines, definitely. I really don't think a couple of batteries will increase weight enough to cause an issue. My 2CV sits on an after-market galvanised chassis and there is no bottom plate in place, so the batteries could very easily be housed there and have a plate fitted to protect them. My understanding of the system I've highlighted is that it's capable of providing more power to help the engine drag the car up inclines, which is definitely a weakness for the little flat-twin. There's also a suggestion that the system helps to reduce fuel consumption, which is one of the reasons it was developed.

sbarnes wrote:
I built an electric 2CV in 1999. It worked quite well and had a 45 mile (gentle driving) range. The only downside was the 250kg of lead acid batteries. Things are much better nowadays and with enough money it would be quite possible to build an electric version with a 200 mile range and pure electric is much simpler than any hybrid in my opinion so I wouldn't even think about hybrids.

Steve

I get what you mean but as I said in my original post I love the experience of driving the 2CV which derives a lot of its character fron the engine and gearbox, and I don't ever want to replace them with an electric-drive. An Electric DS/ID/H-Van would be perfect, as the engine isn't exactly characterful. I'm open to improving the stock ingredients with something additional, like fuel injection and/or hybridisation, but if those options were not open to me then I'll happily stick with the M28 engine as it is. 8-)

August 3rd, 2020, 3:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]