View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 1:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Dome light wiring 
Firing on two.

Post Dome light wiring
So I got my 2CV out of storage yesterday. Why so long? I've been mucking about with my 77 MGB for about a month. I've got my cars packed in my garage like sardines.

For some reason the courtesy light will not work. It was working back in the fall. Like something has happened to it over the winter. Rat chewed a wire?

This is a LHD car by the way.

I bought a couple of these 4' LED light strips and plan on mounting one on the support beam behind my head for better lighting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Waterproof- ... SwWxNYxs19

I'm getting 6 volts at the light when I earth my meter directly to the battery. So there much be a bad connection something. I can't seem to trace this wire down to where it originates without removing the felt covering above the windows. Which I don't care to do, just hate removing it if not necessary and having to glue it back on.

Does this green wire going to the overhead light end up in the boot? I thought the wire may run down the door pillar then under the door.

I thought about just running some speaker wire to this light strip and using the rear fog light toggle switch to turn it on and off. That way I won't forget to leave it on. It will only work when the park lights are on.

Trouble is there is not really anyway to conceal wiring on a 2CV because there are not many cavities on the car!

Rear fog lights are not required in the US and the light didn't work when I got the car so I removed it from the bumper. I thought it looked ugly.

I was driving down the road in the rain one day (no fog at all) and A-hole was driving a fairly new Land Rover with their rear fog light on and it was almost blinding.

May 25th, 2019, 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Dome light wiring
I'm not aware of 2cv having a courtesy light!

May 25th, 2019, 12:40 am
Firing on two.

Check if your brake lights are working or not. If they aren't working then it'll be one of the fuses on the bulkhead/firewall under the bonnet/hood. Happened to me two weeks ago. You'll likely find the brake warning light on the dashboard is also not working (same fuse).

May 25th, 2019, 3:43 pm
Firing on two.

Most of the cars, and traffic, is LHD...

Most of the wiring colours on that era 2CV are green...

No any wire is routed at floor, or under door...

The wire you have mentioned, what ends near rear seat, is propably the fuel sender wire...

As mentioned, check the fuse what feeds the brake light. There is a crimp connection on wiring loom, what may became a bad connection, but not so common failure...

The switch on the light itself, isn't reliable. Expecially when used only now and then but mostly without use...

The electrics on 2CV isn't a rocket science, at any part of it... :roll:

May 25th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Firing on two.

Roger V wrote:
I'm not aware of 2cv having a courtesy light!

Sorry I've been so fixated on my MGB, I have tunnel vision. A courtesy light is a small light mounted in the radio console on convertibles like an MGB or Fiat 124 Spider without a fixed roof.

I meant to say dome light but I believe the British call a dome light something else but I don't know what it's called. You could call it an overhead light, inside roof light?

May 25th, 2019, 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I wasn't aware they had any interior lighting!

May 25th, 2019, 4:31 pm
Firing on two.

Jonathan wrote:
Check if your brake lights are working or not. If they aren't working then it'll be one of the fuses on the bulkhead/firewall under the bonnet/hood. Happened to me two weeks ago. You'll likely find the brake warning light on the dashboard is also not working (same fuse).

I'll check but I can't figure how why I'm getting 6 volts at the wire going to the light when I ground my meter directly to the battery. That tells me somewhere along the line I've got a bad connection.

BTW, my brake light warning light socket has fell into the back of the housing. It stopped working one day when I pressed the test button. I thought the bulb had blown so I tried to replace the bulb and the socket fell back into the shroud.

I've been meaning to relocate some of these indicator lights above these two lights (oil pressure and brake warning) like the main beam and turn signal bulbs. Just drill two holes the same size.

Not to get off the main subject but I tried pulling the instrument cluster off this car to do the above, but something is holding me up. The surround only comes off so far. Something to the right of the shroud/surround needs to be disconnected but I can't figure out what it is.

I removed the screws holding the speedometer housing to the shroud. I'm not sure if the speedometer housing and the shroud needs to come off in one unit.

I thought perhaps it was the tubing going to the windscreen washer pump.

The other thing I have not tried is to disconnect the speedometer cable from the gearbox. Is that my problem?

May 25th, 2019, 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Unscrew the speedometer cable from the back of the speedometer.

May 25th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Firing on two.

jasu wrote:
Most of the cars, and traffic, is LHD...

Most of the wiring colours on that era 2CV are green...

No any wire is routed at floor, or under door...

The wire you have mentioned, what ends near rear seat, is probably the fuel sender wire...

As mentioned, check the fuse what feeds the brake light. There is a crimp connection on wiring loom, what may became a bad connection, but not so common failure...

The switch on the light itself, isn't reliable. Especially when used only now and then but mostly without use...

The electrics on 2CV isn't a rocket science, at any part of it... :roll:

I know it's any easy fix. Just a matter of tracking down each connection and figuring out where this wire ends up. I've got a wiring diagram I need to consult.

I don't know if this is factory or something the previous owner did but when I open the rear driver's side door, there is a wiring loom with a single green wire. I believe this wire goes to the rear fog lamp. But could go to the sending unit as you mentioned.

My concern is the overhead light wire could be shorting out against something causing the voltage drop. I've never seen a voltage drop that bad (50%) just from a bad connection. Besides the light was working last fall but I will check to see if the brake lights work.

One day I was driving down the road and decided to test my horn (I have no idea why) but I noticed that the headlights dimmed but the horn would not blow.

Further investigation showed that the horn wire was grounding against the exhaust manifold. But was not blowing the fuse!

May 25th, 2019, 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Roger V wrote:
Unscrew the speedometer cable from the back of the speedometer.

Thanks!

May 25th, 2019, 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next