View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 10:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Over Restoring and what you lose in the process. 
Firing on two.

Post Over Restoring and what you lose in the process.
http://2cvco.canalblog.com/archives/201 ... 15949.html
I preferred it's 'as found' look, the finished project looks like another vehicle to me.

January 28th, 2018, 9:38 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Over Restoring and what you lose in the process.
I agree - it goes further than that though.

I'm quite literally throwing together my project car. I'm not using anything new (aside form brake pipes) - you see so many £10-20k rebuilds and what'd the point.

Give me a slightly mucky M7 anyway, I'm not buying new ones.

January 28th, 2018, 10:03 pm
2CV Fan

I like the 2cv. We're only on our second one. First one we owned for 10 years and second one we've had for 10 years this year. As much as I like them I wouldn't pay 5 or 6K, which seems to be a common price for a restored one. Our current 1975 model has been tax free for the last couple of years and I was totally amazed to learn that it won't need an MoT in 2019. Just like my early days of motoring when driving without road tax wasn't a capital offence and you could see the road through the floor and not worry about speed cameras!
Don

January 29th, 2018, 10:55 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Yet another one with the gearbox mount fitted back to front... :roll:

rob massey55 wrote:
http://2cvco.canalblog.com/archives/2014/10/22/30815949.html
I preferred it's 'as found' look, the finished project looks like another vehicle to me.

January 29th, 2018, 2:15 pm
Firing on two.

Lovely chassis paint job though!
I couldn't imagine having a car that I'd take off the road for the Winter, although I'd like to keep my 2cv under a roof so it doesn't absorb quite so much of this soft Welsh rain :) . Daisy's scrapping her Pug 106 this weekend, to make some room for when the van escapes from the tent. That'll mean the 2cv will be getting more exercise which is a flamin'good thing I reckon.

January 29th, 2018, 7:44 pm
Firing on two.

This one is over-patinated though :) . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1959-Citroen ... SwMGVabM2S

January 29th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Firing on two.

And if you do throw a heap of money at such car at least put some proper Michelin tyres on it...

January 31st, 2018, 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Perhaps the money ran out :roll: .

January 31st, 2018, 8:31 pm
Firing on two.

samfieldhouse wrote:
I'm quite literally throwing together my project car. I'm not using anything new (aside form brake pipes) - you see so many £10-20k rebuilds and what'd the point.

The "point" is that it is hard to find a good car this days. And if you (I ...) find one that is good enough to restore than you do it right. Prices of rolling project cars went into the sky... cheap ones are in terrible shape. So, I take worst possible cheape car and tur it into something that will last for next 15 - 20 years. Once in life time of the car you will go to restore body and chassis. So, why not new panels as it is all available now. New wings, much beter choise than old repaired. New doors ? I am sceptical about that, but if you cant find rust free old ones than new is an option. Paint job is not cheap. And it is not just throwing paint on car, it is also when it is proper done a protection to metal below. With good chemical protection of inside, outside and cavitation body, chassis and outside panels will last for a long time. Talking about other mechanical parts and stuff that is attached on and in the car. If some original part work for last 40 - 50 years than check it and use it if it is OK. New parts only what is necessary... generaly, breaks and brake lines. Good spare parts is esential for engine to run (hard to find...). Tyres ? Michelin if car will stand in garage. Looks good on Michelin tyres. But if you want to drive it daily, use normal tyres as like Michelin it will worn down or gone old and you will have to buy new set... Michelin is too expensive to buy new sets every 3-4 years.

With good restored car you can drive and not thinking always when you goes somewhere what will be wrong. If it is done right than only thing what can go wrong is something that is 40 - 50 years old. And that is normal to me.

February 20th, 2018, 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

samfieldhouse wrote:
.......I'm quite literally throwing together my project car...... Give me a slightly mucky M7 anyway, I'm not buying new ones.

If you're LITERALLY throwing it together, you won't need any M7s or any other kind of fixings will you Sam? Just good aim and accurate throwing techniques, (and perhaps some good contact adhesive).

February 20th, 2018, 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next