View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Withdrawal symptoms... 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Withdrawal symptoms...
Yeah, I had to laugh, but long journeys gave me a proper headache. My stereo is loud, but it had serious competition!

December 22nd, 2016, 10:25 am
Firing on two.

I've no complaints about noise in my 2CV ....40 years working in heavy industry has left me with minor hearing impairment ....I do like my stereo on loud though. :lol:
T.

C1 UrbanRide[Blue & Orange] {Ltd Ed}

December 22nd, 2016, 11:21 am
Firing on two.

turbofiat124 wrote:
I did not give as much for my 2CV as what this car went for on Ebay but that's about what they are going for in the US:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Citroen-2C ... true&rt=nc

I just noticed something. The car is a 1985 model but has an earlier style speedometer. Must be a "ringer" like mine!

No, this is not old speedo, it is new version of older one what been on some (Club, Special?) models. Those small speedos are a few different versions, depending on age, manufacturer (of speedo), model etc...

Also those "new version" what I think you are referring, big ones, they appeared on late 60's...

December 22nd, 2016, 12:13 pm
Firing on two.

I like the big ones.

December 22nd, 2016, 12:14 pm
Firing on two.

1980s 2CVs had small speedo fitted to the Special and the D*lly, which was based on the Special (nothing special about the Special, was just the base model), the larger speedo was fitted to the Club and the Charleston, which was based on the Club. My 1988 built 2CV has the small speedo, and I far prefer that to the large version. It's more in keeping with the character of the car, IMO.

Interesting to finally see 1980s 2CVs actually being advertised as 1980s 2CVs in the States. Long overdue.

December 25th, 2016, 12:45 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Tempus transit? :)

Jonathan wrote:
Interesting to finally see 1980s 2CVs actually being advertised as 1980s 2CVs in the States. Long overdue.

December 25th, 2016, 12:57 am
Firing on two.

Was the D*lly version a "full hatchback" with a hard top? Or did it have a roll back top like mine but a taller hatch?

Like I mentioned before my 2CV is registered as a 71 model but has all the characteristics as a later model. It's got the large speedometer which I like, only in kilometers. I thought about swapping it out for a UK version that reads in MPH but after driving my Trabant 601 for over four years I pretty much know how fast I am going.

December 26th, 2016, 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Every 2CV car is an open-top. Apart from an ENAC conversion in the 1960s, the only hatchback option was a factory/dealer fitted type supplied in the 1980s. Wasn't particularly popular by the look of things. I do have one fitted to my car though, as it makes for easier access from the boot.

December 26th, 2016, 5:01 pm
Firing on two.

Jonathan wrote:
Every 2CV car is an open-top. Apart from an ENAC conversion in the 1960s, the only hatchback option was a factory/dealer fitted type supplied in the 1980s. Wasn't particularly popular by the look of things. I do have one fitted to my car though, as it makes for easier access from the boot.

A fellow Trabant owner in Norway who has a Dayne sent me some photos of a 72 model to compare to and mine is clearly not a 72 model. But what's interesting is it has an aftermarket fiberglass top (Comfortop?).

http://m.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=82637949

It has the large speedometer but a different font.

The interesting thing is it has an 8 track player! I didn't know 8 tracks were all that popular outside North America.

I have an extensive collection of 8 tracks I've restored and vintage stereos I pick up at the local Bric a brac and donation to charity stores.

December 27th, 2016, 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Ianredspecial wrote:
I used aluminium tubing like that for mine. It was warmer, but the noise was mental! Honestly, it was like having two engine trumpets coming directly into the cab.

I got some sound deadening material and glued it to the inside of the tubes, but it was still extremely noisy.
Suddenly the reason for them using the cardboard foam tubes was apparent. Lol.

After yesterday's experiment with my Trabant, I don't think I'm even going to attempt using the aluminum ducting on my 2CV!

I realize this does not have anything to do with my 2CV but does involve some "air cooled/heater" content.

I made a somewhat successful attempt at bumping the air velocity up on my Trabant which is also air cooled.

With the Trabant there is this large pipe and elbow that connects to the heat exchanger with a 3.25"/83mm inlet and outlet, then a short hose that connects from that to the diverter at the bulkhead. Inside this pipe is a screen with some material between it and this pipe that functions as a silencer. Where on the 2CV, the foam inside the cardboard tubes dampens the noise. I did not realize how much noise this device dampens.

So Saturday I used these silicone turbo hoses to mount a 4" in-line blower.

I also rigged up one of those temperature probes in one of the defogger vents to monitor the temperature coming from one of the defogger vents.

The result:

The noise was horrendous! It sounded like all the engine noise was being dumped into the cabin! The air flow had definitely improved. It was 41F/5C Saturday and cloudy. Ordinarily I'd have to wear a coat to stay comfortably but could have taken it off. The temperature coming out of the vents was 140F/60C. I did not test the temperature before adding the blower fan.

This car also has two 2"/50mm tubes that pumps air into the system from fan. One hose is mounted to the engine shroud and feeds air directly into the heat exchanger. Like the 2CV.

The other hose is inside the engine shroud connects to a shield around the exhaust manifold and pumps air into the baffle. I'm not sure why both hoses don't feed directly into the heat exchanger.

I'm using this 3" brake cooler blower mounted after the baffle at the moment. I can't tell that it does much while going down the road but it definitely puts out more air at tick over. No more engine noise but the fan is still quite noisy.

But someone on the Trabant forums mounted one in the short hose and it melted on them!

If room permits, I'm going to fit try to fit the 3" blower between the cold air duct behind the grill and force air directly into the heat exchanger (see the long hose that runs from the grill to the diverter). That way the fan doesn't get hot.

Here's the question. If I have a 4"/100mm blower and I'm trying to force air through a 2"/50mm hole in the heat exchanger, is that the same as using a 2"/50mm blower because I have reduced the inlet. I'm thinking this would act as a restricter.

So in other words, the actual inside diameter of the heating system is roughly the same size (3.25"/83mm). So maybe using the 3"/76mm fan would do the same thing?

Actually I could pull the heat exchanger off the car and enlarge the hole to 4" and weld a 4" inlet to feed more air into it.

January 1st, 2017, 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next