View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Withdrawal symptoms... 
Firing on two.

Post Withdrawal symptoms...
Well the cold rains have set in here in East Tennessee. No snow as of yet. But as usual it's been cloudy for quite some time which always makes me grumpy, lethargic and lazy this time of year. I've got the winter time blahs..

I guess that's nature's way of survival when people used to have to forage for food to survive. So the more time you are sleeping and laying around the less calories you will burn off during the winter when food is not that available.

I'd rather not get my 2CV or my other classics out in this nasty weather. Plus I don't have allot of body fat to keep me warm so I am a woos when it comes driving my air cooled 2CV and Trabant in the winter. But as long as it's a sunny day, I can stay comfortable.

I like my Subaru Ute but would rather be driving one of my other cars instead.

Can't wait until March so I can roll the top back on the 2CV (or Fiat 124 Spider) and basque in the sun while driving and sweat running off my forehead in 35C weather come summer...

Anybody else having withdrawal symptoms?

December 21st, 2016, 5:05 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Withdrawal symptoms...
Not me, they are awesome in the winter. Fantastic snow cars.

I have got a hot water bottle and a blanket though.... My heater leaks a little fumes so it stays off for now.

December 21st, 2016, 9:53 am
Firing on two.

Ianredspecial wrote:
Not me, they are awesome in the winter. Fantastic snow cars.

I have got a hot water bottle and a blanket though.... My heater leaks a little fumes so it stays off for now.

This wasn't always the case...

Years ago my first car was a 1981 Honda Prelude. I was going to tech school and had to drive 25 miles (50 miles round trip). At some point the heater stopped working (just blew out cold air). I think the heater core was clogged. At the time I did not do much wrenching. This was my only car, I didn't have much money so I just repaired what I considered necessary.

I used to carry a blanket with me and a coat and I still froze!

On days that it was particular frigid like well below 0C, mom would let me drive her '85 Chevrolet Cavalier (looked like a Vauxhall Cavalier) to school. Then when she traded it in on 1986 BMW 3 series she wouldn't let me drive it because she was afraid it would get a door ding in the parking lot!

December 21st, 2016, 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Yeah 200 miles in mine with coat, gloves, blanket and hot water bottle, and I still get a bit chilly. Lol :)

December 21st, 2016, 10:59 am
Firing on two.

A 2CV [or Dyane] with a good heater is actually quite a cosy place to be on a cold day ....the heater in my 2CV also emits a unique smell [no, its not exhaust gases from a leaky cylinder head, its more "warm oil & cardboard"] which I find homely & comforting.
I never wear a jacket/coat whilst I'm driving and I find it a source of amusement that drivers of modern "Euroboxes" have to wrap themselves up as though they're actually outside in the cold weather [whats wrong them? .....dont the heaters work in some of these modern cars?].
I must admit though, that I do get withdrawal symptoms, because my 2CV is only used on dry winter days, as hosing the [road] salt from underneath & out of the wheel arches on a regular basis is too much trouble these days.
T.

C1 UrbanRide[Blue & Orange] {Ltd Ed}

December 21st, 2016, 11:49 am
Firing on two.

Yeah I always wonder that too Terry - and I often see them going down the motorway with condensation pouring down the windows. Very fussy about that myself, as I like to look out of my windows actually :)

Agreed on the cosy, I put new heater boxes with almost no rust on mine a while ago and the heat is awesome - just mixed with fumes, lol.

Also, I've always been impressed how it'll even melt ice off the back window, perhaps due to the hoopy shape of the car the air goes up past the windscreen and does its thing at the rear.
Also, the hollow front seats seem to trap warm air from the floor outlet and it makes them snug.

I'm told its freezing in the back though..

I love the smell of the heater, yeah I think its the tubes, and its very nostalgic for me too.

December 21st, 2016, 12:36 pm
Firing on two.

the 57 is running well in winter, i repaired the tube so my windscreen is demisting very good now. In my landrover i had the heater never on in the winter because it'wouldn't heat up properly on the short drives i made. The condense did even block up the engine breather with ice. :mrgreen:

December 21st, 2016, 11:09 pm
Firing on two.

2CVs are rare over here in the United States. So I consider my 2CV "special". I also paid probably paid more for the car than it's worth but like I've always said, a car is like a diamond ring, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I did not give as much for my 2CV as what this car went for on Ebay but that's about what they are going for in the US:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Citroen-2C ... true&rt=nc

I just noticed something. The car is a 1985 model but has an earlier style speedometer. Must be a "ringer" like mine!

A rusty one just sold for $4,000 the other day.

I got collector car insurance insured for the value of the car so really I'm not supposed to drive it to work but there is not much traffic at 6 am and our parking lot is not a public lot and we have never had a car even as much as broken into in the 25 years I've worked here.

My boss who is from France told me it would take him almost 2 hours to drive to work the same distance as it takes 10 minutes here!

My only concern driving the car after dark is the deer population. Worldwide mosquitoes are the deadliest animal but in the United States deer kills more people in auto collisions than any other animals combined (dogs, bears, cougars, etc.)

As far as heat is concerned. Just like my Trabant, the heat coming from the vents seems to be sufficient , it's just the velocity is not much.

It looks like some of the foam rubber insulation in passenger side cardboard tubes is deteriorated and may be leaking a bit. I know you can buy new ones but I ordered this 3" aluminum ducting intended to go on clothes dryers I think will look cool:

I'm going to seal around the edges with foam weatherstripping and mount those 2 Burton's fans in the two main tubes.

I tested one of these fans in my Trabant and it didn't blow was hard as I thought it would. I suppose that's why they say to mount it in the tube going to the windscreen demister.

One problem I have with my 2CV is in the mornings, the inside of the windscreen will fog up and I have to let the car tickover at fast speed for about 10 minutes before it's safe to drive. I've tried various anti-fog sprays and spectacle wipes to prevent this but none of them seem to work. Wiping the windscreen with a rag seems to help somewhat but not as good as warm air.

December 22nd, 2016, 2:40 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I used aluminium tubing like that for mine. It was warmer, but the noise was mental! Honestly, it was like having two engine trumpets coming directly into the cab.

I got some sound deadening material and glued it to the inside of the tubes, but it was still extremely noisy.
Suddenly the reason for them using the cardboard foam tubes was apparent. Lol.

December 22nd, 2016, 8:12 am
Firing on two.

Ianredspecial wrote:
I used aluminium tubing like that for mine. It was warmer, but the noise was mental! Honestly, it was like having two engine trumpets coming directly into the cab.

I got some sound deadening material and glued it to the inside of the tubes, but it was still extremely noisy.
Suddenly the reason for them using the cardboard foam tubes was apparent. Lol.

I got to wondering if the foam liner was there to baffle the noise. I may end up going back to the original cardboard liners!

December 22nd, 2016, 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next