View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Non Ethanol Fuel in the UK 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Non Ethanol Fuel in the UK
From my understanding a car fitted with a catalytic converter removes carbon monoxide from the exhaust, along with a certain degree of carbon dioxide. The level of CO that is removed has made suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning almost a thing of the past. You can't rig up a hosepipe into the car and expect the same effect as was once the case. As regards CO2 and plant growth..You would expect rapid plant colonisation of many environments, but unfortunately humanity is ripping down the rain-forests and building ever greater cities throughout the world, so the plants you would expect to grow and thrive on higher levels of CO2 are just not there. As a consequence of that the increasing amounts of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is not being naturally removed, so is ever increasing. Don't forget that the burning of fossil fuels is adding to present day natural levels, plus man-made levels that has been increasing since the start of the industrial revolution in the 18th century, and those increases are not sustainable, no matter how we look at it. We all know that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and ever increasing amounts being unnaturally released into the atmosphere is causing environmental issues. We have two options. 1 Carbon capture. 2 Renewable energy sources. The video I posted above is a good point of reference. Orkney produces a surplus of power, and all of that is generated by renewables. :) I'm going to stop now. :lol:

February 3rd, 2017, 8:00 pm
Firing on two.

We're doomed captain mainwaring!

1966 Ami Break

February 3rd, 2017, 9:24 pm
Firing on two.

Jonathan wrote:
I think you can make a very clear difference between pollution created by burning ethanol sourced from crops, and petrol that is sourced from fossil fuel. Ethanol that's burnt to power engines will release CO2 into the atmosphere, just like regular petrol, but the CO2 that is released had been recently captured during the growth of the crop in the field. Petrol releasing the same volume of CO2 is adding to the volume already there. So burning ethanol is certainly more environmentally sound, because the CO2 released will be recaptured during the following growing season. Fossil fuels are releasing CO2 that has been locked away for millions of years, so it's adding to the present natural levels in the environment. :geek:

This was great info, definitely learnt something in this thread. I'd never thought of this angle.

February 3rd, 2017, 11:49 pm
Firing on two.

Quote:
This was great info, definitely learnt something in this thread. I'd never thought of this angle.

+1

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

February 4th, 2017, 5:29 pm
Firing on two.

Bart wrote:
Guys, E5 or E10 is not a problem. I have ran those fuels for about 100000 km in D, NL and S now and did not have any ethanol in fuel related issue, nor did I hear of any other than "it is very bad & eats your fuel hoses + carburetor" kind of pub talk, never real examples!

I have not had any issues with E10 either. My 1998 Chevrolet van was built before E10 and I use E10 in it all the time.

I've ran E10 in my Citroen since I've had it. I've been running E10 in my old Fiats and everything else for ages with no problems.

I have been using non ethanol fuel in my lawnmowers and my Trabant because these have gravity feed fuel systems. The theory was that any moisture in the air will attach itself to the alcohol and sink to the bottom.

On car with a fuel pump, the fuel would quickly eventually get agitated.

Well one fall I forgot to top the fuel tank off on my riding mower before putting it up for the season and next spring, I made a few laps around the yard when it started sputtering. Long story short, I guess water had condensed in the tank and sunk to the bottom and blinded the fuel filter over and wouldn't let petrol pass through it. Once the filter dried out, it was OK to reuse. So I guess using 100% gasoline in that regard was all for naught. Since gasoline floats on water regardless of the alcohol content.

I remember when I was in the UK around 2000, allot of my Fiat buddies were concerned about leaded fuel being phased out. They had done away with leaded fuel about 20 years prior in the US. I even brought a US spec "unleaded" SOHC Fiat cylinder head all the way to Scotland for this one guy in my luggage!

I think he told me after pulling the valves out, he found no difference in heads other than the combustion chamber size (because US spec Fiats ran an 8.5:1 C/R as opposed to the Euro spec running 9.5:1)

This so called "valve recession" that would occur due to lack of hardened valve seats must have been a myth because I've never actually head of this happened on any car designed to run on leaded fuel. If anything lead cokes up the valves on engines.

Considering that Amoco (now BP/Amoco) had been selling unleaded fuel for decades before lead was taken off the market. Promoting their anti-knock additives did not coke up engines like other companies fuels using lead.

The real concern over here in the US is bio-diesel that is mixed in with diesel fuel. They say the lack of sulfur in modern road diesel fuel is really hard on injector pumps on older diesels.

This one guy I worked with made his own bio-diesel from waste veggie oil he got from a Chinese restaurant. He had a 200? VW Jetta and the engine on that thing would make a "death rattle" on cold mornings. It sounded worse than my Trabant! I don't know if his homemade fuel stuffed his engine or it had issues to begin with.

July 11th, 2017, 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I emailed Esso to check their premium fuel was still ethanol free. I suspected they'd gone to 5% but apparently not. Here's their reply if anyone finds it useful.

"Esso Synergy Supreme+ is ethanol free (except in North of England, North Wales, Scotland, Devon and Cornwall) and we have no current intention to add ethanol to Synergy Supreme+ in other areas of the UK.

We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up North of England, North Wales, Scotland, Devon and Cornwall."

December 7th, 2021, 8:45 pm
Firing on two.

So if you have visited those areas you can't come home?? ;-)

December 7th, 2021, 11:00 pm
Firing on two.

I have to fill up in Devon to get home. I usually use premium fuel but there was a stupid panic buying petrol shortage so I had to put supermarket basic E10 fuel in last time. Was OK apart from seemed to make the car pink (predetonate) under load, I think.
I put Redex in the tank before the 200 mile drive home, seemed to help.

When I get home I'm in a place I can buy the ethanol free so I make sure to fill up with that soon after I get home. But my cars are usually long distance use only so I don't want the ethanol sitting in the tank.

December 7th, 2021, 11:23 pm
Firing on two.

I'm beginning to think it's all scare stories. My 2CV was left sitting unused from the second week of September until last week. It had E10 sitting in the tank without any additives. It started within a minute of cranking (the fuel line was empty). I had also neglected to disconnect the battery when it went into storage 3 months ago and it still had enough oomph to crank the starter and fire up the engine. Once it was running it ran sweet as a nut and I kept pace with a 2016 Discovery from Leominster back to Worcester.

December 8th, 2021, 2:47 pm
Firing on two.

All my cars are running on e10. They are parked sometimes a half year or more and i have had no problem with starting yet. The old models have their idle jet blocked now and then, for the rest i don't having any troubles.

December 8th, 2021, 10:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next