View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:03 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 YOUR FORUM NEEDS YOU 
Firing on two.

Post Re: YOUR FORUM NEEDS YOU
This:

knightley wrote:
As forums in general seem to be being overtaken by newer kids on the block (bookface etc.) and activity on this one appears to be dwindling maybe it's time to let it slip away into the annals of history.

If nobody wants to run it (haven't had a deluge of proactive interested parties yet) then just saying it has to be kept won't do any good.

Joolz wrote:
Has to be kept, there're 7 years of 'stuff' here, some of it useful, interesting, and informative. Would be a real shame to lose it. Over that time I personally must have spent days rambling on about my car. And there are other threads on here I'd like to be able to access for reference in the future. I'd be happy to contribute to the funds, but also wouldn't have a problem if it had adverts.

If you put all this info on 2cvgb then you'd have to pay to see it and you may as well not bother. Car clubs who hold helpful information to ransom like 2cvgb are only going to go one way in the future. Also, I think 2cvgb are dickheads, but it's not my show anymore...

Jacqueslemac wrote:

If only the 2CVGB forum was as easy to use as this one, there might not be a need for it and all the data could be exported from here to there.

October 13th, 2015, 3:24 pm
Firing on two.

Like Joolz, I think it would be a great shame if the site did die out. Sadly I'm afraid I don't have the time to dedicate to the financial side, which I think is really all we're lacking?

Whatever happens, I'd like to say thankyou to Russ and the others for providing us with this place for so long!

October 13th, 2015, 7:29 pm
Firing on two.

Luke wrote:
Like Joolz, I think it would be a great shame if the site did die out. Sadly I'm afraid I don't have the time to dedicate to the financial side, which I think is really all we're lacking?

Whatever happens, I'd like to say thankyou to Russ and the others for providing us with this place for so long!

I can only support this post.
I don't have time, nor the knowledge to keep internetional2cvfriends going , but I really would miss it.
So I hope some one out there is able and willing to keep it alive .

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

October 13th, 2015, 9:49 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

So this is the reason why I don't do post at this forum anymore...

I'm really not sure if the websideholder (domain-owner) wants to continue the website..

After the first messages 2 month ago from Russel I pm-med the domain holder to here his opinion. Sadly this pm is never read up ubtill this day of .over 2 monhts ago I sent the pm.now I guess...

I offered Russel to take over the site (paying the bills), with the only concession that I then want to be the domain-owner too. Otherwise I'm only paying somebody elses fees, which I don't want...

Here is the latest pm I sent too Russel. When somebody wants to read all the pm's I made between several administrators then sent me a pm and I sent it to you..

No please don't get me wrong; I really don't want to throw with mud here, but I don;t think the administrators and or owners of this present time don't want the site to survive... sorry my opinion...

heres my latest pm to Russ... never got an answer after that...

Quote:

Message history - Re: Possible site closure

Author

lpgo

Message subject: Re: Possible site closure

Folder: Sent messages

Russel what I mean, did you talk to Adrian that a backup is made on weekly basis (to a place outside this domain). This is very important when you want to continue the site if it is going down at this spot..

If this is done you can always take the site life again at another www. adress...

Are you talking to other persons and is anyone willing to take your position over????

Again; I would/will (financialy) take over but only if I'm the owner of the domain or a new domain..... I will never finance Neil (I've never seen him or have a chat with him so no connection and after not answering my pm I don't want to meet him either I guess....

Geo.

So after that I can't bring it up anymore to do updates on a regular bases of my projects..
Sorry, Geo........ :? :?

Russ

October 13th, 2015, 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
Aircooled Idiot

It would be a dramatic loss to loosenthis sites. Ive met some great people through it. However the site is dieing.

The hilux forum has gone the same way. The facebook sight has 8000 members with posts every few minutes, whereas the forum has one or two posts a day.

I dont think this is as simple as paying the bills as geo says. We need a head to do this. Again the hilux forum is owned by someone who pays it all and owns it all we contribute £15 a year or more if we feel we want too, which i think is only fair..

I think the problem is geo, that the current owners / domain owners have moved on. They probably dont want any hassle hence the lack of replys. Neil is not in a good place at the moment. He hasnt logged on since june 1st so wont have seen a pm

Ive no idea how it would be possible to archive the vast expanse of information on here. Id happily be part of the admin, but cant run it. I work 7 days a week so ive really no time.

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

October 14th, 2015, 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Perhaps if Russell et al could give us an idea of the cost of hosting and the time involved in running this site, we could all make a better informed decision as to wheather we could take it on, or not, as the case may be.

Last edited by Chris2cv on October 14th, 2015, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 14th, 2015, 8:10 am
Firing on two.

I think it's very much worth keeping, I found the other 2cv club quite snobby in the end and left, I was well chuffed when I found this one.

If I had more time I would help with the running, but I'm already a mod on a couple of forums.

The donate button via PayPal seems a good idea, as well as a kitty at meets. Or do like up and coming bands do, sell their albums/tracks but payment is optional and the amount up to the buyer.

October 14th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Hi,
I not often using this forum, but since I'm interested in 2cv also outside my own country/club, this is my 1.st place to look for international info. So if it's disappearing, I guess I have to google-translate a whole lot of other forums to find the same info elsewhere. FB may be useful in some areas when it's about what happens right in the moment and a couple of minutes ago (But I don't use FB anyway..).

So I don't know what would be a good idea other that I would like this forum to exist in the future :)

Sincerly,
Per from Norway

October 14th, 2015, 1:21 pm
Firing on two.

Pains me to say this, but judging by Geo's latest post it looks as if the ownership of the site can't be discussed, let alone negotiated (for whatever reason)... in which case the site's a dead duck. Excuse the feeble pun.

In which case maybe someone should just start up an i2cvf2 site, or start an i2cvf FB page and see how that goes. Might be useful if this site could just be archived for 12 months or something, so that useful topics could be copied and maybe put up on, say, a Wordpress site or something (they're free) for reference.

If the site is dead or dying, it would be useful to have some time for us to swap email addresses or FB page details or whatever so that ties can be maintained. Also, maybe if Russ or Neil could give a finishing date for the site then it would give us a chance to get our sh!t in order before the final shutdown.

The tips and info I've found on this site have made it the most useful website I've ever used. The relaxed atmosphere and willingness of others to share has been fantastic.

A great shame that the site's collected wisdom looks like it will just disappear into the ether, but worse things happen at sea, I suppose.

October 14th, 2015, 4:54 pm
Firing on two.

my email adress is at the bottom of my original post.

October 14th, 2015, 5:12 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next