View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 2:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Matts Soft Tops Roof - Moisture.. 
Firing on two.

Post Matts Soft Tops Roof - Moisture..
I'm sure a load of us have these roofs? I love mine. I've got a bit of moisture coming in the stitch lines though. (Mine is chequered so it has many stitched panels.) It could actually just be condensation but I cant make my mind up.
I've just treated it uber thoroughly a few weeks ago with water proofer after a heavy cleaning as it was all mouldy.

Do any other Matts Soft Top owners get any condensation or moisture on their roofs?

The trouble is that i wouldn't know normally, I've usually got my thermal liner up there so I never see the roof directly.

December 30th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Matts Soft Tops Roof - Moisture..
Yup loads of it. Don't know if it's a leak or just that I've not proofed it...

December 31st, 2014, 1:27 am
Firing on two.

I rang Matt after I posted and he wondered like me if it was condensation. Is yours a plain roof or stitched much on the top?

I think I over cleaned mine so he suggested tent seam sealer on all my stitch lines. But if you're getting it and your roof is a plain one, I bet it's just condensation.

December 31st, 2014, 9:32 am
Firing on two.

It is very plain & grey. I get the impression that it is leaking a bit round the rear, car has an ENAC hatchback conversion & the roof is external fastned which may be putting strain on the stitching. It's also rather slack, centre fastners 'chatter' in sidewinds (took me ages to work out what it was), almost to the extent that water pools on it. And as I say I've not proofed it in 2 years. In winter car is constantly damp inside (wiper spindels, poss. roof leak) leading to condensation on rear window (which drips on rear seat back) & inside of roof.
Been rather more pressing problems to deal with recently so I'm ignoring this....

December 31st, 2014, 1:35 pm
Firing on two.

The canvas itself is meant to be kind of plastic backed, its really thin I think so you don't really see it. So the proofing is meant more to make sure water doesn't make the canvas go mouldy when it sits there in the canvas against the plastic backing. And where there is stitching the proofing is meant to guard against water coming in.

Thats the trouble though isn't it, all the damp could just be condensation. Mine only seems to leak when its frosty, but thats when there is lots of condensation too.

I proofed mine in the kitchen and I absolutely soaked it. So it should be ok really. I might just stick the thermal liner back up there and be done with it until the summer.

I just didn't want the seats to get wet again - I took the roof off for a few days to clean it and proof it, the car was covered but the seats were soaking when I took the cover off so I've had to dry them indoors for ages.

December 31st, 2014, 3:07 pm
Firing on two.

Never had any moisture in mine, and it's 13yrs old now.

January 14th, 2015, 11:34 pm
Firing on two.

What do you use to clean Matt's hoods with? I've never had one before, but I think I'm going to be getting (a very dirty) one in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

January 15th, 2015, 11:23 am
Firing on two.

You can get special cleaner for soft tops. I used one from Fabsil I think. It didn't cut the mustard though cos of bad mould, so I used a detergent called G850. It would need good proofing with Fabsil or a Nikwax waterproofer afterwards.

Strong power washer is what you need, I used that too, if you're lucky that might work on its own.

January 20th, 2015, 12:41 pm
Firing on two.

Many thanks

January 20th, 2015, 1:50 pm
Firing on two.

They've got an info sheet on their website actually. Or you can call them. Matt steers away from detergents I think because they treat the seams with silicone when they make the roof. But its fine if you are going to reproof it.

I'm ignoring mine until summer now, I put the thermal liner back up and its very cosy :)

January 23rd, 2015, 12:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next