View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 6:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 3975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389 ... 398  Next
 What did you do with your A Series today? 
Firing on two.

Post Re: �What did you do with your A Series today?
My experience with the 2CV fuelled by mechanical pump and my 1932 Morris Minor with an electric S.U. fuel pump is that the Minor starts immediately in this hot weather, while the 2CV takes quite a bit longer. This is especially so after a good run, so hot under the bonnet of both cars, and they're left for a good few minutes, say during refuelling. I'm guessing the petrol in the carburettor must evaporate so the mechanical pump has to draw fresh petrol during the starting procedure. The electric pump works before you energise the starter motor, so there's petrol already in the float bowl.

July 20th, 2021, 8:33 pm
Firing on two.

Electric can be better, because it will pump fuel up as soon as you turn the ignition on. The pump on the old engine was getting tired, and I wanted to easily switch between petrol and lpg. Back on mechanical now :)

July 20th, 2021, 8:51 pm
Firing on two.

Understood Roger. Another potential reliability problem though I suppose. The electric pums on my other cars are incredibly high quality, but its another area to troubleshoot in case of problems on those.

Clever idea as a way of switching to LPG though. I imagine your LPG economy on this car would be quite amusing! Given how economical they can be anyway.

August 19th, 2021, 3:01 pm
Firing on two.

I've ordered a pair of Michelins for the front of my Deuche. I am pretty posh now, obviously! never in my life have I owned a pair of Michelin tyres, so I am very excited to see how the car rides on them after they arrive. The price was pretty frightening, but then a pair of Toyos wasn't really that much cheaper so I thought what the hell.

I normally do the Toyos and I like them just fine, they are quite fun and squealy, but do go hard after time, as tyres do. The car has started crashing over bumps horribly because of the hard tyres.
I'll put my front ones which are a bit hard but with great tread, on the back, and the new Michelin on the front. I am not at all a fan of mixing tyres normally, but needs must on this occasion. If they're really good I might buy some for the back.

I always have the passenger rear wear on the outside because I drive it at maxiumum everywhere and roundabouts are lots of fun. So I'll bung those or keep the better one for the spare wheel.

August 19th, 2021, 3:07 pm
Firing on two.

My 2CV has been in storage most of this year at a friend's home garage around 32 miles away. Today I popped over in my 1932 Minor and swapped them around so I can give the Morris a well-earned rest (it's done 2,700 faultless miles since Christmas), and get the Deuche ready for its MOT in early September (I expect a big fail :( ). I'll be retrieving the Minor in mid-Sept. to attend Pre-War Prescott (historic hill climb and home of the Bugatti Owners Club) down in the Cotswolds. I've got the old gal booked for a run up the hill. That'll be fun :shock: :lol:

August 20th, 2021, 10:27 pm
Firing on two.

I've had a lovely day of pottering on the Deuche. Just general fannying around really, I took the wings off to clean inside and out, polished up the triangle pieces while they were off.
Greased the knife rod edges. Looked at the steering mechanism and track rod parts because theres a bit of a clank. I think its where the connection on the steering column where it joins the steering rack got loose once, rode up and down a bit on the splines and now doesn't tighten as well as it should.
Painted various underbelly bits and bumper brackets with lovely Bilt Hamber rustproofing stuff.
Put back on these awesome door pockets I bought years ago off ebay made of fibreglass. I love them, but the passenger one fell off ages ago and the driver sone was dangling. Used some nice stainless coachbolts this time instead of screws. They really transform the useable long journey cubby space in the car.
Wire brushed all the connectors on the bulkhead wiring and tightened the female ends with pliers. Cleaned the fuse terminals.
Very satisfying day really.
Took it for a quick drive, still a very slight clank, I've done up that connector as much as it will go before it strips. It seemed much better though.

August 22nd, 2021, 9:23 pm
Firing on two.

Oh my gosh the Michelin feel amazing. But they're new tyres so that's normal. Once they've bedded in I'll be excited to have some roundabout fun and see what they're like.

So nice to have that amazing ride quality back. It's absolutely ruined with hard tyres.

August 24th, 2021, 6:10 pm
Firing on two.

They are great. A friend worn a set down in 1500 kms. Driving like an idiot of course.

August 24th, 2021, 6:19 pm
Firing on two.

Oh that's funny. I do drive this car at maximum speed everywhere. We shall see, haha.

August 24th, 2021, 7:57 pm
Firing on two.

Well a lot of cornering very fast with slipping wheels, charged with 5 people etc.

August 24th, 2021, 10:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389 ... 398  Next