View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354 ... 398  Next
 What did you do with your A Series today? 
Firing on two.

Post Re: What did you do with your A Series today?
Hi 2CY
A tip a professional gave me regarding blemishes and shaping.
Spay on a light coat of a colour (a mask) other than that of the wing. Black is common. Rub back with a block and this will show the high and low spots as the mask is rubbed down. Try it with a can of acrylic as this will interact with other other types of paint.
Its easier to see the effect than it is to explain.

Probably to much catylst used and the heat caused the distortion. ;)

Looking good. :D

February 18th, 2017, 11:07 am
2CV Fan

^ Thanks for the tip

no.., lack of catalyst ..so the gel was not cured before the laminate was applied. Have to say I've done the same mistake myself :oops: ..happens in extremely cold weather too ..and when there's a breeze over the mould (evaporating the catalyst before it reacts).

The thing is ..we all make mistakes now and then. And it's usually best to deal with it professionally ...rather than to waste time and materials in producing something that isn't fit to sell. The remedial action in this scenario is to paint the soggy gel over with neat catalyst and then to apply just a single layer of fibreglass mat (of normal catalyst mix). Trapped under the glass layer - the catalyst will cure most of the gelcoat. The grp mat will then aid getting the gel out of the mould. And then scrap that panel. :ugeek:

Anyways up... moving on with what we have.

needs a bit of tweaking too..
Attachment:
P1230684s.jpg
P1230684s.jpg [ 102.2 KiB | Viewed 3426 times ]

Attachment:
P1230694s.jpg
P1230694s.jpg [ 99.58 KiB | Viewed 3426 times ]

Attachment:
P1230696as.jpg
P1230696as.jpg [ 95.3 KiB | Viewed 3426 times ]

February 19th, 2017, 12:11 am
Firing on two.

Had a blast out to our shed in Richards Castle today to sort out a plumbing issue - back with the roof off - 60 miles in February can't be bad! Monstered a few slow cars into speeding up but why is it people in really brilliant handling Fords drive like tits round bends then speed up to unrealistic 2CV overtaking speeds on the first available straight rather than let you pass them? Still nothing changes after 40 years of driving an A series!

1966 Ami Break

February 19th, 2017, 8:01 pm
Firing on two.

Installed supercharger back to my 4x4 Dyane. Didn't have time enough (too dark etc), to change the processor of MS but couldn't resist to test drive. With engine tuned without supercharger, it behaved quite well, the power what got lost when the supercharger was removed, was still there...

Waiting to have engine settings back, and then enjoy driving at sideways...

February 19th, 2017, 9:52 pm
Firing on two.

Seems it's been over three weeks since I last had the 2CV out. I did look to start it the other day but the battery was flat. I've now charged it up and I'm going to pop out to the garage and get the old girl started. I really must look at buying a new battery, as this one no longer holds the charge. It tends to go flat if left more than a few days. Easy enough to replace on mainland UK, but not quite so simple way up here.

February 26th, 2017, 12:52 pm
Firing on two.

It may be worth checking the connection and to see if the alternator is putting out charge. Also the regulator connections. Not forgetting the earth.
I've bought a new battery before, to find when I fit and check stuff on installing, that it was a bad connection.

However, we do tend to know our own vehicles. :D

February 26th, 2017, 1:07 pm
Firing on two.

Can't help but think you could be right, to be honest. When I connected the battery to the charger it was showing as half charged, yet when it was in the car it wouldn't power anything really. Only took a few hours to get it back up to fully charged, so I'm wondering if it could be a poor earth or other connection.

I've been out and returned just in time. Just started to rain. Starter motor and engine were spinning strongly with a fully charged battery, but it took a good minute or more to get fuel up from the tank, and get the engine running. All well once it was. Probably be another 3 weeks before I manage another run. :lol:

February 26th, 2017, 2:36 pm
Firing on two.

Replaced the accident damaged rear wing with the one I got from Alan Rogers and used a bit of Mr Isopons finest to fill in a hole in the rear horn - then changed the front shockers for some of the new Burton ones - I'll report back on these in the next few weeks once they stop salting the roads.......

1966 Ami Break

February 26th, 2017, 3:02 pm
Firing on two.

Took the rear bumper off the 57 to try to rebend it a bit in shape after the new years accident. On removing i did see the back of the body was bend too :evil:
But i managed to reform it but some paint did flake off. As i was busy anyway i did grease kingpins and drive shafts before the rain set in. When laying under the car to detach the bumper i could have a good look at the underside. It looked like new, not any trace of driving through 3 winters with salty roads....The Mike Sanders Fett treatment seems to do it's job very well. 8-)
When i looked over to my mothers C3 i did see she had a flat tyre...a screw was sticking in it, so more work :|

February 28th, 2017, 8:25 pm
Firing on two.

We have some snow on the ground. And after that photo, we have more snow, and my Dyane was covered much more...

After we came back home, I was thinking how could I get that Dyane out of the snow, without shovel, tractor or something else. But still went to try, started like summer (like Megasquirt a lot) and only needed to put reverse gear on and drive off the parking slot...

No change with only front wheel drive, tried that, but with 4x4 hadn't even wheelspin. As you can see, I drove some times on my slot, to have those snow piles get lower...

A supercharged 4x4 Dyane, brilliant car for winter..! Only need to build, hydraulic suspension...

March 4th, 2017, 10:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354 ... 398  Next