View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Discovering France from our 2CV 

Post Discovering France from our 2CV
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I recently acquired a 2cv6 Special. We do not know much about the car but we are really excited to join the club and also very motivated to learn more about the car's history and how it works. Let us start off by introducing our car!

We currently live in Luxembourg but we have a summer home in Burgundy (which is where we found the car). We believe it is a 1990 or 89. Not sure how to tell which year it was made. Any ideas?

We have not driven it much but we did do some maintenance. First thing we did was put some seat belts in the back... then we put a new exhaust system on which turned out to be a great move because the car really sounds great now. Originally it was a bit noisy. Also when ordering the parts we spoke with someone at Méhari-2CV Club Cassis and they advised us to get a new distributor because the car would turn a lot before starting. Since the work the car really runs great.

We took the car for a spin today through the country side. Beautiful sunny day in France. So we decided to put the top back. We got it unclipped, it opens from the inside, and started to roll it back. Once it was at the back we were a bit stuck as to how to secure it. We just left it rolled up and it did ok for about 30 minutes. How are we suppose to secure the roof when it is rolled all the way back?

Then we put it halfway back on to the middle bar and secured it. Our side clips seem like they need to be replaced.

The car reads 15,000 KM so I am unsure it that means, 15k or 115 k. Anyone know how these counters work?

As I told the guy who suggested to replace distributer the car originally would turn over many times before firing up. We havnt driven it too much since then but it seems to be starting right up now. Other than that the engine seems fine. Actually we drove the car to Luxembourg at the end of last year and just this week drove it back down to Burgundy. Thats around 400 kms each way and the car made the trip no problem. We drove around 90 kms most of the way. I was a bit scared to drive over 100 kms for such a distance. Do you have any experience driving long distances? Whats the best speed to cruze at?

When we have the car in the garage over the winter there was some oil dripping off of the pannel that is under the engine. Should this concern us? We keep a close eye on the oil level and it has not dramatically dropped. We actually only topped it up before the trip down to Burgundy a couple days ago. Anyway, I'll show you a couple shots of the engine...

What do you think? Does it look good? Anything interesting? Anything look like it needs some attention?

We are really trying to read as much as we can to learn about the car and the engine, how it operates, etc. But we do not have any experience or knowledge about cars. We would love if someone would give us some advice about general maintenance. What we can do to keep the car happy, etc.

Most importantly, we want to say hello to everyone on the forum and that we look forward to getting to know you all!

May 14th, 2012, 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Discovering France from our 2CV
Welcome to the forum.You have a lovely car.I think that white really looks good.Not sure of the year,but I am sure that someone will be along soon to tell you.This is a great forum to be on,there are lots of posts for you to read on maintanence etc.Or,if you need to know anything,just ask.Thats the beauty of tghe forum,someone will either know the answer or can put you in touch with someone who can help you.(did that make sense :| )
One thing we all love on here are pictures,so keep them coming and happy 2cving :D

May 14th, 2012, 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

It's in beautiful condition- thanks for sharing. Unless it has been rebuilt every possibility the the 15K is correct!

Are you sure that it's a Spécial? It looks more like a "Club" to me.

As far as the year goes, the model year (année modèle) is stencilled on the bulkhead in a circle, e.g. AM 88 would mean it's a 1988 car.

If you wanted to know for sure you need the ORGA number which is a 4 digit number by your vin plate. You can then feed it into this calculator http://www.cats-citroen.net/citroen/organumber.html and you can find your car's birthday!

May 14th, 2012, 8:12 pm

Thanks for the welcome Dave 411. We look forward to getting more connected with everyone and sharing our 2cving experiences and pictures! We really love photographing so we should be able to put up some good ones. We really think the white looks sharp too.

Ouvrier, the car has only had three owners (including my wife) and based on my discussion with the previous owner it has not been rebuilt. I think it looks like its in great condition but I have not seen too many 2CVs up close. I believe it is a special because thats how it is marked on the back, but I suppose that could have just been added. How would I find out?

Thanks as well for the advice on the "birthday calculator". Our car (ORGA 4844) was born on February 12, 1990. I guess that really makes it a baby still!

May 14th, 2012, 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

nicholasharbour wrote:
I believe it is a special because thats how it is marked on the back, but I suppose that could have just been added. How would I find out

Special: bench in front, round headlights, small speedometer, round headlamps, no hubcaps, bigger doorcards, roof can be opend from the outside of the car..

Welcome to the forum!
Are there many 2cv's in Luxemburg?

May 14th, 2012, 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

That car looks great!!

This forum is the perfect place for you to find out more about your car, and 2CV maintenance and repair. Just follow the general banter - you'll pick up loads of info.

You might like to start here, with the novice's buying guide (helps you to get an idea of where things go bad on these cars): http://www.international2cvfriends.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3883 although it doesn't look as if any of it will apply to your excellent-looking vehicle.

With regard to securing your roof:
Inside the car, near the back windows and just below the roof, you'll find two straps, one on each side of the vehicle. They're held in place by press-studs. On both sides, pop the front of the strap off, then feed it between the steel tube that runs from side to side of your roof (the one you have your hand on in the pic above) and the roof itself. Next, pop the available press-stud onto the stud on the outside of the roof (the one that's visible in your pic). Voila! The roof is secure.

Have fun!

May 14th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Hi Tom Duckpower! Luxembourg has a lot of interesting cars and actually a guy down the street from us has one. I know there is a 2cv club in Luxembourg and actually we just missed a ride with them on May 1st. We see more when we are in Burgundy but the condition of the 2cvs in Luxembourg are really great compared.

Thanks for the advice and link Smiffy. I read through and the only problem area I can think of on our car (that I can see) is by the rear doors were we screwed in the seat belts. It's starting to rust and bubble up. What can we do to stop or fix this?

Regarding the roof straps, its strange because inside of the car in the back we only have a couple hooks. I believe those hooks are for the seat belts. To hold them when not in use. I looked a bit online and found these...

http://www.mehari-2cv-spare.co.uk/tarpa ... 00400.html

I suppose that is what you are talking about. Would I be able to install them fairly easily myself? Do you have a photograph of how it looks inside the car?

Thanks for the welcome!

May 14th, 2012, 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Welcome Nicholas,

That's a beautiful and original looking car you've got there! The roof fixings are easy enough to sort, it's raining now but I will pop out and take some pictures of mine when I get a chance, unless somebody else can?

It looks to me, that your car is probably unrestored and that the mileage is probably original.

Great to see the pictures of it out in France, thanks for posting them.

Regarding the inner wings, looking at them I would suggest you had some new metal welded in by a good 2cv restorer. I wouldnt change the whole panel on a car that original. If that's all that's wrong with it then you've done very well!

2cvs don't have a distributor, maybe there's a small translation error? hot starting problems are usually solved with resetting the tappets or a new coil. A good service wouldn't hurt, as if it's only done a very low mileage it may not have seen too much mechanical attention.

It's always worth meeting your local 2cv club if you're new new the cars, you'll uncover a wealth of information there.

Nice registration too!

May 14th, 2012, 9:17 pm
2CV Fan

Looking again, I think that it is a Spécial- although as Tom Duckpower illustrated the equipment differed from market to market!

Re the hood straps- assuming you've got the press-studs there, they'll be easy to fit (and yes, those are the parts you're looking for).

Found this:http://www.2cvsrus.com/restoration/user_manual/pages_e/page_e19.htm

It might be useful to you...

May 14th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Nice to meet you Russell. Thanks for the tips. We will have to meet with the 2cv club here in France. That will be great fun for us and we will probably be able to find someone through them to do the welding on the inner wings. Thanks for putting up some photos of how to secure the roof straps, I will order them and should be putting them in by the end of the week. Strange though that it doesn't have them. Will the screw in somewhere? On the frame or?

Regarding the distributor, would rotor make more sense? The guy told me it would help with starting the car.

The registration is really unique and totally random. We went to pick up the plates and that just happened to be the combination they gave us. Awesome!

May 14th, 2012, 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next