View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 2:10 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Why "D*lly" ? 
Firing on two.

Post Why "D*lly" ?
Why do you write "D*lly" instead of... the name of a cloned sheep?

Is it a black thing?

:D

November 15th, 2011, 10:17 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Why "D*lly" ?
http://www.international2cvfriends.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3237&hilit=D*lly

I think the name is somehow threatening the masculinity of some people ;)
Nothing wrong with the cars, but the name isn't the best....

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

November 16th, 2011, 1:48 am
Firing on two.

Thanx!

8-)

November 16th, 2011, 8:17 am
Firing on two.

It's actually the inbuilt 'smut' filter. For some reason the americans who wrote this particular one think that D*lly is either offensive or rude. I actually typed D*lly, but it comes out as D*lly.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

November 16th, 2011, 8:02 pm
super slot

knightley wrote:
It's actually the inbuilt 'smut' filter. For some reason the americans who wrote this particular one think that D*lly is either offensive or rude.

It's actually there because we put it there, but the term D*lly is fairly offensive.

November 16th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

In that case your signature says it all 8-)

"cliquey elitist nonsense"

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

November 16th, 2011, 8:35 pm
Firing on two.

@ but the term D*lly is fairly offensive.

Please explain, via a link if its that offensive.

November 16th, 2011, 8:59 pm
Firing on two.

This comes up every so often, I might actually write a disclaimer somewhere explaining it as a sticky. Not that it needs explaining. 'D*lly', is a stupid name for a car, and thanks to this one daft name given to one special edition, in the eyes of Joe public the name D*lly seems to have been tagged onto anything A series shaped. I've even had people look at my Dyanes and say 'oh, you've got one of them D*lly cars', when I took my last Ami6 for an MOT the tester looked underneath it and said 'Oh, it's just a D*lly with a different shape'.

This displeases us at I2F.

It would be annoying enough if it was a sensible name, like if it'd happened with 'Charleston' or 'Beachcomber', but it's made ten times worse because a D*lly is associated in the English language with little girls toys. Imagine a non-2cver looking at something interesting like an old AZAM and saying something like 'Yeah mate, my Aunty used to have one of these Citroen My-little-ponies'.

Back in the late '80s/early '90s a certain type of person bought wollies new and decided to come to 2cv camps and show off their shiny new cars. This was at a time when most of the 2cving scene was skint folk in brushpainted wrecks that was all they could afford, yet was their pride and joy. having somebody looking down their noses at them from their newfangled special editions fresh from the forecourt understandably upset them a bit, and the term 'D*lly wally' was coined for these folk who didn't really 'get' what 2cving was about. That's pretty much where our snobbishness towards wollies began, the name being stuck on anything 2cv shaped since the D*lly was introduced has compounded this.

Now, we're not saying there's anything inherently wrong with either owning, driving or even saying you like the colour scheme or the name. What we're doing is having a little fun based on the fact that the name D*lly has been so overused by people-not-in-the-know that we're sick of it and we slapped the word in the swear filter. It's not designed to offend (actual) D*lly owners, and I think it's fair to say that we'd own and drive wollies should they come our way.

It's only ever meant as a bit of fun. If folk want to get all upset about it, their welcome to, but it won't change our stance on something we're frankly not even that bothered about ourselves.

As a way of apologising to the D*lly wallys we've offended, here's a photo of a D*lly for you:

November 16th, 2011, 10:58 pm
Firing on two.

The irony of it is that Citroen's Dol1y name is a reference to two of the raciest chicks that ever did live: The D0lly Sisters... who danced, shagged, partied, gambled and scandalised their way right to the top of pre-war Broadway. They indulged in menages a trois with princes and captains of industry, trashed cars and ultimately wrecked themselves with booze, drugs, ravines and nooses.

DoIIy never sounded less sissy, quite frankly.
http://www.streetswing.com/histmai2/d2dolly1.htm

If the car had been named the Joplin we'd never have had this problem. :roll:

November 16th, 2011, 10:59 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Janis? :?

ken

Smiffy wrote:
If the car had been named the Joplin we'd never have had this problem. :roll:

November 16th, 2011, 11:04 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next