View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 13th, 2024, 5:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 bugger off you leeching money making scum 
Firing on two.

Post bugger off you leeching money making scum
Some of the things you get sent as Editor...

Quote:
I’m writing to you from a social enterprise called XXX*. We work to facilitate the donation of unwanted cars to charities. The cars are either sold or scrapped with the proceeds going to the charity of the car owner’s choice. So far we have been able to raise in excess of £450,000 for over 400 charities with Cancer Research being the biggest recipient at £85,000.

While we have been featured on the BBC news and in newspapers from the Guardian to The Telegraph and The Times, we still seek to expand upon our attempts to raise public awareness of our scheme and of the potential for their unwanted cars to help a good cause.

I’m aware that quite often when magazines go to print, a last-minute filler is required to make up a page in the advertisement section. As an enterprise that works (successfully!) for charities and has cars as it’s subject matter, I wondered whether you would consider keeping us on your file to use as a last-minute free insert should you require one?

Such exposure would be a great stimulus to donations as the service we provide is not only ethical but it is highly convenient for those with unwanted cars who don’t want the hassle of selling or disposing of it themselves.

So, essentially, they take your car away FOR FREE, either sell it or scrap it and give some money to charity but take a cut themselves, oh AND they want FREE advertising space in our mag which otherwise we would make money from.

I've emailed back with words to the effect of:

Quote:
Hi there,
Thank you for your interesting offer to promote your company and assist our members in scrapping/selling their cars.
Can you please tell me what percentage of the final sale price you would take on a car sold for £1500. I'd like to compare this to the fee eBay would take if our readers were to sell their cars through a charity auction themselves.
Also, forgive me for being a little confused, but I presume that with the rising cost of fuel, your driver's time and recovery vehicle maintenance, your offer to collect vehicles from anywhere in the country to scrap them must be very expensive to your company.
Would I not be better to scrap my car locally and give all the proceeds to charity whilst also minimizing my carbon footprint?
Many thanks,
Sam

*www.wescaboffpeoplesgoodnaturetomakemoney.com

Last edited by samfieldhouse on November 15th, 2011, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 15th, 2011, 9:46 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: bugger off you leeching money making scum
8-) Nice one Sam :P

November 15th, 2011, 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I can't wait to see the reply! When my charleston was killed a few years back, I approached a scrap yard about ten from me, I told him what I had and the extent of the damage. His reply was if I drove it to him (bearing in mind the whole drivers side was stuffed in) he would give me £100. I told him it was undriveable so he then told me, he could send a truck to pick it up but couldn't then give me any money for it. :/ I ended up getting £1000 from the insurance company, then sold the remains to my godfather for a few extra quid. Oh and it's still in my name

November 15th, 2011, 10:27 pm
Firing on two.

Their 'administration' fee would appear to be 25% of the value received plus VAT. So if they get £100 for a scrapper your chosen charity gets £70.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

November 15th, 2011, 10:37 pm
Firing on two.

You could suggest the charity leaves massive bags at the donor's house, they can then drive their old car into the bag and leave it outside their house ready for collection ;)

I have a charity bag arrived just this morning that says please donate books, clothes, brik a brac and unfinished classic car restoration projects. :(

November 16th, 2011, 12:01 pm
Firing on two.

Sam, I don't think this is a scam!

The key phase here is 'Social Enterprise' often called a 'not for profit organisation' of course it does make a profit but that doesn't go to any indvidual or shareholders (if it does its not a social enterprise but a scam!), in this case it goes to charity.

Local village shops are often re-opened as social enterprises with the profits going back into the shop and the local community. Other aims of a social enterprise could be to provide training, employment, improve the environment etc

The Festival I'm involved in organising is considering becoming a S.E. and there may be many more setting up.

November 16th, 2011, 11:07 pm
Firing on two.

Charity is obviously a selfless thing to be involved with. But being stopped in the street being asked for money for something that I don't, and never will give a shit about really winds me up. If i want to donate to a cause I feel is important, I will do so at my own discretion.

However, in this case, I am with Imo. I can see how the wording of the e-mail or letter can be interpreted as forward, but I think them taking a % of donations to cover costs of transporting the cars is fine so long as the majority goes to a worthy fund.

I've just realised that Children in need is going to be on tv soon..... I guess I'll unplug it for a while.

November 16th, 2011, 11:33 pm
Firing on two.

samfieldhouse wrote:
Would I not be better to scrap my car locally and give all the proceeds to charity ..............

Perfectly worded Sam ;) ....[IMHO]

There are too many "Charities" being set up to provide an income for some-one who has nothing better to do than set up a "Charity" and pay himself an income for running it,whilst making a small donation to the named charity [or cause].....It literally amounts to the fact [IMHO] that the guy has "bought himself a job"

We [in South Yorkshire] get the situ. where [so called] "Charities" are posting plastic bags through our letter boxes ....[maybe two or three per week at times] begging for "old clothes,bric-a-brac etc".
These so called "Charities" have even resorted to nicking each others bags [of "old clothes,bric-a-brac etc"].

And have you ever thought about the possibility of getting these so called "charity bags" printed up yourself,and hiring a van to collect them in.... :shock:
A guy living on my street reputedly :roll: does this ....its strange that that he has a Mercedes and two white vans too ...[tbh,if I could prove it,I would report the t**t]

btw ... Wifey & myself tend to throw lots of stuff [clothes] out .....but we always take it straight to the "Cancer Research" shop ourselves personly .....[and before any-one starts telling me about their chosen charity,Cancer Research is mine :!: ]

Hmmm ....just my twopennorth ... :|
Answers on a tenner [£10 note] please to "Terry's Beer Fund,co/ Terry's local" ....or donate it to Cancer Research ... :P

rant over
best regards
T. ;)

C1 UrbanRide[Blue & Orange] {Ltd Ed}

November 17th, 2011, 1:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]