View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 6:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 A-Frame 
Firing on two.

Post A-Frame
A-Frame seems to be the name for it. Discussed in this other thread, I’m a bit curious about this, I’ve never seen it before.
I’m sure it’s totally illegal in Norway, but hey, it looks like a cheap and easy way to move a A-model short distances without help or a trailer. Is it harmful for the steering or front wheels in any way? I guess a tip is to keep the steering-lock off…. ;)

I understand there are many ways to do it. Universal with straps, and more custom-made for bolting to a spesific car.
Do anybody have good pictures of this thing? Like in detail, how it's made and how it’s mounted to a car?

Maybe I can make me one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUF16PqNbgg

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

April 28th, 2009, 12:35 am
super slot

Post Re: A-Frame
Here's an A-frame on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2cv-6-2cv-dolly-A ... 0302093500

this is a 2cv specific one - i've used this type in the past and have found it quite successful. We've A-framed a Dyane 300 miles with no problems & that was being towed by another 2cv! The steering lock must be off for this work.

April 28th, 2009, 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Field Plougher

somtimes i think iot can do gearbox damage

April 28th, 2009, 8:29 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Alternatively, this fellow sells detailed plans on how to build an A frame.
Ebay #150340402310.

If it's only A series cars which are being towed, a much simpler arrangement involves bolting a lightweight frame to the chassis with longer engine bolts.
Rick Pembro, the gearbox guru, had one of that type and towed more cars for longer distances than anyone I know... ;)

ken.

April 28th, 2009, 10:13 am
viking bastard

Now ask Jost from Germany about long distance AZU recovery using A-frame.
Small story about 2cv camaraderie.
His AZU was stored in Alice Springs Australia (center of Oz) at the local car museum. He needed his AZU raid monster to get to Perth for the start of Raid OZ 2008 and the AZU was stuffed and couldn't start. 2 friendly raid bastards from Perth stuck the A frame in their CX and drove 2500 from Perth to Alice to collect the AZU. The A frame is made for A models only, removed the 2 engine mounting bolts, fitted the A frame in less than 5 mins and off they went. Back to Perth on mainly outback dirt road, another 2.500 km. No worries at all, the AZU just sits there following the turbo charged CX. Job done, good on them for being real 2cv friends.Image

April 28th, 2009, 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I've heard that it does not do the synchro much good in the gearbox if A framed long distance...

May 1st, 2009, 12:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]