View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2CV Automatic Transmission/Semi Auto Transmission 

Post 2CV Automatic Transmission/Semi Auto Transmission
Hi,

I am new here. I have always wanted to own and drive a 2CV but I have a disability and only hold an automatic licence (here in the UK if you take your test in an auto you can only drive an auto or semi auto). I have heard that some 2CVs were fitted with a semi automatic transmission called a traffi clutch.

Is this true and does anyone know if any 2CVs have been fitted with automatic transmission?

With many thanks,

Regards

Harley :)

July 15th, 2011, 7:26 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: 2CV Automatic Transmission/Semi Auto Transmission
No 2CVs had auto boxes. The power of the engine would have all been lost in the torque converter.

The trafficlutch still requires the use of a foot.

Welcome, by the way. :)

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

July 15th, 2011, 7:31 pm
Firing on two.

manual box with centrifugal clutch, so no not on an auto gearbox licence.

July 16th, 2011, 8:57 am
Firing on two.

I think in Austria someone is experimenting with a 2CV with an automatic clutch for someone who can use only one leg. Would you like me to inquire how far this experiment is developing?

Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning!

July 16th, 2011, 10:57 am

Hi,

Regarding information about the conversion in Austria, that would be most helpful thank you. I had no idea that the torque convertor would take all the power. My first 3 autos were Renault 5's one of those the first one (they were all original body shape not the later 80s one) Im sure had a cc of under 1000. I presently drive a Toyota iQ which also has a cc of under 1000 but of course the iQ is a recent car with modern technology. I am sure that other small cars with a cc below 1000 came in automatic options. My neighbour has a mini auto which she got in 1984 but Im not sure of its engine size, for a while whilst learning I learnt in both a mini and metro automatic the instructor told me that Austin (later British Leyland) used an automatic gear box that was invented in the 1940s. I have just looked at the wikipedia page for the Fiat 500 and it says that it was only made with manual transmission perhaps the cars with smaller engines did not have the power to run an automatic gearbox - Wikipedia says this about the Renault 5 Auto :

"1978: Introduction of the R5 Automatic, similar to R5 GTL, but with 1289 cc (55 bhp) engine, 3-speed automatic transmission, vinyl roof and front seats from TS" therefore my first Renault 5 must have been 1289cc.

My last but one car was a Renault Kangoo - Kangoo my foot! It was a modern Quatrelle! It was in Cherry Red so I called her Mademoiselle Mon Cherie Quatrelle She reminded me of the Renault 5 and 2CV I had her on a lease and would have got a 2nd one one when the lease ended but Renault had brought out a new version which didn't look so nice like they had mated the Kangoo with a Nissan the result of the Renault Nissan relationship and at the time only came in manual transmission.

It is still my dream to own and drive a 2CV maybe some day I will!

Regards

Harley :)

July 16th, 2011, 1:47 pm
Firing on two.

daf variomatic in a 2cv?

July 16th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Dear Spanners,

I emailed Dave via Ebay and he has been very helpful. He says that he built a lever that when pressed pressed on the clutch engaging it. He says he got his licence changed to drive the 2CV in the UK if you take your test in an auto you are given a 78 category which only permits you to drive an auto I checked the DirectGovt webpage and its still the case that if you have this type of licence that you need to take a test in a manual to be allowed to drive one. With my head injury I am not very good at co ordinating using both feet to operate clutch and gas /brake so my best hope is for a modified 2CV perhaps the last comment of a Daf variomatic is close to the mark as elastic band/CVT is a simple method for an automatic gearbox! Its just a case of hoping and waiting.

Regards

Harley

July 16th, 2011, 10:55 pm

Sean wrote:
daf variomatic in a 2cv?

Hello Harley. I am disabled too and have driven 2cv's etc since 1979. They all have had a hand clutch which I have made (except one). All the comments so far are correct, I passed my test in 1966 with a hand clutch fitted on a Ford Prefect 100E so I have a licence to cover that + autos. I have tried trafficlutch but you do still need to use the pedal when there are revs on the engine. I have tried to fit a solenoid to work it but no success. You will need the 3 pedal licence to use a hand clutch. I also have had two Dafs, brilliant cars but you will find it extremely difficult to fit the transmission to a 2cv!
I reckon your best bet is to use an electric or auto clutch as sold widely for £1000 + . It's expensive but transferable and should satisfy the licence you have. You can pm me if you want any more info, Cheers, John

July 17th, 2011, 7:57 pm
Firing on two.

The Austrian guy that build the car I meant is driving it to Salbris at this moment. You might find him there, he's called Michi (that's all I know at the moment)

If you miss him there he can e-mail me info about the car

Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning!

July 20th, 2011, 8:19 pm
Firing on two.

Sean wrote:
daf variomatic in a 2cv?

Fiat Panda Selecta? 1108cc CVT

Just a thought on a similar sized car - I have no idea of the complexities of swapping the engine /transmission :?

July 20th, 2011, 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next